The Manoa Flood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Manoa Flood

Much of the UH-Manoa campus is littered and muddy, electricity is off in some areas, but the greatest damage appears to have been at Hamilton Library, especially in the Annex Building. A number of windows are broken and it appears that furniture and everything inside has been tossed around (some chairs partly out the broken windows).

Busy days ahead ....

Re: The Manoa Flood

And that's just a typical Manoa day! Can you imagine when it really rains?
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Just saw on the UH web site that the Mānoa campus will be CLOSED tomorrow -- no classes. Apparently there's been a LOT of damage.

Comment

I saw the headline in the Advertiser that Maona Stream overflowed but where the stream flows by the UH isn't the height around 8 to 10 feet or so? Or just that water came from another direction?

Comment

Just "Mother Nature" paying us back for not taking care of her land, I guess. The people who really get me are the ones who pay big bucks for the land to build equally big buck houses on view lots that overlook high cliffs and who don't do any infrastucture reinforcement. So the first bad rainstorm comes along with the erosion and then their houses are at the bottom of the cliff! And then they have the nerve to sue their municipality for negligence? Um, I believe the homeowners are the negligent ones.

The other people who are idiots are the ones who insist on building on flood plains and then don't get flood insurance because it's too expensive! Duh.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            Just saw on the UH web site that the Mānoa campus will be CLOSED tomorrow -- no classes.
            Holy moly, then it must have been a lot of rain. I remember UH-Hilo closed because of heavy rains once, and I joked, "That's like the University of Siberia closing because of snow!"

But for the whole hawaii.edu domain to be yanked and replaced with a single information page... including the ominous notice that "the UH Library Information Systems, including Voyager, sustained extremely severe damage"? Whew.
            Originally posted by Albert
            A number of windows are broken and it appears that furniture and everything inside has been tossed around (some chairs partly out the broken windows).
            Seriously? Did the whole ground floor fill up with water or something? That's amazing. I used to hang out at SLIS in the basement, and always wondered how the place would handle drainage in a flood...

Comment

This isn't the first time lower Manoa was flooded (near Manoa Longs). About 9-years ago the same thing happened with the same areas getting flooded and the same kind of damage happening. Seems like it's a 10-year thing in Manoa. I remember Manoa Shopping center's parking lot fronting Longs Drugs covered in mud. That's about where Manoa stream was diverted and allowed to run along the Koko Head side of the valley.

I would also imagine that filling in the quarry down by the Les Murakami stadium (Rainbow Stadium) may have had an impact as that area had a very large pond fed by an artesian well. That pond is pretty much a puddle now as that whole area has been backfilled to it's present condition.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                But for the whole hawaii.edu domain to be yanked and replaced with a single information page... including the ominous notice that "the UH Library Information Systems, including Voyager, sustained extremely severe damage"? Whew.
                So UHM uses Voyager now? I haven't gone to their OPAC in a long time. Maybe there's hope for me getting a job there, if they need a serials person...

I remember for the Library Management class(taught by Prof. Jackson) we had a mock disaster drill. Guess the students get to do it fo' real this time...

Comment

Gerard Fryer of UH Mānoa posted his initial observations of the flood damage on soc.culture.hawaii. It sounds pretty bad.

Comment

The video Channel 8 had at 10:00pm last night was good, showing horrible pictures.
                    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

This would be a good time, I think, to mention that you can donate to the University of Hawai'i Foundation online. You can even specify exactly which UH program you want your money to go to. There's a category for "UHM Libraries - General / Unrestricted", which I suspect would be the best for helping Hamilton Library rebuild its collection. Please kōkua, folks. This flood is a real disaster for UH.

Comment

Gerard Fryer paints a gut-wrenching picture of the scene in a post to soc.culture.hawaii:
                        About 8:30 p.m. Saturday, after about an hour of torrential rains, a wall of water hit Hamilton library and broke through the windows on the mauka side. A flood of water and mud surged into the basement. A class was in progress at the time, but the water blocked their escape route up the stairs. The students and the instructor had to break out through the windows along the Mall side. The water surged through and around Hamilton basement, swept out across the Mall, sped around Art and the Chemistry building and created a raging torrent across the Sustainability Courtyard. Sakamaki Hall and Krauss Hall were flooded...

Huge areas of the campus are covered in mud and everywhere you look there are government documents, maps, books and pamphlets: all stuff that was in the basement collections of Hamilton. The Mall is littered with broken computers, office supplies, and bits of furniture. In the zone 13 parking lot between Physical Sciences and Chem I found a bunch of muddy, ripped-up late-19th century geological maps of Pennsylvania. All the way through the Hawaii Institute of Geophysics building and into Sakamaki there was a trail of loose pages written in Gujerati. In Sakamaki, all the first-floor rooms have mud on the floor, and the two conversation pits in the atria are full to the brim with muddy water. The picturesque outdoor carp pool at Krauss Hall is full of mud.

Comment

Hmmm when I went to UH Manoa many moons ago I always wondered what would happen at Hamilton if the basement got flooded, oh well now we know.

So I wonder who'll be blamed for this carnage of historical documents? I'm sure the Army Corp of Engineers will come up with the same results as from the last flood there and in Mapunapuna last year...clogged streams filled with overgrown brush and accumulated silt. I've seen Manoa stream and can attest to the fact that it did indeed need a good cleaning a long time ago.

What's really sad is that isn't AYSO starting up around now? Where will the Manoa kids play?

Comment

Further inspection this morning revealed that the damage is much worse than it first appeared. There is still no electricity in the area around Hamilton and a number of large generators have been brought in. The force of that water must have been incredible ... I even saw computer equipment which had been washed out into the grounds.

Comment

This article in today's Advertiser has more details, and a couple of photos. Man, what a mess.

Comment

Working...
                              X