Cockfighting: a cultural activity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cockfighting: a cultural activity?

A state house resolution recognizing cockfighting as a cultural activity was passed by the committee on tourism, culture, and international affairs. From there, it goes on to the House judiciary committee, where it is not certain if the resolution will even be heard.

I wonder: Do HT'ers approve of a legislative resolution that recognizes the cultural value of cockfighting? Keep in mind that a resolution is not a law. Even if the resolution is approved, cockfighting would still be an illegal activity.

One comment: State Rep. Joey Manahan voted in favor of the resolution. Nothing wrong with that. But note what he told the HNN reporter.

But to the contrary Representative Joey Manahan, who was born in the Philippines, says he does not think cockfighting is cruel and is okay with the use of gaffs or knifes, which kills the animal during fights.

"It's part of our culture its part of our heritage and it's been there for hundreds of years and I've been to fights and I don't think it's cruel," said Rep. Joey Manahan, (D) Sand Island, Mokauea.
    Me thinks this is one of those soundbites that could come back to haunt Joey Manahan if he has ambitions for higher political office. What he's saying may very well be acceptable to his constituents in lower Kalihi. But in a state senate or city council race involving a larger electorate, you can be sure that those districts will include communities that are fiercely opposed to animal cruelty and that future opponents will use Manahan's statements against him.

KITV and KHON also did reports on the cockfighting resolution.
    Yes
    33.33%
    No
    66.67%
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: Cockfighting: a cultural activity?

Cockfights (the name itself reveals the sexual uncertainty of the human participants,IMNSHO), dog fighting, gladiators, even war.

Do we not have enough violence in the world that we have to promote deadly violence as a spectator sport? This is just a step down from Roman gladiators.

Do you think, even for a minute, that this activity would repress violent urges and make the world a safer place? How does this help society? Where does it fit in 'the Aloha spirit' of our islands?

How about, instead, we fit the breeders with gaffes, throw them in a pit and let them have it out? Let them see what they are inflicting on others?

Forcing animals to fight (they don't fight to the death in nature, just scrap to establish territories) is cruel and psychologically sick. People that participate in this need counseling or jail time.

It was once culturally acceptable to eat human flesh in some places. Shall we also promote that as "as a cultural activity?"

Let's add: human sacrifice to 'the gods.' and other outdated cultural practices, why don't we?

No K
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Just for the record, when the reso got to the full house today, they voted to send it back to committee - in effect, killing it. The current illegality of cockfighting prevails.

Comment

Cockfighting is disturbing and disgusting, just like the idiots who participate in it.
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
          Just for the record, when the reso got to the full house today, they voted to send it back to committee - in effect, killing it. The current illegality of cockfighting prevails.
          True, thank goodness! Although just to reiterate..... the resolution would not have legalized cockfighting.

However, the Advertiser is reporting that Manahan is considering reviving the issue again next year. So yeah, despite the slam-dunk rejection from his House colleagues, this clown (who chairs the Tourism committee) is planning to waste more precious time in the 2011 session discussing this nonsense instead of spending it on crafting measures that would help the visitor industry.

Good grief, I don't know what that guy is thinking! Maybe Manahan's trying to win the votes of all the rooster breeders in his district when re-election time rolls around. But as I said in my earlier post, this kind of pandering is short-sighted and he's probably wrecked any chances he might have had for a higher profile office. In the meantime, if House Speaker Calvin Say and the Democratic caucus aren't embarrassed with Manahan using his Tourism committee chairmanship as a bully pulpit for cockfighting, they really ought to be!
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
            It was once culturally acceptable to eat human flesh in some places. Shall we also promote that as "as a cultural activity?"

Let's add: human sacrifice to 'the gods.' and other outdated cultural practices, why don't we?
            Yes, sure, and kewl.
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
              Cockfighting is disturbing and disgusting, just like the idiots who participate in it.
              Then you'll have to call me an idiot from here on in, TG. I used to go to chicken fights with my dad, and we watched them and bet them. We even get to buy the loser's chicken to feed our family.

But like all sports, it went down to hell now that breeders started to give them drug and steroids. No one wouldn't eat the loser chicken now.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                Good grief, I don't know what that guy is thinking! Maybe Manahan's trying to win the votes of all the rooster breeders in his district when re-election time rolls around. But as I said in my earlier post, this kind of pandering is short-sighted and he's probably wrecked any chances he might have had for a higher profile office. In the meantime, if House Speaker Calvin Say and the Democratic caucus aren't embarrassed with Manahan using his Tourism committee chairmanship as a bully pulpit for cockfighting, they really ought to be!
                And you wonder why I have NO confidence in society's norms.

Comment

I would be for the resolution if the animal gladiators were kakaroaches. I almost choked on a KFC when hearing the resolution. Did the resolution choked the chicken?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                    I would be for the resolution if the animal gladiators were kakaroaches. I almost choked on a KFC when hearing the resolution. Did the resolution choked the chicken?
                    Unfortunately, there's an ick factor when it comes to cockroaches.

Comment

Yeah. There's also a major ick factor when it comes to arming innocent chickens and forcing them to fight for amusement.

Comment

Some people say we should not interfere with other people's cultures.

For instance, girls are not allowed to attend school in some cultures. Do you agree with that, or would you try to change their culture? What about no female drivers in some Arab cultures? Or the practice of female circumcision in other cultures? Folks against the War on Terror believe that terrorists should be allowed to practice their culture, which includes teaching women and children to wear bombs and walk into cafes or train stations or othersuch.

Believe it or not, some folks think a baby was born from a virgin.

So who are YOU to say what is right or wrong, from a cultural point of view?
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

How is cockfighting worse than hunting?

At least in a cockfight, the chickens know what they are expected to do. In the "game" of hunting, do the animals know that they are playing? I digress...
                          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                            Yeah. There's also a major ick factor when it comes to arming innocent chickens and forcing them to fight for amusement.
                            Not really. You get to eat the loser chicken afterward (if there are no drug or steroid in its system).

Can't really eat a cockroach (organic or otherwise), like some other cultures.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                              In the "game" of hunting, do the animals know that they are playing? I digress...
                              OMG - WHAT!?! Hunting is a game and the animals are playing along (or are they?)!!!!!

This is not a game! Hunting is not a game for those poor animals when they're being stalked by humans with weapons!! When they run terrified, sometimes wounded, they are trying to LIVE, a natural instinct! I assure you, animals' pain and suffering is not a game. It is not for our selfish entertainment! Making chickens fight each other (of course, each chicken is 'dying' to win) is absurd. Duh, put them in close quarters with a scary crowd of people around, and I bet they'd fight their own mothers to get out of there!! Because they want to LIVE! They aren't actors for our entertainment - they're animals with no choice but to 'entertain' bloodthirsty, callous jerks.

Comment

Working...
                              X