Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whatever happened to all your small kid stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whatever happened to all your small kid stuff?

I'm very SENTIMENTAL. I have kept things from my Baby pictures, Elementary, Intermediate and High School. As well for each of my children. I've started to give them theres except for my son's. I'll keep his until he gets married.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I know my dad tossed my model rockets that I had from the 1970's sometime in the 1980's. I didn't mind that he did it, they were pretty old and the kit instructions for them was with me, however I didn't keep records on the fin patterns with the exception of a couple of kits and from that I only redone one of them many years ago.

For the rest of the stuff I collected since I moved to Oahu, I gave away the comics I collected during the 1980's and threw away a bunch of board games from that same time period.

Comment

When I joined the USAF back in January 1979, I came home six months later for leave to find out that my mother gave away every stitch of clothing I left behind because, "You wear a uniform now, RIGHT?" Like I was in MASH or something.
        A few years ago a package came to me. It was every letter I ever wrote her, every newspaper clip I ever sent her, every time I was published, she got a copy. It was all in the package. She's a young 65. She's nowhere near dying so the "divesting" argument is a crock here. She hasn't got a single sentimental bone in her body. I am not like that. Her brother lived in the house she grew up in. When he died, she and her sister sold it. There was nothing in there my mother felt compelled to retrieve.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Interesting stuff people ... I forgot about the other kinds of things like the baby piko that falls off. I hope no one thinks it's beef jerky.

I think I'm less sentimental about certain things now that I'm older. It's hard keeping "everything." I wonder what will happen when our children inherit our stuff.

No I don't have storage at one of those facilities but my mother in law's house has all that stuff.
          just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

I don't know if this should be a new thread but has anyone scanned in all of their old family photos? How many? How long did it take? Did you hire a company? Did you go back and put in descriptions? Did you distribute to your family members?
            just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador View Post
              I don't know if this should be a new thread but has anyone scanned in all of their old family photos? How many? How long did it take? Did you hire a company? Did you go back and put in descriptions? Did you distribute to your family members?
              I'm faced with that dilemma now! After my parents passed I took possession of all the family photos; in albums and loose; boxes and boxes of 'em; oh Lordy! I plan on scanning them and archiving on either CDs or DVDs and giving copies to relatives. Problem is...no time to do it. Maybe that's a project that'll have to wait 'til retirement!

To date I've scanned the photos for use on my dad's web page...but that's about it!

Comment

has anyone scanned in all of their old family photos? How many? How long did it take? Did you hire a company? Did you go back and put in descriptions? Did you distribute to your family members?
                A few years ago I scanned my APS photos, took about a hour or so to scan a roll of 25 photos and I had around just about 30 or so rolls, so it ended up a summer project. This covers a time period of 1999 to about 2001 when I using the APS film format.

My 35mm stuff covers a longer period. I am dreading scanning all that stuff.

Comment

I moved back to SoCal lock, stock and barrel, late 1991. I didn't realize how homesick I'd get for Hawaii so returned the week after Iniki, 1992. I stored everything I owned, with the exception of a few 'treasures', under my parents house in SoCal and moved into my already furnished Makaha rental. My parents home sold 12 years later. I'd not seen nor missed anything I'd left behind...and that included some beautiful antiques, awards, photos, clothes, furniture; basically my entire life up 'til 1992.

The furniture and antiques went to a consignment store. What they didn't want went to the community theater to be used as props. The Salvation Army got a truck load of stuff as did a rented dumpster! I still haven't missed anything!

The 'treasures' I brought back to Hawaii were my kids' hand prints in plaster of paris, circa kindergarten days, their first attempts in pottery class not long after kindergarten, a 'trophy' purchased on skid row in LA that my dad bought and had engraved for my high school graduation <g> and some beautiful professional photos of my kids when they were babies and toddlers. All of those items continue to be on display in my home. I wouldn't be without them! Oh...and a blouse my dad personally bought me for Christmas 1961.

As mentioned above, I inherited all of my parents photos. Boxes and boxes of 'em!

Comment

Some toys stay with da dog as a chew toy (stupid sister); some stay in the "attic" (although personally I think we threw them away). As for clothes, most of them went to the Salvation Army. As for the rest, stay at the landfill (although I think my sister has some of my baby stuffed animals).
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                      For the rest of the stuff I collected since I moved to Oahu, I gave away the comics I collected during the 1980's
                      Still have a big box of well stored comics from around 81-82 in a closet at my parent's. Should go check 'em out.

Comment

I'm in the middle of that project right now. (scanning my parent's collection of family photos) The scanner I use goes pretty quick, but it still takes time. I don't even want to think about how long it would take to scan the stuff I've shot. I did yearbook back in high school and I've had photography as a hobby ever since. And I've kept every roll. Talk about a lot of photos! But I need to get around to doing the important ones some time. I noticed a few years ago the color negatives that I shot in the mid to late 70's were shifting color.

Comment

"Whatever happened to all your small kid stuff?"

mom threw it all away. and now am buying it al back on ebay.
                          50's/60's comics. creepy crawlers. vaccu form
                          colorforms

photos?
                          scannng em, then droppin em into video editing program to make animated slide show with music. boring otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55 View Post
                            vaccu form
                            A little hard to get the packs, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                              A little hard to get the packs, isn't it?
                              naaah.. I heard they are being recreated for i think the new version...
                              and if not, make yer own!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55 View Post
                                naaah.. I heard they are being recreated for i think the new version...
                                and if not, make yer own!
                                I'd be surprised if the liability lawyers would let anyone do it again.

Comment

Working...
                                X