Is drinking old sodas bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is drinking old sodas bad?

I just realized I drank three cans of soda that were a month passed their expiration date (the date that was on the bottom of the can). When I took a closer look, the bottom was corroded for sitting in the cooler. I guess the previous owner didn't clear out the sodas and now the current owner (my boss) thought they were new. There's water bottles in there also, but they don't look old.

Will I be okay after drinking those stuff, or should I go to the doctor?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Is drinking old sodas bad?

Personally, I am much more inclined to adhere to the expiration dates on cans, then plastic or glass bottles. The corrosion or rust that you refer to makes me weak in the stomach. Blecch!!!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

For sure, if it was a "diet" drink with Splenda or aspartame (Equal) in it, stick with the expiration dates on the can. After awhile, the artificial sweeteners disappear from the drink. Cans of diet soda won't corrode, but those with high fructose corn syrup (most of the regular soda) in them---none of the popular sodas use cane sugar anymore (too expensive)--can get corroded with time.

If you're lucky and ever come across a bottle or can of Coke that was manufactured in Mexico (they still use cane sugar there), you will taste a big difference between what we're used to and what the Mexicans get to drink. I doubt you'll get sick from drinking the cans that you did drink, though.

Miulang
      Last edited by Miulang; September 18, 2006, 03:07 PM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Was the rust only on the outside of the can?

I drank a can of Diet Coke that was past it's expiration date by a few months, it didn't have any rust on the outside of the can but the taste of the soda was kind of bad. Didn't get sick through.

Another hint not to drink or eat things from cans is if the outside of the can has been expanded out.

Comment

Confuscius say:
          try to avoid foods in cans as much as possible.
          Eat fresh and whole as much as possible.
          Drink water.
          And black coffee or tea (no sweetening goop).

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
            Confuscius say:
            try to avoid foods in cans as much as possible.
            Eat fresh and whole as much as possible.
            Drink water.
            And black coffee or tea (no sweetening goop).

Confuscius also say:

If drinking old soda is bad...then is drinking new soda good?

So Weedhopper...if drinking new soda is bad...then drinking old soda must be good.

And Confuscius must be Republican because:

If it is good to be right and right is Conservative...then it must be bad to be left and we all know left is to liberalism For is it wrong to be right?

Ah so Master I must drink old soda and become a Republican...I'm so confused! As you should be my student.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
              Was the rust only on the outside of the can?
              From what I could tell, only the bottom had the corrosion. The top had some dust.
              Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
              Drink water.
              After I saw the gunk that came from the tap in the bathroom, I don't think I'll be drinking water for a while.

I know my boss abandoned the store for a few months, but I'm filipino and I can probably get it back into shape.
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

There's water bottles in there also, but they don't look old.

As for "old" water bottles, I would adhere to expiration dates. If the bottle was out-dated and sitting out for a while or in the hot sun, please think about the plastic chemicals that can be transferred into the water content. I'm sure the water would probably taste metallic or with a plastic taste.
                Also, I saw on a news program about not re-using water bottles. I guess the plastic must wear down and effect the water content.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake's Ohana
                  Also, I saw on a news program about not re-using water bottles. I guess the plastic must wear down and effect the water content.
                  Part of the problem comes from "backwash" (don't ask me to explain here...); the bacteria will eventually cause floral growth in the plastic bottle, which can make you ill. Generally, you can reuse them for about a week - then recycle them. Otherwise, the pennies you would save in re-use will be cancelled out by ill health.
                  If you want to reuse a water bottle, get a Nalgene one, as their chemical structure makes them less conducive to the afore-mentioned growth than PET bottles (but you still have to clean them regularly.)

Comment

Leo -

Does this hold true for people who drink out of the same plastic cups each and every day?

Why is it just plastic bottles?

I've used my same beer mug for about 4 years...(at least it's glass)

But, my wife has her favorite cup as well as my baby...and those cups are plastic

(on a funny note... I got an email from someone in a supervisory position passing on a Urban Legend... however, my supervisor was convinced that microwaving plastic items would emit stuff into your food too funny... URBAN LEGEND!)

Comment

The backwash in a cup is not as much as it is in the way we drink from bottles, plus it's easier to thoroughly scrub the entire inside surface of the cup, which you cannot really do with a bottle. Even your favorite cup or mug ought to be washed weekly, unless you're into experimental science.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                        I just realized I drank three cans of soda that were a month passed their expiration date (the date that was on the bottom of the can). When I took a closer look, the bottom was corroded for sitting in the cooler. I guess the previous owner didn't clear out the sodas and now the current owner (my boss) thought they were new. There's water bottles in there also, but they don't look old.

Will I be okay after drinking those stuff, or should I go to the doctor?
                        You're probably going to die.

It's too late for the doctor.

Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                          You're probably going to die.

It's too late for the doctor.

Sorry.
                          Might as well go ahead and eat that spinach you were going to toss into the trash.

Comment

Drinking any kine soda is bad. Old or not.

No forget to brush your teeth.
                            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

serisously doc...if it's only a month... I wouldn't worry about it too much...

the corrosion on the outside of the can could have been from almost anything....

However, if we don't hear from you in the next days...
                              can I have the honor of writing the epitaph...

"Here lies doc.... went out by a can of bad soda....RIP"

J/K hope your ok dude....

but sheesh... I eat eggs past the expiration date!

Comment

Working...
                              X