Audy Kimura

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audy Kimura

One hit wonder. "Friends & Lover" was his monster hit. Nothing really after that.

Can someone tell me anything about him?

Such as, who wrote the song? Him?

I remember him because he looked kind of nerdy, and not like the typical musician. But what a beautiful voice and talent.

Just want to know his story.

Re: Audy Kimura

I remember he was performing live in Hy's Steakhouse just about every night.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Being a former skeet and trapshooter (in my teens)
      one thing I remember being said about him is he is
      an avid fan of skeet shooting. I always sort of liked
      that song even though it was kind of sappy.

Comment

He still performs at Hy's, and he does a great job.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Big winner at the 1984 Hoku awards, and yes, he did write the song as well. His album's been out of print for a while and, unfortunately, so is the excellent "Island Classics" CD compilation that I have it on.

As scrivener noted he's still at Hy's, and has been for over 20 years now.

Comment

He's also a producer of the Hawaii Goes Fishing show on OC16.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
              One hit wonder. "Friends & Lover" was his monster hit. Nothing really after that.
              Oh, Audy's done quite a bit in the world of music since then, although most of it has been "behind-the-scenes" type of work rather than singing in front of a mike and camera. Below is a link to a bio.

http://www.studioexpresso.com/profiles/AudyKimura.htm
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Here's the info about Hawaii Goes Fishing:

http://hawaiigoesfishing.com/about_hgf.html

Comment

Audy is still around. I hear from him occasionally and catch him often at Hy's Steakhouse in Waikiki.

Yes, Audy is a shooter.

He lives out Kalama Valley way and has a recording studio in his house.

Here's a link to his albums at Mele.com.

He does a lot of film and video, commercial and movie soundtrack work. As mentioned here, he is one of the producers of Hawaii Goes Fishing, along with partner Composite 2992, who posts here quite a bit. (In fact, he's online now!)

Howzit Dean?! Anything else to add?

(Doh! Dean beat me to the post!)
                  Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Audy got introduced into skeet shooting when I asked him to come along to shoot a shotgun I picked up for pig hunting. I figured I may as well learn to shoot a moving target. We both got hooked on the sport after that and I never did go pig hunting with that shotgun!

Turns out that shooting skeet is like playing Nintendo but with recoil.

I think he's a class A or class B shooter, breaking an average of 97 or 98 targets out of 100.

The material he recorded is entirely his own. And he's written other scores for documentaries such as "Family" by Lynne Waters. Also scored "The Land Has Eyes".

In co-producing the fishing show, he is making the transition from music to video, although he's mostly handling the business/marketing and publicity part of it for now.

Comment

Thanks for the info on Audy Kimura. I'm glad he is still around and performing. The next time I'm in Hawaii, I'll stop by the steak house.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                        Here's a link to his albums at Mele.com.

Wow, this I like to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
                          Wow, this I like to hear.
                          It's a great collection, representing that era nicely, but unfortunately, it's out-of-print. It's the first place I ever got to hear any of the material from Charlie Recaido's band, Summer.

The Quiet Storm record label has been strangely "quiet" for a couple of years now...

Comment

Hy's Steakhouse has long been the de facto "special occasion" destination for my family, due largely to the fact that my mom loved his music. So do I. Audy's a class act all the way.
                            Don't be mean,
                            try to help.

Comment

Working...
                            X