X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Longs to become CVS?

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    If I was a Long's stockholder, I would much rather see it sold to Walgreen's than CVS. Of course, I'm not a stockholder so my opinion doesn't really matter that much
    One businessman who is a stockholder and whose opinion probably matters more than others, is Bill Ackman of Pershing Square. Apparently, Ackman recently acquired an 8.8% stake in Longs Drugs, and in an interview on CNBC, gives his perspective on what he describes as an “interesting opportunity.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

It's not always about the money.

If Walgreens opens a location that is convenient for me and Long's gets sold to CVS - I will be more likely to shop at Walgreens. Right now, I work right across the street from Longs so I shop there.

When it comes to corporate responsibility, social responsibility, being a good citizen of their community, and being a "green" company - Walgreens wins, hands down. Thats what I look for when shopping and will always pick that type of store over another that maybe isn't such a good citizen.

For myself - it's not always about the money. I live on a very, very tight budget & could save money if I shopped at certain merchants here in town. But, my conscience will not allow it. This may sound silly to many but I don't really care - I have to feel good about my own choices, not anyone else's.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
        When it comes to corporate responsibility, social responsibility, being a good citizen of their community, and being a "green" company - Walgreens wins, hands down. Thats what I look for when shopping and will always pick that type of store over another that maybe isn't such a good citizen.
        Okay, I must have missed something. What is it that Walgreens does that makes them greener/more responsible than CVS? I’m all for the environment, but higher on my agenda these days is affordability. If CVS buys Longs, there will be more competition in the drug store business in Hawai‘i — which translates to more affordable prices for consumers. Listen to CVS/Caremark CEO Thomas Ryan’s describe his intent to improve Longs’ performance.
        “We don’t do acquisitions for growth, we do acquisitions that we can grow.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

If you put corporate philosophy to the side I think we are all better off if CVS buys Longs. I was looking forward to Walgreens coming here because it would break Longs' drug store monopoly. If Walgreens buys Longs we'll end up with a monopoly again and us customers would again have limited choice. I actually like Walgreens better than CVS but I still want CVS to buy Longs so we have two giants fighting each other than one giant controlling the market here in Hawaii.

Comment

hi this is sansei and i learned that if anyone here may wish to learn how the talk's are going on between walgreen's and long's along with CVS that you'd have to call a long distance number on which i tried and their's only a recording so you'd be able to leave a message for them to return your call so i thought to share this with everyone.

well thank's for your time

Comment

hi this is sansei and i heard on the news update that longs will stick with CVS and they say that walgreen's price is way to much and that CVS when they purchased longs that it was at a good asking price and this make's me smile:O)

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
                i heard on the news update that longs will stick with CVS and they say that walgreen's price is way to much and that CVS when they purchased longs that it was at a good asking price
                Not exactly, sansei. According to the Los Angeles Times, Longs Drugs was concerned about potential anti-trust risks. Their concern is similar to the feelings of amagab and myself. Both of us have said that if Walgreen Co. buys Longs, they will have a monopoly in Hawai‘i, which usually guarantees higher prices and poor service.

That is why generally speaking, it is better for CVS to purchase Longs. It ensures that there will be competition, which has a trickle-down effect across the board. One example is the survival of our local media, which relies on advertising to survive. If we only have Walgreens, they will only buy one ad per media outlet, or maybe none at all. If they go head-to-head with CVS, there should be at least two ads per publication/spot.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

hi this is sansei and today i visited long's drug's in kam center to take my flu shot that Hmsa was sponsoring and i was one of the first's in line and they did the flu shot from the hour of 9:00 Am and i got out in a few minute's and then i went to see starmarket and it has changed a lot and anyone would be surprised of the change's and their's no bank or when you walk in,

to the right,their's no desk where before the customer service agent's would help you on the phone so that's gone as well as where they once selled sushi so i thought to share this true update with everyone.

Comment

This is slightly off the track, but Longs-related....
                    Longs is no longer publishing/distributing ads Sundays and Wednesdays - went to a Sunday-only ad with specials/sales effective Sunday-thru-Saturday. Probably saves them some $$.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                      This is slightly off the track, but Longs-related....
                      Longs is no longer publishing/distributing ads Sundays and Wednesdays - went to a Sunday-only ad with specials/sales effective Sunday-thru-Saturday. Probably saves them some $$.
                      The Wednesdays to Saturdays Longs' sale weren't that good anyway in the past. You didn't have to make a special trip for the Wed. to Sat. sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                        Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                        The Wednesdays to Saturdays Longs' sale weren't that good anyway in the past. You didn't have to make a special trip for the Wed. to Sat. sale.
                        You’re looking at it through a “Sunday paper” subscriber lens. Many people shop on Wednesdays because of the numerous ads (MidWeek) that come out on that day. In fact, if you believe the hype, MidWeek has more readers then any other newspaper in Hawai‘i. I don't know if I agree with Kimo that it saves Longs some bucks. Ads aren’t just about sale prices, they’re about reminded the public to shop at their stores. You can’t ever have enough of those reminders, IMHO. Their savings on ad costs evaporates after considering the lost revenue a second ad produces in customer traffic.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

hi this is sansei and today i visited long's drug's in kam center and it's sure huge with change's like the pet stuff are one place and the pen's and school thing's are one place and the long's photo processing lab is when you enter to your left and it's huge and i also went to star market and it's also pretty huge.

i also visited beretania safeway and thing's their hasnt changed only if you wished to purchase say like peache's,they say that it's out of season and apple season is in so that's only one place that doesnt have any peache's and only apple's only star market and don Quiojte has peache's for baking so i thought to share this with everyone.

Comment

hi this is sansei and i just heard that the Deal with cvs with Long's went through and this make's me :O) i recently went to Kam Long's and it's much bigger and thing's like pet food and other's are in one place and the potato Chip's and other's such as these are in one place and they kept the long's photo processing lab and im happy:O) so i can have my film printed.

Comment

They have fresh produce at the Kam Longs now too.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                                Not exactly, sansei. According to the Los Angeles Times, Longs Drugs was concerned about potential anti-trust risks. Their concern is similar to the feelings of amagab and myself. Both of us have said that if Walgreen Co. buys Longs, they will have a monopoly in Hawai‘i, which usually guarantees higher prices and poor service.
                                Uhhhh, correct me if I am wrong. But we've had a monopoly situation for over a decade now since Payless has left the scene, riiiight???

Moreover, past history has shown that the Hawaii market has only been able to support one chain drug store. In the last 30 years, there have been two seperate attempts by Payless, as well as one by Pay-N-Save. All of them challenged Longs. All of them ended up failing after a few years. It wouldn't be too hard for Walgreen's lawyers to shred up an antitrust suit filed against them.
                                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X