Closing of Patti's Chinese Kitchen at Ala Moana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Closing of Patti's Chinese Kitchen at Ala Moana

It seems that at the Ala Moana food court, Panda Express seemed to be something that the tourist liked to go to while Patti's was something that the locals go to.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      It seems that at the Ala Moana food court, Panda Express seemed to be something that the tourist liked to go to while Patti's was something that the locals go to.
      Probably because they are familiar with Panda since they dot the landscape on the mainland.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
        Probably because they are familiar with Panda since they dot the landscape on the mainland.
        Then why come ova here in the first place?

Come on, tourists! Try Patti's while you're here! You can always go home to Panda.

P.S. Never did like Panda's food.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          Then why come ova here in the first place?

Come on, tourists! Try Patti's while you're here! You can always go home to Panda.

P.S. Never did like Panda's food.
          You know how that goes, something familiar. But I agree, don't like Panda's either.

Comment

In my younger days, I could easily gobble down a KING plate (rice/noodles with FOUR choices). Now, the PRINCESS plate suffices (starch + TWO choices).

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
              Definitely the sense that I got. Interestingly, I remember times when Patti's was so busy, I'd give up and put up with Panda. I'd regret it, of course. Yet as recently as a couple of weeks ago, Patti's seemed all but deserted, it's enormous corner space certainly looking like a financial money pit to anyone passing by.

Given how busy the food court is overall, I think one can extrapolate some obvious conclusions in the local-to-visitor mix at that shopping center in general.

Comment

Let's face it. Ala Moana belongs to the tourists. Better to confine them there.
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                  Let's face it. Ala Moana belongs to the tourists. Better to confine them there.
                  With their "Rodeo Drive" stores, Ala Moana "sold out" to the tourists a long time ago. No more Lynn's Deli, India Imports, Hopaco, Otaheite, McInerney's, Hotei-ya, Honolulu Book Store, Morrow's Nuts, Bella Italia, etc. Even Liberty House is a Macy's!

Comment

Don't forget Iida's. And my high-school fave, Little Sicily. A slice and a small Coke for just over a buck!

But the Crack Seed store is still there. I think Cathedral Books is still there. Foodland. Wong's Okazuya. Still got some local stuff.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                      Don't forget Iida's. And my high-school fave, Little Sicily. A slice and a small Coke for just over a buck!

But the Crack Seed store is still there. I think Cathedral Books is still there. Foodland. Wong's Okazuya. Still got some local stuff.
                      no more wong's okazuya fo long time already!

i'll wholeheartedly agree that the patti's of my childhood is waaaay better than that of my adulthood. their shoyu chicken is da bomb...or at least, it used to be. like neenz, in my young and poor days, a pint of chow fun and a soda meant a lot to me. used to help me get through a day working at villa roma, another long gone store, and, in fact, one of the first seven original AMC stores.

i still miss lyn's deli's pastrami sandwich and potato mac salad. sigh. little sicily is something i haven't thot about in a long time, but the mere mention of it brings back memories, too.

as for the cold ginger chicken question, good versions in town can be had at:

au's garden (kalihi, houghtailing - king, behind new diner's)

lee & li's or li & lee's or lee & lee's--can never remember how it's spelled... (downtown, queen's corner or something like that--can never remember what the little food court is called, diamond head-mauka corner of queen st & alakea)

duk kee (kaimuki, 12th ave near covenant books/prosperity corner/coffee talk)

scriv, we've never tried golden palace, even if i've passed there a million times since my childhood. but one day, based on your favorable opinion of it (plus its proximity to my work), we'll give it a try.
                      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                        I think Cathedral Books is still there.
                        I thought they were having a clearance sale? Or was that Precious Moments?

Comment

The Advertiser ran a story in the Business section about Patti's closing in today's edition. Go to this link to read the whole story.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Lika, mahalo for linking that story. Interesting.

But I disagree with Patti on "focusing" on the Pearlridge location. Patti's ground its roots at Ala Moana, not Pearlridge. If anything, they should have closed the Pearlridge location and "focused" on Ala Moana Center.

It's like grandma (Tutu) saying, "I'm gonna' go back home to my care home". Know what I mean?

It's also somewhat evident in the article that General Growth was "gracious" and probably made some kind of lease concession to keep one of the center's pioneers on board.

If you ask me, where Patti's dropped the ball is by NOT jumping on the Manapua wagon and focusing on THAT. The manapua business is a cash cow. If we knew Patti's had great Manapua, us locals would be there in DROVES. Look at Libby's and Char Hung Sut. They're makin' a KILLING on the stuff. I forget where I read it, but it mentioned Patti's sells manapua, but it isn't very good. I never go or refer folks there just because they lack a good reputation for Manapua.

Now they're talking about expanding their menu at the Pearlridge menu, which already sounds like a mistake. Less is more. Keep it simple and KNOW how to do each one right.

I'm not a Chinese food fan, but wherever I go, as long as they make a great (ready Leo?) Beef Broccoli ("bee bali"), Sweet 'N Sour Shrimp ("shee sha'ow sheep"), Egg Fu Yong ("Ay fu ya"), Crispy Wonton ("kee' pee wah"), Cake Noodle ("cay noo") and Abalone soup ("a'low'bee soo"), I'm good!

Oh well. Patti's will soon join the Ala Moana Shopping Center graveyard with Iida's, Carol & Mary, Honolulu Book Store, India Imports, Woolworth, Byron Steakhouse, Liberty House, among others. So which "old school" AMC tenants remain? Sears, check. Who else?
                            Last edited by Pomai; December 22, 2007, 07:32 AM.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Patti's was at Pearlridge?
                              I recall working at the Far Eastern Department Store, many, many years ago (decades, actually). They had decided to open a Chinese restaurant in the store and asked Patti's if they would be interested and were turned down. I guess they thought of it afterwards, and finally opened there. Can someone tell me...did they open at the store, or did they not take up the the offer, and do a separate place?
                              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                                Lika, mahalo for linking that story. Interesting.

But I disagree with Patti on "focusing" on the Pearlridge location. Patti's ground its roots at Ala Moana, not Pearlridge. If anything, they should have closed the Pearlridge location and "focused" on Ala Moana Center.

It's like grandma (Tutu) saying, "I'm gonna' go back home to my care home". Know what I mean?

It's also somewhat evident in the article that General Growth was "gracious" and probably made some kind of lease concession to keep one of the center's pioneers on board.

If you ask me, where Patti's dropped the ball is by NOT jumping on the Manapua wagon and focusing on THAT. The manapua business is a cash cow. If we knew Patti's had great Manapua, us locals would be there in DROVES. Look at Libby's and Char Hung Sut. They're makin' a KILLING on the stuff. I forget where I read it, but it mentioned Patti's sells manapua, but it isn't very good. I never go or refer folks there just because they lack a good reputation for Manapua.

Now they're talking about expanding their menu at the Pearlridge menu, which already sounds like a mistake. Less is more. Keep it simple and KNOW how to do each one right.

Oh well. Patti's will soon join the Ala Moana Shopping Center graveyard with Iida's, Carol & Mary, Honolulu Book Store, India Imports, Woolworth, Byron Steakhouse, Liberty House, among others. So which "old school" AMC tenants remain? Sears, check. Who else?
                                Does Pearlridge have a Panda Express? I suspect the competition with PE has a lot of influence on the decision to close at AMC.

Comment

Working...
                                X