Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Closing of Patti's Chinese Kitchen at Ala Moana

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    Does Pearlridge have a Panda Express? I suspect the competition with PE has a lot of influence on the decision to close at AMC.
    They do, but the Pearlridge PE is located in Downtown (the Sears side) next to the movie theatres and Patti's is Uptown (the Macy's side) on the ground floor next to Tilt so at least they're not in close proximity to each other as their AMC counterparts.

I was very saddened to hear about Patti's AMC closing. I still remember the old location fondly. Even though my memories are somewhat cloudy, what sticks out the most are the pillars with the dragons at their old location pre-Makai Market. I was so young then, I could barely see over the counter to pick out my food. My dad had to carry me so I could see.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I'm so old that I remember Shirokiya being located near the present-day Long's on the Ewa half (Sears-Security Diamond) of the mall level. The Diamond Head end (Liberty House/Macy's-Conrad Jewelers) was not yet built.

At Pearl Ridge, it appears the Panda Express has a superior location in the Downtown food court near the theater complex as opposed to Patti's being situated in the back of the Uptown food court. I was there last week and the adjoining Korean operation had a lot more action (at least 2x) than Patti's.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
        I was very saddened to hear about Patti's AMC closing. I still remember the old location fondly.
        I remember it shared its space with her sister restaurant, Lynn's Deli. That was the original Food Court (before anyone ever coined the term "food court." It was always busy, and somewhat dark, but it had a very intimate and friendly atmosphere. There were lots of tables (wooden ones, if I remember correctly). You could even order beer or wine by the glass with your meals (at least on the Lynn's Deli side).

Then they tore it down and built the current Food Court, which I've always detested. It's so large, so noisy, so cold.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
          I'm so old that I remember Shirokiya being located near the present-day Long's on the Ewa half (Sears-Security Diamond) of the mall level. The Diamond Head end (Liberty House/Macy's-Conrad Jewelers) was not yet built.
          When Shirokiya finally moved over to its current location, didn't they have an escalator leading up to the second floor where the eatery is right now?

Comment

When Shirokiya finally moved over to its current location, didn't they have an escalator leading up to the second floor where the eatery is right now?
            The escalator is still there. But in general they lost some floor space both up and downstairs after GG redesigned that section. What I miss was that neat little exclusive dining area they had on the corner, where you could people-watch folks walking on the mall level below.

Really though? Was Shirokiya formerly on the Sears (west) end of the center? If so, that was way before my time.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Don't mean to trample on anyone's nostalgic feelings but all food-court type of Chinese food is either bad or ok. Too many shortcuts and fillers and compromises from the real stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
                Don't mean to trample on anyone's nostalgic feelings but all food-court type of Chinese food is either bad or ok. Too many shortcuts and fillers and compromises from the real stuff.
                Yeah, but 'cheap and cheerful' can be sooo good!
                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                  The escalator is still there. But in general they lost some floor space both up and downstairs after GG redesigned that section. What I miss was that neat little exclusive dining area they had on the corner, where you could people-watch folks walking on the mall level below.

Really though? Was Shirokiya formerly on the Sears (west) end of the center? If so, that was way before my time.
                  I know about the center escalator within the store. It was the exclusive dining area, I faintly recall there used to be an escalator to the outside from there way way back?

Comment

I know about the center escalator within the store. It was the exclusive dining area, I faintly recall there used to be an escalator to the outside from there way way back?
                    Nah, I don't remember that. You sure? From an architectural stand-point, that wouldn't make sense.

Gosh, Ala Moana Center is so rich in history. For just over 48 years since being built, it's been a place of so many memories for us.

AMC was once the largest shopping center in the US, and is still considered as the largest open-air shopping center in the world.

We might also add that it just might be the most EXPENSIVE place in the world to do business. What is the current lease rate there now? Like $1 million/square foot? lol
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I'm not a Chinese food fan
                      Maybe that's why you are so ambivalent about Patty's departure. I could care less. AFAIAC, the quality at Patty's went downhill about 10 years ago. They don't seem to get anything right anymore. The last straw for me was when my then-girlfriend and I both got sick at the same time after eating there for lunch. (I think it was their Choy Sum shrimp that was the culprit.) After that meal, never again.

Oh well. Patti's will soon join the Ala Moana Shopping Center graveyard with Iida's, Carol & Mary, Honolulu Book Store, India Imports, Woolworth, Byron Steakhouse, Liberty House, among others. So which "old school" AMC tenants remain? Sears, check. Who else?
                      If by "old school," you mean pre-1980, there's also Shirokiya, Robins shoe store, the Slipper House, McDonald's, the Post Office, Vim & Vigor, Watumull's, Reyn's, Foodland, Long's, Crack Seed Center. Probably a few others I forgot.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Are Chocolates for Breakfast and the little Japanese store next to the sandbox still there?

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                          Are Chocolates for Breakfast and the little Japanese store next to the sandbox still there?
                          Chocolates closed about 10 years ago. It was owned by the same person who operated Villa Roma, which itself shut down earlier this year.

The sandbox..... now, that's going back-a-ways.
                          The store you are thinking of is probably Iida's. Or maybe Hotei-Ya. Both of them were on the ground level.
                          Last edited by Frankie's Market; December 25, 2007, 08:00 PM.
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                            Chocolates closed about 10 years ago. It was owned by the same person who operated Villa Roma, which itself shut down earlier this year.

The sandbox..... now, that's going back-a-ways.
                            The store you are thinking of is probably Iida's. Or maybe Hotei-Ya. Both of them were on the ground level.
                            No more sandbox?

I think it was called Iida's...had carp kites hanging from the ceiling.

Comment

Nah, I don't remember that. You sure? From an architectural stand-point, that wouldn't make sense.
                              Hmm, in the mall walkway between Liberty House and Shirokiya, I vaguely recall that there was a covered escalator or stairs running up along the side of Shirokiya so that you could enter the top floor without having to enter the bottom floor. Back then the top level parking structure next to Shirokiya didn't exist, so I think it was the only way to enter Shirokiya's top floor without going throught he bottom floor. My recollection of it all is a dreamy kind of small-kid memory so I can't say for sure
                              Last edited by mapen; December 26, 2007, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mapen View Post
                                Hmm, in the mall walkway between Liberty House and Shirokiya, I vaguely recall that there was a covered escalator or stairs running up along the side of Shirokiya so that you could enter the top floor without having to enter the bottom floor. Back then the top level parking structure next to Shirokiya didn't exist, so I think it was the only way to enter Shirokiya's top floor without going throught he bottom floor. My recollection of it all is a dreamy kind of small-kid memory so I can't say for sure
                                Bingo!!! That's what I remembered too though you could recollect far more detail than me.

Comment

Working...
                                X