This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pet Peeve of the Day

my new pet peeve is people knocking a thread off target by arguing about perceived fictitious racial mindsets.
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
      I don't think the 2 parties are very far apart because they both play the same game. Compromise...corruption. They have a set of rules already written so they have limited moves they can make. The whole system of government and way of life needs to go. Key to any great nation is self sufficiency. Globalization will be the death of humanity. Do you disagree?
      In part. We are in agreement regarding the two-party system's failures, but not regarding globalization. Considering the unequal distribution of the planet's resources, true self-sufficiency is not possible for any nation. Closing the doors leads to a structure of haves & have-nots, of wealth versus poverty, of us against them - the primary motivation for conflict. Imperialism does not need to be the only alternative to isolationism.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
        my new pet peeve is people knocking a thread off target by arguing about perceived fictitious racial mindsets.
        Good one.

Comment

Which target - crowded aisles at Costco, or not having the day off in honor of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.?

I know PoiBoy is bringing up arguments that have been discussed time and time again on HT (he is new here, after all), but I'm interested in hearing his political perspectives; I don't feel qualified to play in the racial sandbox on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            In part. We are in agreement regarding the two-party system's failures, but not regarding globalization. Considering the unequal distribution of the planet's resources, true self-sufficiency is not possible for any nation.
            You don't think people can live off the land and sea like they have been doing for thousands of years? Like all life forms on this planet have been doing for over a billion years?

your said: "Closing the doors leads to a structure of haves & have-nots, of wealth versus poverty, of us against them - the primary motivation for conflict"

sounds like today

Comment

true self-sufficiency is not possible for any nation.
              Poor countries are poor because of government corruption and plain stupidity.

Comment

You don't think people can live off the land like they have been doing for thousands of years? Like all life forms on this planet have been doing for over a billion years?
                Honestly? No, sir. Not any longer. I do not believe the Earth can sustain the present/growing population, and nothing short of a massive die-off of a large chunk of the human population would bring us to a point of said sustainability again - and even that could not be guaranteed with all the toxicity we have brought about in the past hundred years or so.

It's a beautiful dream, in a fashion, but we have long ago passed the point where we could return to it. Too large a percentage of humanity would want to keep much of what we have accomplished in the way of technology, even if it were only for its benefits, such as advances in medical science. We desire the benefits, but they would still be accompanied by the negatives of technology and industry; they can not be separated.

If you somehow could return to the days of "living off the land," prepare for a return to the days of rampant epidemics and a lilfe-span that barely extends to half a century.

Comment

You don't think people can live off the land and sea like they have been doing for thousands of years? Like all life forms on this planet have been doing for over a billion years?

your said: "Closing the doors leads to a structure of haves & have-nots, of wealth versus poverty, of us against them - the primary motivation for conflict"

sounds like today
                  live off the land and sea? isnt the sea overfished now? id like to see us be more self-sustainable, but how does that happen? what happens again if there a huge disaster in hawaii (like new orleans - and if new orleans gets rebuilt, does that make it new new orleans?)
                  how much food do we have to sustain ourselves? how much toilet paper and fresh water? is it possible to sustain 1,000,000+ people off of land and sea?
                  itd be cool if we had more farms, fish farms, and alt power.
                  Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Honestly? No, sir. Not any longer. I do not believe the Earth can sustain the present/growing population, and nothing short of a massive die-off of a large chunk of the human population would bring us to a point of said sustainability again - and even that could not be guaranteed with all the toxicity we have brought about in the past hundred years or so.

It's a beautiful dream, in a fashion, but we have long ago passed the point where we could return to it. Too large a percentage of humanity would want to keep much of what we have accomplished in the way of technology, even if it were only for its benefits, such as advances in medical science. We desire the benefits, but they would still be accompanied by the negatives of technology and industry; they can not be separated.

If you somehow could return to the days of "living off the land," prepare for a return to the days of rampant epidemics and a lilfe-span that barely extends to half a century.
                    If people are willing to make small sacrifices...then it is possible.

You either pay a little now...or pay alot later. Would you agree? One fday it will come down to "the point of no return" but I don't think it has reached that critical of point yet.

You bring up "choice"...and that's where I live in fantasy land.
                    Last edited by PoiBoy; January 15, 2007, 01:14 PM.

Comment

is it possible to sustain 1,000,000+ people off of land and sea?
                      itd be cool if we had more farms, fish farms, and alt power.
                      We do that already.

Consumerism is what drains the earth of natural resources. It also leads to outsourcing.

Most of the U.S beef and dairy is inhouse. There is alot of u.s land for farming. We have the technology to turn crops into ethanol fuel. We can rely on solar,wind,and water power. Whats stopping us from being self-sufficent?
                      Last edited by PoiBoy; January 15, 2007, 01:19 PM.

Comment

If people are willing to make small sacrifices...then it is possible.

You either pay a little now...or pay alot later. Would you agree? One fday it will come down to "the point of no return" but I don't think it has reached that critical of point yet.

You bring up "choice"...and that's where I live in fantasy land.
                        I'm pleased by your optimism. I don't share it, but that doesn't mean I'm right. I think there are plenty of steps you could take, to make positive change and spread that optimism around. It sounds like you want to see some great improvements in the world, in how populations are fed and governed.

Rather than the generalities we've discussed thus far, what specific steps are you presently taking (or will take in the near future) to bring about these changes? Are you working with existing NGOs, or starting your own programs? Are you focusing on just the population of the Hawaiian Islands at present, and if so, do you plan to widen your base? How are you spreading your views, educating others, convincing people of your perspectives? Do you operate websites where we can find suggestions on what we, as individuals, can do to bring about the changes you desire?

Up to now, it's just been talk between us. How are you, personally, turning that into action? In a variation on Gandhi's words, how are you "be(ing) the change you want to see in the world?"
                        My view was from the indigenous peoples and cultures around the world who have been raped and oppressed by colonialism and western thinking.
                        Most of the U.S beef and dairy is inhouse. There is alot of u.s land for farming. We have the technology to turn crops into ethanol fuel. We can rely on solar,wind,and water power.
                        Now, I'm getting a little confused by you here. Are you suggesting self-sufficiency of the entire United States (not just Hawai`i)? Isn't it the government of the United States that is responsible for "raping and oppressing" the "indigenous peoples and cultures around the world," including the kanaka maoli and the Kingdom of Hawai`i? Help me adjust my focus.
                        Last edited by Leo Lakio; January 15, 2007, 01:56 PM.

Comment

"Now, I'm getting a little confused by you here. Are you suggesting self-sufficiency of the entire United States (not just Hawai`i)? Isn't it the government of the United States that is responsible for "raping and oppressing" the "indigenous peoples and cultures around the world," including the kanaka maoli and the Kingdom of Hawai`i? Help me adjust my focus.
                          I said:
                          "My view was from the indigenous peoples and cultures around the world who have been raped and oppressed by colonialism and western thinking. But it can be applied in much broader sense.."

I didn't think you would support Hawaiian nationalism...so I used the u.s as an example.

My goal is not to save the world. But to save my people and preserve our cultural and customs that our ancestors have bestowed upon us. To fight the exploitation and rape of my indigenous culture. I try to do my part..... It's a battle...

People have many of the answers to life's problems...but just as you said it's "choice"

Maybe I can lead by example. And others will follow.
                          Last edited by PoiBoy; January 15, 2007, 02:29 PM.

Comment

My goal is not to save the world. But to save my people and preserve our cultural and customs that our ancestors have bestowed upon us. To fight the exploitation and rape of my indigenous culture. I try to do my part..... It's a battle...
                            You sound young, noble and energized. Not yet slapped down by the world. It's a nice place to be, but you are far from ready to do battle. Hang on to your idealism when you lose your innocence.
                            If people are willing to make small sacrifices...then it is possible...You either pay a little now...or pay alot later...Maybe I can lead by example. And others will follow.
                            Many simple platitudes, yet no solid proposals. I have asked for specific examples of what you, as an individual, plan to do to back up your thoughts, your ideas, your goals and your proposals, yet you have repeatedly failed to do so. Lead by example, by all means - but you need to have some examples to share with us, or no one will follow.
                            You bring up "choice"...but just as you said it's "choice"
                            Actually, I don't know why you've said that twice now, with "choice" in quotes, implying that I said it - but I have not used that word.

Comment

Whats stopping us from being self-sufficent?
                              Well, it depends on what kind of life you'd like to live. Personally, I like books and movies and automobiles, and these are things we just don't have the resources to produce ourselves. The waste by-products created in producing the raw materials used in the products, all by itself, is something I'm not willing to introduce to Hawaii. Let those other places deal with the waste and pollution.

But your conviction is admirable. What do you think can be done about it?
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

We do that already.

Consumerism is what drains the earth of natural resources. It also leads to outsourcing.

Most of the U.S beef and dairy is inhouse. There is alot of u.s land for farming. We have the technology to turn crops into ethanol fuel. We can rely on solar,wind,and water power. Whats stopping us from being self-sufficent?
                                what?
                                you talking about hawaii or what? you dont make any sense. consumerism has to do what with being self sufficient? outsourcing what? jobs? beef? huh?

why go ethanol when we can research hydrogen cars? i read that in 10 years it is possible, if we put the focus and money on research like how the us did during the space race.

do you walk, bike or drive to work?

this thread is about minor pet peeves. go make another thread about how asians are posers or something.
                                Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Working...
                                X