Hawaii bound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii bound

...and it needs to be noted that not everyone who is knowledgeable or curious about or fascinated by aspects of Hawai`i necessarily wants to live there.

Comment

Re: Great place to visit, but...

Originally posted by ErikaMarie View Post
      What does a poll have anything to do w/ me & whether or not I would be happy living in Hawaii?
      Hi Erica and welcome to HT. I've a member of the list for over a year and didn't make my first post until a few days ago.

The advice given thus far has been very good, advice about the move. Do lots of home work. Have a solid game plan and if at all possible a safety net: i.e. A good chunk of change to fall back on.

I've been doing the research for almost three years now and I still have more I'd like to know. You can't be too well informed. IMHO. Really, find which island is going to suit your lifestyle the best. From the people I've talked to who live there, every island has it own quirks and personalty. Find out what suits "you" the best.

Look at housing, population density, the school systems. Even the age demographic may be important to you. Sit down and ask yourself what you're willing to give up to live in Hawai'i. You have to give things up and sometimes even people.

Hawai'i is (by definition) the most remote piece of land in the whole world! Always keep that fact in mind. You'll be a long ways from everywhere and if you're not ready for that, then maybe you're not quite ready for Hawai'i.

I'm not trying to put off the islands. Just trying to point out that some of these things are overlooked in the grand scheme of things when one starts this process.

It's a huge step. Right now, I'm in a huge house (by Hawaiian standards) and I and my wife have had to get our heads around that "huge" just isn't going to happen in Hawai'i and I've always been fine with that. My wife, on the other hand found the whole idea crazy at first and the more she became educated about what could be gained, she started to come around.

Good luck with the move and hope to hear more from you.
      Last edited by Mask; October 5, 2006, 12:53 PM.
      Mask

Comment

Originally posted by Mask View Post
        Hawai'i is (by definition) the most remote piece of land in the whole world!
        Actually Rapa Nui (aka Easter Island) is the most remote piece of land in the whole world; Hawai'i is the most remote island chain.

Sorry to nitpick ... I agree with all that you said. I'm here mainly because I'm interested in Hawai'i, the culture, the trials and tribulations (and joys) of daily life, and so on. Good place to see that. Also HT is a great way to waste time. =) I have no concrete plans to move there at the moment (yet), though it's something my wife and I have discussed quite a bit.

For the people on here who are thinking of moving and feel defensive when people taunt you or try to discourage you... "why bodda you?" An internet forum is not a good place to look for acceptance on your decisions in life, only you can do that. I've often found that those discouragements and taunts have something for me to learn behind them though.

Comment

Re: Hawaii bound

Originally posted by sand86 View Post
          It's a good thing not everyone wants to live in hawaii. There isnt room for everyone.

Unfortunately it appears that more people do want to live in Hawai'i than don't, so it is becoming overpopulated. That's why Craig and I are going to buy our own island chain in FP and refer to them as the 'HT Islands'. I wonder if he remembers that...
          "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
          "But I can't even read good."
          "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
          "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
            Actually Rapa Nui (aka Easter Island) is the most remote piece of land in the whole world; Hawai'i is the most remote island chain.
            You Are Right! The three words my wife love to hear most.

Bard, You just have to keep saying, I think can. I think can.
            Mask

Comment

Mask, from my research, I would like to live on Oahu, perhaps in the area of Kailua.

This isn't for some years down the road; however. I would still like to move to Florida temporarily before I move, but my boyfriend wants us to really only move once for a very long time. We'll see, I guess.
              <3 EriKa
              ErikaMarie.us

Comment

Originally posted by ErikaMarie View Post
                Mask, from my research, I would like to live on Oahu, perhaps in the area of Kailua.

This isn't for some years down the road; however. I would still like to move to Florida temporarily before I move, but my boyfriend wants us to really only move once for a very long time. We'll see, I guess.
                Always best to take your time on things like this.
                Mask

Comment

Originally posted by Mask View Post
                  Always best to take your time on things like this.
                  Unless an overpass falls on you on your way to the airport to move to Hawai'i

Comment

Working...
                  X