Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Top 40 radio: 1950s to early 1980s

Originally posted by MannyH
    Bought a copy of Island Summer Hits 60s & 70s just for the cd version of "Forevermore" (I have the original album by the Tokyo Happy Coats), wrote Pati to say what a wonderful compilation this was and received a complimentary cd in the mail to share with a friend! Am looking forward to any future issues! The collection of music is simply from a bygone time and a sound that will never be replaced on radio.
    Yes, isn't "Forevermore" such a wonderful, nearly forgotten gem?

Pati told me this week that Oldies 107.9 will be giving away copies of "Island Summer 60s & 70s" on Bart DeSilva afternoon show.

Hopefully sales for this CD are good enough to warrant a follow-up.

The Bells cd is from Canada and the Climax and Rick Ely cds appear to be bootlegs but I was pleased with the quality of the music. I agree that the John Rowles issues seem to be of poor quality.
    Do you have the label and catalog number for The Bells CD? From Canada I am also looking to see if any of Susan Jacks' solo music has been released to CD. She was part of the duo, Poppy Family with ex-husband Terry Jacks.

I am searching earnestly for a copy of "Pamela" but so far, unsuccessfully. The hunt continues...
    I'll let you know if I stumble across a copy of this song.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by MannyH
      I have "We're Free" on a Collectables Beverly Bremers CD and have also found "Caroline This Time", "Walking In The Georgia Rain", and "Picnic In The Rain" on a Climax CD from Jelly's in Pearl City (as well as "Fly Little White Dove Fly" from the Bells, and "Since I Fell For You" by John Rowles and "Circle Game" and "Morning Girl" by Rick Ely on CD's also found in Canada and at Jelly's again respectively).

I'm currently on the hunt for a 1969 hard-to-find tune named "Pamela" from 1969 by a group called Train that got some airplay here in the islands. I can't find the record label and no one seems to remember it.

Another one to add to your list would by "One Day Of Your Life" by Alex Keenan. His version got considerably more airplay than the national charted release by Andy Williams in 1970.
      I actually have the Record "Pamela" by the Train and have digitized it and have it on MP3. I agree, it's a great song.
      Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

For those of you who love to hear some of the long forgotten oldies of years gone by, I can recommend two radio shows that showcase this music.

Uncle Tom's "Rock n Roll Drive-in" featuring the Vinyl Vault oldies countdown. Saturdays on KGMZ 107.9 FM from 8 a.m. to 12 noon. Host Tom Moffatt of the legendary KPOI 1380 radio.

"Long Lost Oldies" with Norm Winter broadcast live from Jelly's Sunday afternoon from 3 to 6 pm. KUMU 1500 AM.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Moto
          I actually have the Record "Pamela" by the Train and have digitized it and have it on MP3. I agree, it's a great song.
          If you would care to email me a copy of the mp3 file of Pamela, I would gladly reciprocate the swap with a song or two that you may like to add to your collection. Let me know if I may have something that interests you. My email address is: msh808@aloha.net

Thanks for your time and assistance! I've been looking for this song for quite awhile..

Aloha!

Manny

Comment

Found the following interesting notes about the group "Train"...

Subject: The Sundae Train / "Night Time Music: The BT Puppy Story" CD

Albin Lindström wrote:
            > I recently discovered two fantastic singles by the Sundae Train. I
            > have been searching the net for more info but I haven't come up with
            > much. All I know is that the band were from the New York area and
            > released their records on The Tokens BT Puppy label. The two singles
            > I have been able to find are:
            >
            > Wake Up (Sleepy Girl)/I Wanna Be
            > Sing Sweet Barbara/Love Affair of Two Happy People
            >
            > These four songs can be found on the new Rev-ola BT Puppy compilation
            > (which I haven't got yet so I don't know if there is any more info
            > on the band there). Anyway, the songs are wonderful examples of soft
            > pop at its best and they make me wonder if the Sundae Train ever
            > released an album or more singles?

Albin, The two singles you mention here are apparently the only 45s
            released by the band. The Sundae Train were rumored to have recorded an
            LP for B.T. Puppy--with a catalog number apparently assigned to a self-
            titled album. Unfortunately, this album doesn't exist (according to Phil
            and Mitch Margo and Sundae Train band members Joel Cherry and Steve
            Fecker.)

For those who are interested, here's my Sundae Train notes included in
            the just-released Rev-Ola various-artist comp, "Night Time Music: The
            B.T. Puppy Story."

Formed in 1965 in Sunbury, Pennsylvania, the band was known as the
            Avantis before adopting the more whimsical-sounding name Sundae Train.
            Personnel consisted of chief conductor Joel Cherry, Bill Gheen, John
            Morgan, Galen Ramsey and Steve Fecker.

The Joel Cherry*penned ³Love Affair² is an exciting build-and-release
            composition that clearly displays the talents of a up-and-coming
            songwriter with serious potential. ³Sing Sweet Barbara² is a sadly-
            forgotten Margo, Margo, Medress & Siegel effort that begs the obvious
            question: why didn¹t this record become a huge hit? The band¹s other
            single was released on the 20th Century label. ³Wake Up (Sleepy Girl)²
            b/w ³I Wanna Be² was co-produced by Dave Appell and Joe Tarsia and has
            stellar production flourishes that enhance the solid pop songcraft.

The band later recorded one single, "Pamela" (b/w same) as simply The
            Train, and released this Tokens*co-produced recording on the Avco Embassy
            label. Credited to Arnold and Alfred Infanzon of the Canterbury Music
            Festival, the tune was long thought to be a CMF recording. Latter-day
            Sundae Train drummer Steve Fecker remembers the mysterious ³Pamela²
            recording session: ³We went down to the Ed Sullivan Theatre (where the
            Tokens had their offices) and I don¹t remember if we actually recorded
            in that building, or if we went somewhere else. But I do remember
            standing around the mic and singing harmonies with the Tokens, and that
            was really exciting. For me, it was as exciting as being there with the
            Beatles or somebody, you know? That was Joel singing lead on Pamela.
            (This recording of "Pamela" can be heard as a bonus track on Canterbury
            Music Festival's "Rain and Shine" CD, released on Rev-Ola earlier this
            year.)

In 1972, the Sundae Train ran out of fuel and morphed into Road Apple,
            a band that included future Starbuck keyboardist David Shaver. Today,
            Joel Cherry is Tanya Tucker¹s attorney/manager. After the demise of Road
            Apple, Steve Fecker went back to college and returned to Sunbury, where
            he currently works for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Comment

Did "Pamela" get any airplay on Honolulu radio? I can't remember the song, though I suspect if I heard it, I more than likely would remember it.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                Did "Pamela" get any airplay on Honolulu radio? I can't remember the song, though I suspect if I heard it, I more than likely would remember it.
                The November 19, 1969 KPOI Action 20 Chart lists "Pamela" at #19 in it's first week of airplay. I know it also got periodic airplay at KTOH here on Kaua`i.

I've found a copy of the CD previously mentioned and when it arrives will send you an mp3 file if you like.

Comment

Just a word of advice... I would keep the mentions of MP3 file trading off the public board. You never know who browses these boards looking for MP3 file traders.

In regards to the KPOI Action 20, do you have copies of old Action 20s? I'd like to post a few more to the Hawaii Radio & Television Guide Archive site if you do. I remember the old KTOH at 1350 on the AM dial I believe in those days. The call letters have been revived for an FM operation there.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Mel,
                    I happen to have some KPOI Action 20's and have scanned them in and burned them on a CD. If you would like I could burn you a copy. I have approximately 100 of them.
                    Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Definitive Version of the song "I Am Hawai`i"?

I'm looking for a definitive version of the classic song, "I Am Hawai`i" on compact disc. Could someone recommend their favorite version of this wonderful melody?

Thanks!

Comment

Re: Definitive Version of the song "I Am Hawai`i"?

The Don Ho version of the song was somewhat popular in the mid 1960s. It's available on his 1966 release Tiny Bubbles which is available at Amazon and perhaps your local record store.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Mel, can you pass along your email address to me?

Mike Mucci
                          Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

In the 70's there was a song all over the radio that had a tahitian beat. I think it went acapella in the middle. Does anyone remember what I'm talking about?

Also, my favorite album to this day is actually a comedy album from Rap Reiplinger, Poi Dog. On my CD version, it is actually a combo of two original albums including Crab Dreams.

My wife thinks I am nuts, but I could listen to "Room Service" all day long. My kids are young enough that they think it's funny too.

Comment

Originally posted by drumorgan
                              In the 70's there was a song all over the radio that had a tahitian beat. I think it went acapella in the middle. Does anyone remember what I'm talking about?
                              Umm. Do you mean Tahiti Tahiti, by Voyage? I asked about that, myself, a few years ago. And someone else has posted the lyrics.

Comment

Originally posted by drumorgan
                                Also, my favorite album to this day is actually a comedy album from Rap Reiplinger, Poi Dog.
                                Absolutely! I still have the Poi Dog album, and I made an MP3 of it (and one of Andy Bumatai as well) and shared it with my siblings.

For me, it's "Japanese Roll Call". I can still rattle it off at the drop of a hat, which just makes my husband shake his head.

Karina
                                Did you ever notice that "What the hell" is always the right decision?

Comment

Working...
                                X