Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paranormal Activity

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
    eric and i saw this movie today. we had the pleasure of seeing it in an empty theater. both eric and i are blessed with "vision," you might say, plus we are very close friends with people who do psychic readings & site cleansings for a living. therefore, neither one of us found the paranormal aspects of the film any more realistic than we would find supposedly spooky, more sanguinary cinematic fare.

for us, the film's tension is anchored upon the relationship between the boyfriend and girlfriend. the fact that the only setting is the couple's home heightens this tension. certainly, there were scenes where we wanted to throw popcorn at the screen in annoyance because of what happens within the relationship.

everyone should know that horror movies--the good ones, at least--act as cautionary tales. eric and i would say the cautionary tale here centers on what grave consequences may result when you react poorly to your loved one's being deeply troubled by something outside the relationship itself.

that said, most people who are completely unfamiliar with otherworldly experiences in real life will probably find paranormal activity quite heebs-inducing.
    really? so are some people in my family. I was the only person in my family who went to go see this film, because everything was too realistic for the rest of them.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
      really? so are some people in my family. I was the only person in my family who went to go see this film, because everything was too realistic for the rest of them.
      yes, both eric and i have had a number of encounters with otherworldy entities. we never court it; it just happens sometimes.

i'm happy to share w/you how paranormal activity didn't ring true to us in a pm if you'd like, mike. i'd rather not do it here bcs i might spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I would suggest you just post it you want others to discuss your views. This movie has been on for at least 4 weeks now and the reply count is more than 10. If you want to use spoiler tag for it, that's fine but just make sure you are not quoting a post as well.
        Last edited by helen; November 14, 2009, 04:46 PM.

Comment

i'll provide one example that is innocuous in terms of lack of spoiler. in the movie, the initial meeting with the psychic was contrived. someone with real skills wouldn't spend a lot of time asking background questions like "tell me about yourself" and "what do you do for a living."

i've had psychics tell me things they would not have any way of knowing within moments of meeting me and without my giving much in explanation about myself. for example, one asked me out of the blue what the deal was with my mom and property right after i sat down and told her only my first name and gave her a personal belnging of mine to hold. at the time, my mom was househunting in portland, oregon and I was here in honolulu. another psychic announced to me that i have an older half brother on my dad's side. i was sure she was mistaken but found out three weeks later this was true. a third psychic (now my very good friend) was able to describe to me the entity bothering me at the time with no prompting or my providing any clues as to what it looked like. she did this over the phone while she was at her house and i was at mine.
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Have you thought about the possiblity that the psychic guy in this movie could have been a fake psychic guy? I can't remember who initially called him but who's to say that they did do a background check on the psychic guy?

Comment

cynsaligia
              both eric and i are blessed with "vision," you might say, plus we are very close friends with people who do psychic readings & site cleansings for a living.
              Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post

Looks like there's a few of us here.
              Actually, I like movies that are more realistic concerning the "paranormal" (which I consider as normal as anything else - it's just not everyone experiences it.) rather than those which sensationalize and horrify it.
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                Have you thought about the possiblity that the psychic guy in this movie could have been a fake psychic guy? I can't remember who initially called him but who's to say that they did do a background check on the psychic guy?
                no. what would be the point of bothering w/a fake psychic in this film? what would that accomplish?

Comment

I have no background in psychics but I do know that not everyone has the same abilities, skill sets or experiences. I grant you this person didn't live up to your expectation of what a psychic could do. Maybe he was a fake or maybe he was one that didn't have the experinces needed to deal with the problem that Micah and Katie had, in fact he did recommend to them to contact someone else who had the experience.
                  Last edited by helen; November 14, 2009, 07:56 PM.

Comment

maybe so, helen. bottom line for me is that character and that scene was poorly conceived.

Comment

Working...
                    X