Nice area for a newcomer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice area for a newcomer

I have a new job with the DHS. Office located on 400 block of maiakamilo road near dillingham.
    I am told that I will work in the leeward areas as far up as the north shore.
    I am hoping to find a small apartment within a reasonable distance.
    Any suggestions for areas, Mililani, Pearl Ridge and Ewa Beach look like nice places, any others to look at...second city is attractive but maybe too pricey for my starting budget.

Also need to get a car, nothing fancy but reliable, are there any used car dealers people prefer.

I hope to have a week to find a place and get a car before I start on 01/12/09.

I have been looking on craigslist for apartments and autos, seems like a good starting place.

Re: Nice area for a newcomer

Originally posted by pakelika View Post
    I have a new job with the DHS. Office located on 400 block of maiakamilo road near dillingham.
    I am told that I will work in the leeward areas as far up as the north shore.[...]
    Will you need to report to the Waiakamilo office at the beginning and end of each work day?

Just an FYI...the leeward coast (west side of the island) and the north shore are 2 separate areas. I live on the west side (Makaha) and have to drive half way back to town before I can head for the north shore!

Comment

I need to find out more about the actual work areas and office expectations. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Welcome and good luck.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Welcome! Is it Maiakamilo road or Waiakamilo? The second one crosses Dillingham Blvd in the Honolulu area, but it sounds like your coverage may include pretty much the majority of the island of O'ahu. Get on Yahoo or Google maps and check out O`ahu; that's how I figured out where I was and where I was going (still do!)

Keep checking craigslist, and definitely read up on the other newcomer threads for good ideas about the move. Hope it goes smoothly for you!

Comment

Welcome! Good luck!

Just as a tip- DO NOT move to Ewa Beach unless you like sitting in horrific traffic every day. Yes, I know there's horrible traffic all over the island, but there is only one road in and out of Ewa Beach, and I have to give you fair warning. There is always traffic on Ft. Weaver road, even at 2pm on a Wednesday. (And I'm not bashing on it as a bad place to live, just on the traffic going in and out of the city)

Okay, now that I've gotten that crossed off my list- people out here live by Craigslist, so you're headed in the right direction!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Got some more info from the supervisor...this is the central area office - Kalihi.

He suggested Aeia, Pearl City, Miliani, and Salt Lake for housing possiilities.

Also found a shipping company for my auto, that will ship from my door to Honolulu for less than I was fiuring for a used car... Pasha Hawaii. It makes little sense to let a new car sit in PA.

Comment

Awesome! Good deal on the car. I know that several people on here have shipped cars over, so I would ask around. They had some really good advice about taking pictures with the person who came to pick up the car and other things.

Sorry if replies have been slow today. We had a terrible storm here and people are still recovering from it. Hopefully more people will be back on tomorrow.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Working...
                X