What's that noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireworks Display at Waikīkī

My “inside sources” tell me it’s a wedding at the Hale Koa. Amazing they get away with this stuff, considering all the asthma, air-quality nazis, general fireworks opponents who raise a stink during the holidays.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Re: Whats that noise?

oN DA ODDA thread TuNnL said it was at The Halekoa.

Can't be a Wedding. Wat? Even Generals no can afford Fireworks on their salary!

Is Rumsfield in town for his Retirement Party?

Good night and Sweet Dreams!

Auntie Lynn
      Last edited by 1stwahine; November 14, 2006, 08:20 PM.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Re: Fireworks Display at Ala Moana

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
        My “inside sources” tell me it’s a wedding at the Hale Koa. Amazing they get away with this stuff, considering all the asthma, air-quality nazis, general fireworks opponents who raise a stink during the holidays.
        wtf tuNnL -
        I calling BS on this inside source shat...gut feeling...yeah...but inside sources... you can PM me if you think you got something on me.

Comment

Re: Fireworks Display at Ala Moana

I know the hotels do this all the time. I was out front and I thought I was seeing lightning, so I got up on my wall and watched the display. The reflection on the cloud cover made it that much more spectacular. Who says people don't have so much money they can piss it on a hotel wedding reception complete with fireworks? I know some people do. I wouldn't do it, but it happens. It's also done for conventioneers, too. I watched to see the kona winds blow it all back onto the island. Wouldn't want to be there with my asthma!
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Re: Fireworks Display at Waikīkī

a wedding?!? holy shinto! somebody's got big bucks! it was going off for about 10 minutes! saw it from my balcony and wondered what was going on. thanks for the info.
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Re: What's that noise?

One thread on tonight's unusual fireworks display is fine, folks. The other thread was about the 4th of July display at Ala Moana Center, and this incident seems pretty distinct.

Comment

It looks like tonight’s newlyweds weren’t the only couple to recently bear witness to rumblings at the Hale Koa. (Though for a much different reason.)

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Of course they'd get away with this...our military does what they want, goes where they want
                  Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Well I know for sure the loud booms were a huge fireworks show over magic island. It was spectacular. I had dinner at Longi's tonight and around 9:30 it just went nuts. Probably just as big as the 4th of July fireworks show. The finale was unreal though with all of these low rapid fire shots that looked like antiaircraft tracer rounds.

I was having dinner with a Vietnam vet that told me it reminded him of some bad times. We had an unbelieveable view though.

Comment

Re: Fireworks Display in Waikīkī

Actually, it does seem strange that with all the anti-fireworks crowd that comes out of the woodwork on New Year’s Eve and July 4, there wouldn’t be more complaints against the hotels.

The Waikīkī hospitality community routinely obtains permits (according to HPD) to launch pyrotechnic-style fireworks. I was however, under the impression that this only happened on Fridays.
                      It probably happens anytime someone has enough cash for their event. <shrug> Maybe some convention.

I've never heard about anyone complaining about professional fireworks. Just the amateur stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                        I've never heard about anyone complaining about professional fireworks. Just the amateur stuff.
                        You’re but one pea in the pod, Gecko. I only participated in this thread because numerous people have complained to be about the Waikīkī “professional” fireworks display. Maybe Hale Koa could have put out an informational press release or something (whoah, what a concept)? Then again, like Mike_Lowery points out, they’re the military and do whatever the hell they want.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

You’re but one pea in the pod, Gecko. I only participated in this thread because numerous people have complained to be about the Waikīkī “professional” fireworks display.
                          I imagine Waikiki residents and folks within earshot have probably griped, but as a former Waikiki resident, crowds and noise generally come with the territory.

Meanwhile, as one of "the anti-fireworks crowd that comes out of the woodwork on New Year’s Eve and July 4," as you say, I concur with GeckoGeek that professional displays don't fall into the same category. In fact, whenever I rail against residential neighborhoods lighting up and burning homes down (meawhile causing havoc for people with respiratory issues), I always say that folks should leave it to the pros, get out of their crowded cul-de-sacs and go to Kaneohe Bay or Kailua Beach or Aloha Tower or Ala Moana.
                          Then again, like Mike_Lowery points out, they’re the military and do whatever the hell they want.
                          I think you're onto something here.

Comment

...Then again, like Mike_Lowery points out, they’re the military and do whatever the hell they want.
                            As Lavagal pointed out they(usually the Hilton)do this quite a bit especially for conventioneers and of course for people who can afford it. It's that grassy area between the Hale Koa and the Army Musuem. It's usually "fenced" off and they set up tables, buffets, and sometimes a huge stage with monster speakers on scaffolds. I remember a few years ago when the Oracle group came down, one would have thought a rock concert was happening because the stage was huge. I take walks along that area all the time and I know they have a lot of events there. So I don't think the military had anything to do with this, other than maybe renting out the space.

Comment

to erika engle

any chance that you'll be writing a short piece on last night's event? everyone that i've run into today is talking about it and wondering what it was about...
                              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Why all the fuss? Seems like this happens every few months. Everyone is acting all surprised.

Comment

Working...
                                X