X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is HawaiiThreads.com too mean?

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    So let them stand up for themselves. Don't go all mother-hen and "protect" people who haven't asked for protection -- and that includes us kama‘āina who still live here. I don't know if you realize how patronizing and condescending you can sound at times. You do.
    See? Now THAT'S the kind of comment that makes sense! Thanks Glen. That's a whole lot more informational than some of the crap that gets slung around here sometimes.

Now, on with the regular programming...

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Miulang, I can't speak for Palolo Joe, but personally, I can see how someone might get the (erroneous) idea that you're hoping to change Hawaii towards, rather than against, the "Mainland way." It's the general impression I get when a number of your posts begin with, "You folks in Hawaii better..." Or, "Well, up here, we..." You might very well be raising important, broad issues for discussion, but over time, it can feel like preaching.

And another point that bears repeating is that if you purposely focus on hot-button issues, from Hawaiian independence and the Akaka Bill to Wal-Mart, the environment, and George Bush, you've got to know the waters are deeper and that you might ruffle more feathers than someone who only posts about food. Then again, while there are certainly going to be crossed wires and unfair reputation points in those "serious" neighborhoods, I also find those discussions to be among the more rewarding.

Originally posted by Miulang
      What I hope I can do is get people to start thinking about stuff besides what I had for lunch yesterday.
      Wait a minute. Are we too playful, or not playful enough?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        Ah, yes, I'd almost forgotten that Hawaii.com's forums were specifically discussed earlier. A lot of that thread sounds like this one! I guess I should amend my example HawaiiThreads.com entry above to include "scary." Heh.
        Some of the forums on Hawaii.com have grown a little meaner and less saccharine lately, compared to HawaiiTreads.com.

Compare this thread on Hawaii.com...
        http://www.hawaii.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2321
        to this thread on HawaiiThreads.com
        http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=6333

Cheers,

Jonah K
        Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          Miulang, I can't speak for Palolo Joe, but personally, I can see how someone might get the (erroneous) idea that you're hoping to change Hawaii towards, rather than against, the "Mainland way." It's the general impression I get when a number of your posts begin with, "You folks in Hawaii better..." Or, "Well, up here, we..." You might very well be raising important, broad issues for discussion, but over time, it can feel like preaching.

And another point that bears repeating is that if you make it a point to focus on hot-button issues, from Hawaiian independence and the Akaka Bill to Wal-Mart, the environment, and George Bush, you've got to expect you're going to ruffle feathers. There are certainly going to be crossed wires and unfair reputation points in those neighborhoods, but I also find those discussions to be among the more rewarding.

Wait a minute. Are we too playful, or not playful enough?
          Balance man, be in harmony with the world...OMMMMMM The reason I bring the topics up is in the spirit of intellectual curiosity and scientific research, not to ruffle feathers, although sometimes I wonder if anyone over there really cares about some of the stuff that's going on in your own back yard...

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
            Compare this thread on Hawaii.com
            Wow. Talk about a wild ride.

The "don't impose you model of law on ours" sounded familiar. But the call outs for a beat down were a bit much.
            sometimes I wonder if anyone over there really cares about some of the stuff that's going on in your own back yard...
            Here we go again...

Comment

Some of the forums on Hawaii.com have grown a little meaner and less saccharine lately, compared to HawaiiTreads.com.

Compare this thread on Hawaii.com...
              http://www.hawaii.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2321
              to this thread on HawaiiThreads.com
              http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=6333
              Ho boy. "Who you callling a haole? Just cuz I'm from Texas doesn't make me a haole!"

(paraphrased)

Comment

The reason I bring the topics up is in the spirit of intellectual curiosity and scientific research, not to ruffle feathers, although sometimes I wonder if anyone over there really cares about some of the stuff that's going on in your own back yard...
                You just... don't... get it.

Comment

wow. freaky. same two guys tawkin bout da same ting on two different boards...

and... I always luuuv this perspective:

"You people who talk like Hawaii is a different country, are the ones who should wise up.
                  Either secede, or get used to people expecting Hawaii to be like just another state, cause guess what, it is... "

whuwhuwhuuu.

Comment

...And that's how wars get started too. It's hard to gauge the intent of a written note because there's no real way to know what the writer means (except for those g-dm emoticons). I won't post so many "controversial" things then; will that make the majority of you happier? I'm looking for feedback here...ya know, you could also stop reading my posts...put me on ignore...

Miulang

Comment

Balance man, be in harmony with the world...OMMMMMM The reason I bring the topics up is in the spirit of intellectual curiosity and scientific research, not to ruffle feathers, although sometimes I wonder if anyone over there really cares about some of the stuff that's going on in your own back yard...

Miulang
                      Aloha Miulang,

I want to take this opportunity to express my heartfelt mahalo for the topics and newsbits that you do post here. I log on daily, but my schedule doesn't permit me enough time to respond as much as I would like. There are things I wish to discuss about Y2K kanaka culture, progressive living between our different lahui here in Hawai'i, how we can further our respect between our host cultures and responsibilities towards our malihini, how progressive our ancestors actually were (and, if time permitted, the whole 19th century in review), as well as Hawai'i's unique place in this global hegemony--where the trends are heading, and where our heads need to be at.

And, if I had additional time, I wanna join in and shit-talk some books, movies and other elements of pop culture
                      but ahhhh....so little time.

eia ku'u leo mahalo ia 'oe.

Pua'i

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                        And, if I had additional time, I wanna join in and shit-talk some books, movies and other elements of pop culture

whaaaat!?
                        You... wanna do THAT?

hey. yer very welcome here, now!
                        jump in.

Comment

OF COURSE I DO!!!

I am Wahine™. Hear me roar!

Every time I log on, that Library Folder says "here Kittykittykittykittykitty..."

pax

Comment

whaaahou...

"wahine"... is yer trademark?!

Comment

I'm 1stwahine! take that to the bank honey!

Auntie Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

and exactly where da hell's this mythical "bank honey"?
                                one tita or mahu holoholo round chinatown wit da beeg kine purse o wot?

Comment

Working...
                                X