X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Olden Days

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
    Paddle? You talkin bout Da Paddle? HA HA HA

Kalakaua Middle School had the biggest Paddle and da meanest teacher to whack whack da okoles of the students who went through her back room! I was one of dem. My okole was sooo sore. Dem days neba have abuse. We took it and could not grumble. If we grumbled moa we got whack whacks!

I no kid you.

We called her Apple A$$. She was an old Paki teacher who walked like a duck. With her black hair in a bun. She ruled. She enjoyed having control and having the students fear her. If it was today, she'll be put in prison.

Auntie Lynn
    was that Mrs. Fong?

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
      was that Mrs. Fong?
      I take it you've had "corporal-experience" with MRS FONG!

But good thing corporal punishment was outlawed. Could you imagine how it would have evolved in today's world if it were allowed to continue? Teachers would be shooting kids with guns in the kneecaps for chewing gum in class by now
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
        Paddle? You talkin bout Da Paddle? HA HA HA
        I talked to a retired teacher who worked at Kalakaua back in the days when corporal punishment was still allowed. She didn't need Da Paddle to keep her kids in line. Heck, she didn't even need a ruler. She simply perfected the art of pinching earlobes.

For her, it was quick and effective way to quell any misbehavior without all the drama that would otherwise be involved with her going to the desk and taking out the paddle/ruler.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

NEVER underestimate the power of a good stink-eye. *shudder!*

Comment

• Re: Olden days-Just for fun

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
            Jingle Jump.

Being able to hula hoop.

Wax covered dill pickle for a nickel from Marigold Market.

Legal aerial fireworks, basically skyrockets and roman candles. Also, Duck brand firecrackers that could blow your fingernail off. Not this anemic stuff nowdays.

Red dirt stained bibadeez.

"Surfah shots" made with 4 different colored pieces.

The smell at Honolulu Harbor waterfront. A mixture of diesel fuel/crude oil and pineapples. Also the rumble the car made when we drove over the train tracks.

Summer jobs picking pineapple. Yeah, I actually miss it.

Being able to drive all the way around Kaena Point in our 59 Ford station wagon.

Driving to Kailua via the Old Pali Road.

Fishing for papio and moi where Turtle Bay Resort is. Having to get up at 4am, eat Frosted Flakes, pile into Unko's truck and laying down in the bed to look at the stars while we drove to Kahuku, then having to use a key to unlock the chain to get onto the property. Pork and Beans and vienna sausage sammiches for lunch.

Sneaking into East Range down by Wahiawa Middle School to go swimming off the bridge then having to hide from the MP's. More than once, we had to tie our clothes to a stick and back stroke to the other side of the river to get home.

Eating dinner at Sunnyside at the old Wahiawa bus station.

Yamada's down in Wailua near the old theater.

$.35 Saturday matinees at Wahiawa Theater.

Romping through all the gulches in Wahiawa trying to avoid the Green Lady while hunting for.....Da Rolling Eye, of course.
            My Mother said she remembers being scared of the Green Lady when walking through the Wahiawa gulch. She also remembers hiding from the MP's when playing at the East Range down by Wahiawa Middle School. She also said she use to go to Marigold Market too.

My Parents grew up in Wahiawa and graduated from Leilehua High School in the early 60's. We lived on the same street that the old theater use to be on the cornner of. My Fathers Parents lived on Koikoi St.

Take Care,
            Cheers, Patrick

Comment

• Re: Olden days-Just for fun

Fun?

I remember when we could trust our politicians and our president, to be honest and caring, and to look out for our welfare. Maybe it was a child's illusion, but I thought Dwight D. Eisenhower cared about America and Americans. (Even though we called him 'Old Baldy' - except when our parents were listening). We idolized JFK and 'Camelot,' until we discovered he had committed us to VietNam.

I remember buying my first pistol when I was just sixteen. Try that now! Then getting my concealed carry weapon permit at age 18 (I still have it). I never had to unholster my Beretta except for target practice and cleaning.

Feeling secure, not worrying about people taking advantage of you. Being free -

Why Not?
              Last edited by Kaonohi; August 10, 2009, 12:31 AM. Reason: sChpeLiNg
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I was a war baby and at the age of 5 we had black yanks stationed at Burtonwood and white yanks somewhere else because they wouldn't fight together. I liked all of the them and used to say "Got any gum chum?" I would sometimes get a Herse bar but often I would get picked up and carried because I reminded them of somebody back home.

Our soldiers used to say the Yanks were oversexed, overpaid and over here but I like them. Most of them were funny, they had not been to war and still had a sense of humuor.
                Drinking alcohol was banned at this time on Sunday but the black Americans caused 'speakeasys' to be opened. Fat Johnies and Dutch Eddies you can still get a drink in today.
                Last edited by Barry; August 10, 2009, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X