Hawaii Top 40 radio: 1950s to early 1980s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Top 40 radio: 1950s to early 1980s

What a tremendous list of "Hawaii-only hits." I'm happy to learn that I'm NOT the only "nut-case" out there who remembers PAMELA (Train), PUSHBIKE SONG (Mixtures), ONE DAY OF YOUR LIFE (Alex Keenan), or PRETTY LADY (Lighthouse). I happen to have all four of these on 45s or LPs. I have ONE DAY OF YOUR LIFE on a Trim Records (local label) LP. That song was the opening number for the Dimensions, the house band at the Tiki in the International Marketplace during the 1970s.

My additions to this hallowed list, all of which I have in at least one format:

I MUST BE DREAMING (B-side of LITTLE DEVIL) - Neil Sedaka
    ONE BOY; BOBBY'S HOBBIES - Joanie Sommers
    NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS - Linda Scott
    MR. SONGWRITER - Connie Stevens
    WE HAVE SOMETHING MORE - Connie Francis
    WHERE IS SHE - Bobby Vee
    CAN'T HE TAKE A HINT - Kenni Woods (nee Kendra Spottswood)
    HOME OF THE BOY I LOVE - Lori Martin (star of TV's "National Velvet")
    BIG STAR b/w TELEPHONE - Shelley Fabares
    AMY - Paul Petersen
    SHIRLEY - Tony Orlando (pre-Dawn)
    LAST LEAF b/w SHY GIRL; TRULY JULIE'S BLUES - Cascades
    BIG WIDE WORLD - Teddy Randazzo
    DON'T CHA CRY - Jerry Mathers (yes, it's the "Beaver")
    JERRY (I'm Your Sherry) - Tracey Dey ("answer-back" song to SHERRY)
    OH HONEY - Delegation
    RAINY JANE - both Davy Jones (ex-Monkee) and Neil Sedaka releases
    HEY LITTLE STAR - Ann Margret
    IS IT LOVE - Cilla Black
    KARATE (predecessor to KUNG FU FIGHTING[?]) - Bedwells
    HE'S A BAD BOY - Carole King (pre-Tapestry days)
    ENAMORADO - Keith Colley
    WHAT DO LITTLE GIRLS DREAM OF - Tim Considine ("My Three Sons")
    MY DREAM; SHOULD I TAKE YOU HOME - Sunny and the Sunliners
    GIVE ME A REASON TO BE GONE - Maureen McGovern
    NEVER LET HIM GO - Susan Jacks (ex-Poppy Family)
    HEAVENLY FATHER - Sandy Stewart
    CHA CHA CHA FOR JUDY - Newport Youth Band
    ME JAPANESE BOY - Bobby Goldsboro
    YOSHIKO - Al Alberts (one-time lead singer of the Four Aces)
    PAMELA, PAMELA - Wayne Fontana
    BANZAI WASHOUT - Catalinas
    PRESSURE - Pyramids
    BEYOND - Chantays
    THREE ROWS OVER - Bobby Curtola
    THIS GIRL - Dean Randolph
    ALL THE COLORS OF THE RAIBOW - Mike Clifford
    MORE; A LITTLE TOY BALLOON - Danny Williams
    YOU CAN'T KEEP A GOOD MAN DOWN - James and Bobby Purify
    GOODIE TWO SHOES - Sky
    DON'T GIVE UP - Petula Clark

These would make several good CD compilations of Hawaii-only hits. Some are already on the LONG LOST OLDIES series at Jelly's.

I'm still looking for the following:

TONIGHT YOU BELONG TO ME - Nancy Sinatra
    SURE GONNA MISS HER ("live" version) - Gary Lewis and the Playboys

I will peruse my copies of the weekly K-POI Top Ten and Top Twenty lists, plus the K-POI Top 300, which I have from 1960-72, for other songs.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific
      RAINY JANE - Davy Jones (ex-Monkee)
      ...compilations of Hawaii-only hits.
      Have to take this one off the list; it was a hit in the Midwest, too (I still have the 45; what is WRONG with me?!?)

Comment

Originally posted by mel
        a lot of other pop and rock records became hits in Hawaii but nowhere else.
        - "Precious & Few" - Climax (1971)
        Flashing back up the thread a bit...this was a pretty big hit all across the CONUS, but not the other Climax songs you noted, Mel (which earned them the title of being 'one-hit wonders.')

Comment

I believe Mel listed PRECIOUS AND FEW because it was big in Hawaii SIX months before catching on in the mainland USA.

I've listed RAINY JANE because neither version made the Billboard Top 40 list. Many other listed songs were probably regional hits throughout the country.

There's nothing wrong with having the Davy Jones 45 of RAINY JANE. To the contrary, it indicates you have exquisite taste. I have both the 45 and LP (the LP's title is also RAINY JANE). I have two DJ copies of Sedaka's version (he's the songwriter) with slightly different labels (SGC), which Neil graciously signed for me at the Bose Entertainment Center prior to his Hawaii Theater concert last December. He was genuinely amazed that there are people who not only remember the song, but actually have the disc. These 45s, along with photos taken of me with Neil, will be framed and hung on my wall, along with signed records and photos I took with Teddy Randazzo in 1998.

I recently signed an on-line petition to induct Sedaka in the Rock-and-Roll Hall of Fame. I'm shocked that he has not yet been elected. Not only has he been a hit artist throughout his career, but a concert performer, and a songwriter who has penned many hits for other artists.

The same goes for the late Teddy Randazzo, whom I was fortunate to meet and chat with several times prior to his passing. BTW, Teddy was the arranger for the Beamer Brothers HONOLULU CITY LIGHTS award-winning album.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with having the Davy Jones 45 of RAINY JANE. To the contrary, it indicates you have exquisite taste.
            Or just severe collection-itis.

My ex-wife would disagree with us both, and would have choice words to describe my "condition." A prime reason for the prefix.

Comment

It could be worse, a LOT WORSE, if we were addicted to sports betting (6-5, P-sheets). The trick is to avoid "neat-freaks" and find another "pack-rat." It may be trying at times to live among squalor, clutter, and disorganization, but it's do-able. I was accused of re-modeling my house and adding 1800+ sq. ft. of living area to accomodate my "collections." That may well be TRUE! After all, those 45s, LPs, CDs, DVDs, video tapes, guitars, amps, and other electronic equipment have to go SOMEWHERE ......... other than the dump! For example, after I transferred a number of VHS tapes to DVD, I was asked if I was going to throw away the tapes. OF COURSE NOT! They'll be archived until they become unplayble. I still have several working turntables for my vinyl and even a SONY 8-track recorder!

I am in the process of reducing the chaos by installing cabinetry in my study to accomodate my "junque." When I'm done, you ought to come over to hoist a few cold, tall ones with me and survey my "wall of fame."

My primary excuse is that I majored in history.

Comment

I wish I had a larger home. Living in a condo rather limits what I can collect. A few years ago I sold a few boxes of old 45s just to make room. Most were from the 1980s... kept most of the 60s and 70s ones. Occasionally I have to also get rid of LPs that I either don't play anymore or have upgraded to CD.

Oceanpacific, I really like your list of Hawaii only hits. The ones from the early 60s I am probably not entirely familiar with... but the later ones, yes.

One song from Susan Jacks that I like and was hit only in Canada is "All the Tea in China." Someone gave me a tape of that years ago, but I wish I had it on CD.

Yes, "Precious & Few" was a hit in the islands 6 months before it became a national hit. I'll look for the chart where it was listed as #1 on KKUA radio in 1971. It peaked at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 in early 1972. Climax was truly a favorite in the islands for a few years. In 1972 they were at #1 again on KKUA radio with "Life & Breath." Other hit tracks from Climax included "Walking in the Georgia Rain," "Child of December," and "Rock n Roll Heaven" which came out a year before the one by The Righteous Brothers.

Adding a few more songs to my list:

Here is Happiness - Tokyo Happy Coats (the next single after "Forevermore")

Goodbye Mr. Tears - Jimmy Osmond (1972)
                My Little Darling - Jimmy Osmond (1971)
                These 2 records were recorded in Japanese when this guy was a little kid and became hits in Hilo as they were played on KPUA radio's Top 21.

Soley Soley - Middle of the Road (1972) was hit on Maui's KMVI radio.

I Think We're Alone Now - Shnazz (1980) remake of the Tommy James hit.

Palolo Valley Girls - Willie Moku (1982) localized version of Frank & Moon Zappa's "Valley Girls".

Anyone remember "Beach Rock" by Blue Finn? Came out in 1982 on the SeaWest label.

"Smoke Two Joints" by The Toys (1983?)

"The Seed" & "Craziest Dream" by Waimanu (1974) 45 rpm.

All these got airplay on local radio and were probably not hits anywhere else.

One of the best places to hear some of the "long lost oldies" is on Tom Moffat's Saturday morning drive-in show on KGMZ 107.9 FM oldies radio.
                Norm Winter used to have a show called "Long Lost Oldies" on KUMU 1500 AM before the station switched to talk.
                Last edited by mel; July 28, 2006, 07:26 AM. Reason: added more stuff
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                  Yes, "Precious & Few" was a hit in the islands 6 months before it became a national hit. I'll look for the chart where it was listed as #1 on KKUA radio in 1971. It peaked at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 in early 1972. Climax was truly a favorite in the islands for a few years. In 1972 they were at #1 again on KKUA radio with "Life & Breath." Other hit tracks from Climax included "Walking in the Georgia Rain," "Child of December," and "Rock n Roll Heaven" which came out a year before the one by The Righteous Brothers.
                  When the AF & I first got together (over eleven years ago), music was one of the big things that drew us to each other. I remember her talking about looking for CDs by Climax, and I wondered if she had ever heard anything else besides "Precious & Few." That was when I learned how HUGE they had been in Hawai`i - and that "one-hit wonder" didn't really apply.

Comment

Mel, I'm a few years older than you as my teen years in Hilo were during the '60s. That's when "Mynah Bird" first got on the air-waves. Some friends of mine were weekend DJs: one I remember was Wendell Cabanas, with whom I played tennis at the UH-Hilo courts.

Went to rock concerts at the Civic Auditorium, including "Uncle Tom" Moffat's April 1963 "Show of Stars" featuring the Cascades, Dick and DeeDee, Gene Pitney, and the Shirelles. Opening the show were the Royal Tones, a local band, and limbo king Michael DelMar (Hilo High '64). I even participated in a 1966 "Battle of the Bands."

I saw the Climax CD at Jelly's awhile back. The artwork was that of their PRECIOUS AND FEW record album, but the CD contained additional tracks, including WALKING IN THE GEORGIA RAIN. LIFE AND BREATH was also a national hit for them. Earlier, Sonny Geraci was lead singer for the Outsiders, who hit with TIME WON'T LET ME.

Susan Jacks' ex-husband, Terry Jacks, hit with SEASONS IN THE SUN. I have the earlier version by Tommy Sands, who signed it for me at the Feb. 1998 "Valentine Hop," a show promoted by Tom Moffat. Teddy Randazzo headlined it and Bobby Rydell was also on.

Compilation CDs I have "burned" or plan to include the following genre:

1) re-makes;
                    2) heartbreak & heartache;
                    3) Hawaii-only Hits;
                    4) follow-up songs;
                    5) story songs;
                    6) dances;
                    7) rain songs, for distribution at my high school reunion in September;
                    8) song titles not contained in lyrics;
                    9) car-tunes;
                    10) girl names;
                    11) geography;
                    12) songs used in commercials;
                    13) animal planet - inspired by the other threads on this site;
                    14) chug-a-lug songs;
                    15) "dream" songs.

There are many other possibilities, I'm sure.
                    Last edited by oceanpacific; July 28, 2006, 10:04 AM.

Comment

You guys may really like my Sunday column -- but more importantly, if you've not gone to the site selling off some of Uncle Tom's old "stuff" yet, the column may send you there.

I moved to Pahoa in 1973 (from New Jersey ) ... Waltah Pacheco was already battling Mynah Bird for audience share ... Russ Roberts was a news guy there -- and he's STILL there ... the late KHLO GM Rex Wills did a KILLER jazz show, Sunday mornings, I think -- at least he did in the later 70s.

The late KPUA GM Hal Boudreau, whose sons were also jox at the station at one time or another, would fill in for Mynah Bird when he was out sick (rarely) or on vacation.

He would always pipe into Aku's news via the "Coconut Wireless," because, as Boud would explain in his basso-profundo voice, "we are inherently lazy." He could drink coffee, answer phones, or leave the Piihonua bomb-shelter studio to go next door to the quonset-hut office building to use the lua, etc. because he knew Aku'd go on for several minutes. (sigh) I had NO rent to pay and no bills, back then. All I had to do was get the best grades I could at Pahoa High School. What a life!
                      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Aloha, Erika. So, you're a "Dagger." Were you there when Pahoa became a basketball power in the BIIF? Back in my days, their basketball teams were handicapped by a decided lack of height as their centers were almost always under 6'0". Things changed with an in-migration of people. I remember their center for four years being a 6'3" "giant" named Mike Vaughn. Such height was unheard of there.

Another friend of mine also played for Pahoa sometime during the '70s. A jet-quick guard named Craig Tsutsui. I played basketball with him for years in park leagues here in Honolulu throughout the '80s.

"Uncle Waltah" Pacheco ...... what can I say? I remember him calling a state boys' basketball tournament game in 1975 (Leilehua vs. Hilo) in pidgin English! Hilarious and outrageous! I actually taped it off the radio, but I made the fatal mistake of lending it out - my friend then lost it. I learned a valuable lesson: NEVER lend out stuff like that, not even to good friends! I make copies and give it to them.

I had a riot hearing him call play-by-play in Hilo on summer league basketball and baseball games. Examples of his "Walterisms" included: "he makes a lippin' (leaping) rebound" and "there's a ground ball up the middle and the centerfielder makes a diving catch for the out." HUH? "Waltah" is definitely "one-of-a-kind."

Comment

So oceanpacific, you grew up in Hilo? Me I was in Honokaa. You know how hard it was to listen to AM radio from Hilo 40 miles away from up the Hamakua Coast? I had to put my little radio next to a pipe which somehow boosted reception. KPUA came in good, KHLO was not very good, KIPA while they were at 1110 AM was lousy. They improved after moving to 620.

From 1971 to 73, I listened to KPUA mostly in the night, J.K. who after doing KPUA moved to Kauai. Reggie followed him on KPUA and he also moved to Kauai I believe. I think he emailed me last year for something, can't remember now. Anyway, J.K. did the Woolworth's Weekly Top 21 countdown show on KPUA Monday nights. Rest of the week was listener requests.

OF course when we drove into Hilo those 3 radio stations was all we got. In the day, it was Mynah Bird and also Hal Boudreau with the Hawaiian music show at mid-days. Steve A. Reno from KGMB radio moved to Hilo and did a stint at KPUA for a while. I used to win a lot of stuff from KPUA and always had to either go to Woolworth's or up to quonset hut in Pi'ihonua to get the prizes.

I remember Waltah Pacheco was also doing BIIF football games on KHLO... it was quite exciting when he came to Honokaa and broadcast out of the van parked at the top of the field next to the stone wall at Honokaa School. I used to brin g my radio to games and tried to listen to the broadcast coming in and out in the night. The broadcast was connected to the station by a wired telephone.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I'd drive over from Hilo to Kona for business and I made sure the car had at least a cassette player. The AM signals from Hilo would start fading in and out after the Hakalau bend and would be all but gone between O'okala and Pa'auilo. I'd keep to the beat of my "oldies" cassette tapes to stay entertained and alert.

In the other direction, the AM signals faded away by the Volcano area. Thank goodness for the advent of FM.

In Hilo, I'd pull off a similar trick to your using a pipe to improve the radio signal during the day hours. In my case, I'd place the radio on top of the refrigerator or freezer. I was then able to listen to K-POI, KORL, KKUA, and KGU (Hawaii Islanders PCL games).

In my time, the AM stations were KIPA, KILA, and KHBC. The frequencies, in ascending order, were 670, 850, and 1110 ...... I think. I went to two of the studios as a child, both for Japanese programming. The one in Pi'ihonua next to the upper part of the Wailuku River, and the one upstairs near the corner of Mamo and Keawe Streets, next to the KTA parking lot. In 1968, I played for a Hawaiian music group at UH-Hilo and we cut some jingles for the station housed in a Banyan Drive hotel.

Comment

I'd drive over from Hilo to Kona for business and I made sure the car had at least a cassette player. The AM signals from Hilo would start fading in and out after the Hakalau bend and would be all but gone between O'okala and Pa'auilo.
                              It's still the same today. I visit my parents in Honokaa at least twice a year and I always travel between Honokaa and Hilo. The Hilo stations fade starting around Hakalau and Ninoole. Some of the FM stations fizz out by Papaikou.

In the other direction, the AM signals faded away by the Volcano area. Thank goodness for the advent of FM.
                              Thankfully there are now FM transmitter sites set up in most of the Big Island communities. I don't know about the Volcano area since I rarely travel that way, but I do know you folks have one or two FMs in the area... so like coverage is better now than in the olden days when we only had AMs... the 3 stations. KIPA, KHLO, KPUA.

In Hilo, I'd pull off a similar trick to your using a pipe to improve the radio signal during the day hours. In my case, I'd place the radio on top of the refrigerator or freezer. I was then able to listen to K-POI, KORL, KKUA, and KGU (Hawaii Islanders PCL games).
                              One of the nice things about living in Honokaa that for AM reception at least, we got most of the major stations from Honolulu and Maui without too many reception problems. The one thing I noticed was that stations on frequencies from 550 AM to about 970 AM came in fairly strong, but those above that were weaker..... which was a problem when I wanted to listen to KPOI, since they were at 1380 AM for all of the time that they were "The Rock of Honolulu."

In my time, the AM stations were KIPA, KILA, and KHBC. The frequencies, in ascending order, were 670, 850, and 1110 ...... I think. I went to two of the studios as a child, both for Japanese programming. The one in Pi'ihonua next to the upper part of the Wailuku River, and the one upstairs near the corner of Mamo and Keawe Streets, next to the KTA parking lot. In 1968, I played for a Hawaiian music group at UH-Hilo and we cut some jingles for the station housed in a Banyan Drive hotel.
                              By the time I was aware of Hilo stations they were KHLO, KPUA and KIPA... 850, 970 and 1110. KIPA moved to 620 about 1973. Also I remember when KHLO was also KIMO. KILA and KHBC I don't remember from kid time, though now KHBC is the calls for Channel 2 in Hilo (KHNL) and 1060 AM where Mynah Bird now lives.

Remember when KPUA was also the KGMB TV affiliate? They occasionally would air something in Hilo on TV from their studio or someplace up in Pi'ihonua. Seen that at my grandma's house.

I won a couple of items from KHLO radio and had to pick up the prizes at the Banyan street hotel location.

The people in Kohala, parts of Waimea and on the Kona side of the island get good reception from most of the Honolulu and Maui radio stations, both FM and AM. Plus now some of the Hilo FM's simulcast out of Kona too.... in Honokaa KKBG has a facility that broadcasts 97.5 FM's signal in the area. Plus they have a low powered FM playing Christian music.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

The KIPA, KILA, and KHBC call letters were from the '50s. KPUA and KHLO came about by the time I was in high school.

My classmate, Kathy Webster (nee Kodani) began her teaching career at Honokaa in the 1971-72 school year. She retired last year as principal of Hilo High. I saw her four weeks ago at the first Waiakeawaena School ukulele band reunion. We have our 40th year class reunion at the end of September.

My bachan used to win prizes from the Japanese programs. Usually, a bag of rice or sugar. Stuff like that. I won a few times. Once, for identifying some things about the eagle on the back of the dollar bill (Great Seal of the USA). For that, I got to pick out records from the studio in Pi'ihonua. Not mint, as they were played, but I got some interesting stuff, which I still have to this day. BIG STAR b/w TELEPHONE (Shelley Fabares), A WONDERFUL DREAM; SHE'S A TROUBLEMAKER (Majors); INDIAN GIVER (Annette). About twenty 45s in all.

Another time for identifying HE'S A BAD BOY (Carole King) as the No. 1 hit song in Hilo on a certain date in 1963. The reason I knew is that I used to write down the weekly top ten in a black composition book between 1962-66. So, I just looked it up. What I'd give to still have that book, which was undoubtedly thrown out in the trash when I was at UH-Manoa. The prize I won? Don't know for sure, but I believe it was a pass for a rock concert.

Comment

Working...
                                X