Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aloha from Massachusetts

Originally posted by Mask View Post
    Here's something to help your craving for fall.
    <sigh> the sound and smell of a fire crackling in the fireplace, hot spiced apple cider, your face feeling the crispness of the season, the color of the leaves...yes, New England is a wonderful place to be this time of the year! (You can have it the rest of the year, though! )

Thnks for the pics of NOLA and New England, Mark.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

It's was my pleasure Miulang!

Autumn has just the opposite affect on me. All I think of is the coming of winter and the eight to nine hours of daylight. It's really awful. I lived in this area for a year when I was a kid and winters were a lot rougher then, but I was a kid and it didn't bother me. Now the cold just eats right through me and I swear, I have to run the heat for nine months of the year. It's just ridiculous. So, if you can't beat it. . . . Quit! I'm out of here as soon as humanly possible.
      Mask

Comment

It's was my pleasure Miulang!

Autumn has just the opposite affect on me. All I think of is the coming of winter and the eight to nine hours of daylight. It's really awful. I lived in this area for a year when I was a kid and winters were a lot rougher then, but I was a kid and it didn't bother me. Now the cold just eats right through me and I swear, I have to run the heat for nine months of the year. It's just ridiculous. So, if you can't beat it. . . . Quit! I'm out of here as soon as humanly possible.
        Mark, do you know about SAD (seasonal affective disorder)?. Sometimes people who live in areas where there is less light in the winter get the blue funkies (MA is bad, but think about the people in AK who sometimes only get 1 or 2 hours of daylight in a "day"! The treatment for SAD involves exposure to a certain frequency of light (in a "black box"). If you get really depressed in the winter, then you might need some psychotropic drugs, but try some of the hints in this article first before resorting to pills. Since for sure you are going to have to endure at least one more winter, maybe trying out the black box technique might help make things more tolerable for you.

Miulang
        Last edited by Miulang; October 1, 2006, 06:19 PM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
          Mark, do you know about SAD (seasonal affective disorder)?. Sometimes people who live in areas where there is less light in the winter get the blue funkies (MA is bad, but think about the people in AK who sometimes only get 1 or 2 hours of daylight in a "day"! The treatment for SAD involves exposure to a certain frequency of light (in a "black box"). If you get really depressed in the winter, then you might need some psychotropic drugs, but try some of the hints in this article first before resorting to pills. Since for sure you going to have to endure at least one more winter, maybe trying out the black box technique might help make things more tolerable for you.

Miulang
          Yep, I'm aware of it and I've tried psycho-tropics and they don't work. Having to sit in front of a light box for two to three hours a day is just not an option for me. I used to get out a lot more before we had our daughter and I became a house dad. The extra indoor time (I know) doesn't help at all.

When I move I intend a complete overhaul of my lifestyle as my daughter is older now and I'll be able to rejoin the working life.

Don't ever think running a house full time is easy. It not! I've had some pretty funky jobs in my life but this is probably the hardest job I've ever done.
          Mask

Comment

I have to mention something to you, Mask. Inasmuch as you dread the upcoming time change and shorter days, all is not lost. There is hope, in a way. As you know, the shortest day of the year, in the Northern Hemisphere...the one with the least amount of daylight hours, is on December 21st...BUT....the evenings (in these latitudes) stop growing shorter on December 8. They actually start getting longer again, in terms of daylight, around December 12th. Now the mornings continue to lose overall daylight length until December 27 and start to get longer again on January 9 (Between Dec. 27 and January 8, the time of sunrise is nearly constant). So in a matter of just over two months, the turnaround for later sunsets begins. If you tune yourself to the sunrises and sunsets like I do, being the old sodbuster I am, you too will note that the evenings start to noticably get longer around Christmas. So when the big time change comes later this month..don't despair...just remember that the sunsets start getting later and later in about five weeks.

BTW, the time adjustment that will be coming soon is actually known as "Daylight Saving Time"....not, as often seen, "Daylight Savings Time". There is officially no "s" on the word "Saving". This is a common error that many newspapers and calenders make, but as noted in the all of the "Farmers' Almanacs" I anachronistically continue to read, the time change is officially "Daylight Saving Time". Also: You probably know that beginning in October 2007 there will be permanent adjustments made to DST....starting then, DST will begin one week later than it normally had been starting, and it will end three weeks eariler than it had been ending in 2008. I have a feeling that in due time, the whole concept of DST will be trashed....it's a old time adjustment that was made when this nation was much more agrarian than it is now...I really don't see much need for it anymore.
            Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; October 2, 2006, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Hello and thank you for the welcome. All I can say is it's time to get out the sweaters!!! Brrrrrrr!

And the polar fleece! Dang it's cold this morning! The sun isn't out as early and our tee times have had to be moved up a bit!
              Lovena

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
                I have to mention something to you, Mask. Inasmuch as you dread the upcoming time change and shorter days, all is not lost. There is hope, in a way. As you know, the shortest day of the year, in the Northern Hemisphere...the one with the least amount of daylight hours, is on December 21st...BUT....the evenings (in these latitudes) stop growing shorter on December 8. They actually start getting longer again, in terms of daylight, around December 12th. Now the mornings continue to lose overall daylight length until December 27 and start to get longer again on January 9 (Between Dec. 27 and January 8, the time of sunrise is nearly constant). So in a matter of just over two months, the turnaround for later sunsets begins. If you tune yourself to the sunrises and sunsets like I do, being the old sodbuster I am, you too will note that the evenings start to noticably get longer around Christmas. So when the big time change comes later this month..don't despair...just remember that the sunsets start getting later and later in about five weeks.

BTW, the time adjustment that will be coming soon is actually known as "Daylight Saving Time"....not, as often seen, "Daylight Savings Time". There is officially no "s" on the word "Saving". This is a common error that many newspapers and calenders make, but as noted in the all of the "Farmers' Almanacs" I anachronistically continue to read, the time change is officially "Daylight Saving Time". Also: You probably know that beginning in October 2007 there will be permanent adjustments made to DST....starting then, DST will begin one week later than it normally had been starting, and it will end three weeks eariler than it had been ending in 2008. I have a feeling that in due time, the whole concept of DST will be trashed....it's a old time adjustment that was made when this nation was much more agrarian than it is now...I really don't see much need for it anymore.
                All I know is that these time shifts have got to go from my life. DST was one of the most stupid ideas that Ben Franklin ever came up with and all farmers generally hate it.

I just need a nice square day. 12 hrs. light and 12 hrs. night. (or there about) And far as DST becoming shorter. . . . It's not ! It's being made longer. See DST With that in mind and all the other stuff that is happening here on the mainland, I want out! They (the Government) will never give up DST and you may not remember the crap we had to endure during the 70's when Nixon had the bright idea to have DST all year long! They had kids going to school in the dark! Needless to say, they had to stop that. But this new trend to keep adding to DST isn't going away.

They think it'll save energy and I really feel that it won't. I really don't see how it can. As you said " it was geared to the agrarian and we (the mainland) have only about 3% of the farmers that we had in 1900. We live indoors and most of us work in doors and most times in these brutal winters we have up here, it makes more sense to keep to keep the shades drawn to hold in the heat than to let in the light. So the new plan they have cooked up for us with DST is just a huge shot in the foot.

Sorry for the rant. [close rant]
                Mask

Comment

Mask: I understand your point of view. The wording of my post regarding Daylight Saving Time makes it appear that I'm confusing it with Daylight Standard Time, and I apologize for this. Daylight Saving Time begins in March; it ends in October. So, yes, Daylight Saving is actually growing in terms of the overall days it is in effect. But the fact that it is being extended one week later at its end in Fall 2007 will have a net effect of giving those of us in these latitudes one more week of later sunsets in the fall than we used to. Not a bad thing when daylight is becoming a scarce commodity around here. I haven't figured out the what the net effect will be though when DST begins in March three weeks earlier, but for me, I'm sure it won't amount to much. In March, the overall length of daylight hours has increased to the point to when the sun rises is of no real importance to me. (I'm up at 3:30AM every morning and it's always dark, no what time of the year it is..I ultimately see the sun rise.)

I am confidant that DST will end..there is so much grassroots sentiment against it. I remember the Boston Globe had an article on the subject not long ago (maybe in April?) which reported how there are more of those against it now than for it.

Like you, I loathe the earlier sunsets as well. As a marathon runner in constant training, I hate being out on a training run and watching the sun fall below the horizon, with 8 more miles to go before I can call it quits. I'd much rather start my training runs in pitch darkness in the morning and be out on my running course to witness the sun rising...that's an exhilerating feeling to see that!

I was in Hawaii when Nixon instituted the time shift in the early '70s...as you probably know, Hawaii doesn't deal with this DST nonsense. But I was aware of what was going on in the mainland with it.

I have to say that Hawaii will fulfill your desire to be in a place with relatively equal periods of day and night, if you can deal with mornings that always start at (around) 7AM and end (promptly) at 6PM or so. Unlike these latitudes, where we have a gradually decline of daylight into dusk into nightfall, it's almost as if somebody all of a sudden turns out the lights in Hawaii...it goes from light to dark so much quicker than it does on the mainland. Also, I don't ever remember spending anytime in the summer, in Hawaii, where during a day in June, I could be up past 9PM and still be in daylight...if being in this latitides has any benefits, the late-day summer daylight may be one of them.
                  Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; October 2, 2006, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
                    I have to say that Hawaii will fulfill your desire to be in a place with relatively equal periods of day and night, if you can deal with mornings that always start at (around) 7AM and end (promptly) at 6PM or so.
                    About an hour earlier than that for Hilo. Most people are at work at 7AM (8AM for the sleepyheads), the sun goes behind the clouds for good at 4-5PM, and the town is shut down for the night at 7PM. Yeah - bam, it gets dark fast.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
                      About an hour earlier than that for Hilo. Most people are at work at 7AM (8AM for the sleepyheads), the sun goes behind the clouds for good at 4-5PM, and the town is shut down for the night at 7PM. Yeah - bam, it gets dark fast.
                      You know beaker, that wouldn't be so bad. I've always been nocturnal and with a even light schedule and equal night to day ratio I might even become diurnal. That's one of the things that is a factor in me choosing Hawai'i / Kauai'i as a destination. I don't want to have to work to see the the sun rise and a early sunset would be okay too. Having the sunrise greet me would be just fine.
                      Mask

Comment

Seconded on the short winter days.. ugh. It's a neat phenominon at first for someone who's always lived in the south. But the super long days in the summer cause me troubles sleeping and the super short days (mostly gray and overcast over here) cause me S.A.D. type problems. I've gotten some full spectrum lamps and they help a little, but not enough.

Not that I'm complaining about the area... So many things I love about this place. The rain isn't even really what "gets you". It's those short days and the overcast for weeks at a time in the winter.

Our leaves are starting to change here too, btw. Got some beautiful pics from a backpacking trip over this last weekend. Maybe I'll post one up on this thread when I've got access to the files later tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
                          Seconded on the short winter days.. ugh. It's a neat phenominon at first for someone who's always lived in the south. But the super long days in the summer cause me troubles sleeping and the super short days (mostly gray and overcast over here) cause me S.A.D. type problems. I've gotten some full spectrum lamps and they help a little, but not enough.

Not that I'm complaining about the area... So many things I love about this place. The rain isn't even really what "gets you". It's those short days and the overcast for weeks at a time in the winter.

Our leaves are starting to change here too, btw. Got some beautiful pics from a backpacking trip over this last weekend. Maybe I'll post one up on this thread when I've got access to the files later tonight.
                          Bring on the pics. Bard!
                          Mask

Comment

You know beaker, that wouldn't be so bad. I've always been nocturnal and with a even light schedule and equal night to day ratio I might even become diurnal.
                            Hilo is definitely a "morning person" kind of place. Other than the morning ritual of sunrise, I avoid the Sun as much as possible, so the early "sunset" behind the clouds at 3-4PM is a bonus for me.
                            Last edited by beaker; October 2, 2006, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Just a note: Someone apparently from this list sent me a phone text message a few minutes ago. And I quote:
                              "I live in Hawaii, a place of perpetully warm & sunny weather. You don't. My advice to you: Buy a heavy coat & just deal with the cold."

Just a note of a matter of fact that this person doesn't know me well or for that matter at all. I already have plenty of heavy coats and I do "deal with the cold". My message to he or she is: See ya next year. . . neighbor!!!! The wheel of karma goes round and round and bad karma always comes back at you!

Whoever you may be, quit hiding behind your cell phone and lets talk in the open!
                              Mask

Comment

Just a note: Someone apparently from this list sent me a phone text message a few minutes ago. And I quote:
                                "I live in Hawaii, a place of perpetully warm & sunny weather. You don't. My advice to you: Buy a heavy coat & just deal with the cold."

Just a note of a matter of fact that this person doesn't know me well or for that matter at all. I already have plenty of heavy coats and I do "deal with the cold". My message to he or she is: See ya next year. . . neighbor!!!! The wheel of karma goes round and round and bad karma always comes back at you!

Whoever you may be, quit hiding behind your cell phone and lets talk in the open!
                                Um hello... who did you give your number too? We don't have access to your cell phone unless you pm'd someone and gave them your number!
                                Or are you talking they Instant Messaged you from your profile that you can choose to remove?
                                Last edited by damontucker; October 2, 2006, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X