Hawaii's News Papers Which do you Prefer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii's News Papers Which do you Prefer

I prefer the Bulletin online, it's the best way to keep track of the news from the mainland. But I am biased because I used to work there for a time. I will admit that once in a while the breaking news function on the Advertiser website is great, especially because of the time difference. I came into work one morning and found out at 2 or 3 a.m. Hawaii time that the Korean guy from the LOST television show got pulled over for a DUI. (Big news for me since I'm a LOST junkie)

Having said all that, since leaving Honolulu I have now worked in two towns (Yakima, WA and Albuquerque, NM) where there is only one major daily and let me tell you, there is a big difference. Competition lights the fires under reporters, forces editors to go with the story today rather than tomorrow and holds the powerful more accountable because there are more eyes watching.

Hawaii is a very lucky place to still have both the Honolulu Star-Bulletin and Advertiser, no matter which you prefer. And I hate Gannett.

And by the way, Richard Walker is one of the best photographers I have ever worked with. That Ka Leo comment was lame and uncalled for.

Comment

Originally posted by sin View Post
      Hawaii is a very lucky place to still have both the Honolulu Star-Bulletin and Advertiser, no matter which you prefer. And I hate Gannett.
      I agree wholeheartedly. That’s why I question SB’s business strategy because what’s good in the short term, isn’t necessarily valuable in the long-term. I want to see SB prosper for ages to come. Like the events SB covers, the industry it is a part of is ever-changing, and success is based on a company’s ability to adapt.

Originally posted by sin View Post
      And by the way, Richard Walker is one of the best photographers I have ever worked with. That Ka Leo comment was lame and uncalled for.
      I think Dick’s photography is great! I never questioned his ability. From my perspective, though, his “no idea how a newsroom operates” comment was equally as lame. I was very offended by it. Newsrooms vary wildly in everything from beats, deadlines and resources to editorial philosophy, content management and mediums (print, t.v., radio, internet). Photographer is just one job in a newsroom of many different talents and responsibilities. A photo is often an important element in a story and on the printed page. But how often will it stand alone with no story, caption or headline? Probably as often as 2-minute television news package with no sound, graphics, supers or subtitles.

But I want to be clear on my original point: In print media, a story can and often does stand alone. My feeling is that despite Burl’s valid assessment that the Advertiser posts a lot of PR gibberish, they also post good stuff IMHO, like you said, in the breaking news panel — and timeliness makes all the difference. If I compared a decade of SB to a decade of the Advertiser on the whole, SB wins hands down. But in the here and now, on a daily basis, it’s obvious the Gannett salary lure has taken its toll.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Hawaii Hochi all the way! Now that's some damn fine reading!

Comment

Originally posted by mediababy67 View Post
          Hawaii Hochi all the way! Now that's some damn fine reading!
          Where can I purchase Hawaii Hoochie?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
            Where can I purchase Hawaii Hoochie?
            Allow me to direct you to the appropriate forum/thread for that.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Rock 'n Roll hoochie coo.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                Allow me to direct you to the appropriate forum/thread for that.
                There are those two pages in Pennysaver.

Comment

There are those two pages in Pennysaver.
                  Woo-hoo! Didn't know the PennySaver was now running those kine ads - get one bargain?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Woo-hoo! Didn't know the PennySaver was now running those kine ads - get one bargain?
                    As Frankie Goes to Hollywood would sing,
                    Relax Don't Do It
                    When You Want to Go To It
                    When You Want to ++++

Comment

As Frankie Goes to Hollywood would sing,
                      Better ask Frankie's Market how he feels about that.

Comment

Another interesting point when weighing the two papers, is how far each publication is willing to go to protect its own “freedom of the press.” The latest kudos have to go to the Honolulu Advertiser, for their relentless prodding and even the filing of a lawsuit, to force the University of Hawai‘i to comply with disclosure laws in the Sugar Bowl ticket flap.

On the other side of the coin, thumbs down has to go to the Star-Bulletin, who as former SB investigative reporter Ian Lind points out in his blog today, thumbs its nose at the the legislature’s attempt to defend the Sunshine Law. Sad.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

West Hawaii Today. Just thought I'd be controversial...

Peter F

Comment

i like the advertiser but switched to the bulletin to get an afternoon delivery. then the bulletin went and switched to morning deliveries in kailua. today i switched back to the advertiser because there were way too many delivery problems with the bulletin.
                            Last edited by kani-lehua; July 25, 2008, 06:29 PM.
                            "chaos reigns within.
                            reflect, repent and reboot.
                            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I prefer the Bulletin because I like to support the underdog, but also like to read it, especially its editorial and Today section.

Comment

Working...
                              X