Flip Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flip Video

I love the idea of the Flip...for $150 it sure sounds like a good deal. I'm going to go to Best Buy and if I like it, I'm gonna buy one. Being that I'm not much of a video camera guy, the idea of all the tapes and everything is kind of annoying, so this suits me fine....so compact too.

It WOULD be better if it had removeable storage cards in it like a camera does...I wonder why they didn't make it that way.

SO, I guess you have to dump your video into your computer and clear it off the camera after an hour. A little inconvenient, but the price is right...that's for sure.
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
      It WOULD be better if it had removeable storage cards in it like a camera does...I wonder why they didn't make it that way.
      More than likey targetting an segment that (a) doesn't take all that much videos (b) have problems dealing with small parts (like memory cards) or (c) trying to make it as simple as possible.

From my experience cameras usually have some where from 8 to 16Mbytes of internal memory. Great for under 10 still pictures. So having one with 512 Mytes is kind of respectable. If the Flip could do still photos, that is a lot of photos to store.
      Last edited by helen; July 4, 2007, 11:50 AM.

Comment

I love the idea of the Flip...for $150 it sure sounds like a good deal. I'm going to go to Best Buy and if I like it, I'm gonna buy one.
        The Best Buy I went to had them, but not on display where you can play with it. I went to get one, and ended up with the iCam instead. Cheaper and it does have removable media. (SD card).

I would like to meet up with a flip owner sometime and do some side-by-side to compare video quality.

Comment

TutuSue...Thanx for the heads up on the FLIP...I bought one today and LOVE it...so much fun, so easy, so...Cool !

Perfect for a Vidiot like me.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
            [...]I would like to meet up with a flip owner sometime and do some side-by-side to compare video quality.
            The HT Christmas party...possibly?!

Comment

TutuSue...Thanx for the heads up on the FLIP...I bought one today[...]
              Hopefully you were able to get the $120. sale price!

I video'd the fireworks last night and it looks great played back on the camera's screen. I haven't had time to download to the computer so don't know how it really looks!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Hopefully you were able to get the $120. sale price!

I video'd the fireworks last night and it looks great played back on the camera's screen. I haven't had time to download to the computer so don't know how it really looks!
                Yes....$119...a great deal for sure.

Comment

The HT Christmas party...possibly?!
                  Too late to return my purchase for a flip.

Comment

do you know how long that sale will last? and is a coupon required for the sale price?
                    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                      do you know how long that sale will last? and is a coupon required for the sale price?

No coupon. Unless anyone knows otherwise, I wouldn't count on it beyond Saturday.

Comment

I wonder if these new, lower end, aim and shoot cameras are targeted to the YouTube generation!
                        You can be part of the YouTube generation, tutusue! Have you been able to get any of your clips online? The fireworks show, for example? I'm curious to see sample output.

Admittedly, flash-encoding video sites like YouTube really lower video quality, but sometimes it's more than enough to enjoy the audiovisual experience of an event. You could also use Blip.TV if you want to make the original file available for download as well.

The price point is right. This is exactly the kind of video camera you could give to kids and see what they create, without pulling your hair out in anxiety.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                          You can be part of the YouTube generation, tutusue! Have you been able to get any of your clips online? The fireworks show, for example? I'm curious to see sample output.[...]
                          I'm still in remodel and move mode so taking time out to figure out anything new doesn't fit into my schedule just yet. I've only viewed YouTube...never uploaded!

Comment

I picked up the 60 minute version of the Flip this evening at Best Buy for just under $126 (tax included). They had 2 left after I purchased mines.

Kind of simple to operate, as far as taking a video and playing on the unit. I was able to connect it to my home desktop tower which runs Windows XP Home. The Flip shows up as a disk drive. There are 3 folders and 3 files at the top level of this disk drive. One of the folders is for Macintosh users, the second folder contains software that can be installed (which I haven't yet done) and the third folder contains the videos that you take.

There is a one minute sample video that comes with the unit. I transfered that and a couple of videos I took around my building. They look okay considering the amount of light that was available.

Will try to put it thru it's paces over the weekend.

Also the Flip has no tripod mount but it can stand on it's own. And it does fit inside an Estes BT-80 tube (the same type of tube that the Broadsword uses).

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                              [...]And it does fit inside an Estes BT-80 tube (the same type of tube that the Broadsword uses).
                              What goes up must come down, Helen! How soft is the rocket's...and the camera's...landing?

Comment

I think I will wait for the price of the Flip to drop down around $50 (even the 30 minute version will do) before I start lofting it on a model rocket.

Comment

Working...
                                X