Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Offensive Letter To The Editor About Puna

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
    Also, do you see Hilo developing like Honolulu or just kinda staying put like it is now ?
    I believe the real growth will occur in Puna. There is still 50,000 undeveloped lots there. I've read Puna's growth will cause it to be the largest district population wise in 15 years.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

How is it that the weather has changed in Hilo that drastically?

Also, do you see Hilo developing like Honolulu or just kinda staying put like it is now ?
      Having lived here on the East side of the Big Island now for almost 4-years now and having the benefit of remembering Hilo wayyyyy back in the 60's, the weather has changed remarkably.

Back then it was more of the exception to have a sunny day. It always rained! It's weather was much like Seattle's, always overcast.

Now we have very nice sunny days such as today. It's more of the norm now.

And unfortunately yes I do see Hilo developing much the way Honolulu has over the last three decades. I was eating lunch with my boys at McDonalds at the Puianako Shopping center a month ago and remarked that in a few decades the view over Panaewa will be overshadowed by buildings. It's only salvation will be from the fact that the Hilo Airport's location will make tall buildings prohibitive in that area.

With Walmart building it's supercenter there and Home Depot nearby, it's only a matter of time before that area will be the Kaakako of the Big Island.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        Having lived here on the East side of the Big Island now for almost 4-years now and having the benefit of remembering Hilo wayyyyy back in the 60's, the weather has changed remarkably.

Back then it was more of the exception to have a sunny day. It always rained! It's weather was much like Seattle's, always overcast.

Now we have very nice sunny days such as today. It's more of the norm now.

And unfortunately yes I do see Hilo developing much the way Honolulu has over the last three decades. I was eating lunch with my boys at McDonalds at the Puianako Shopping center a month ago and remarked that in a few decades the view over Panaewa will be overshadowed by buildings. It's only salvation will be from the fact that the Hilo Airport's location will make tall buildings prohibitive in that area.

With Walmart building it's supercenter there and Home Depot nearby, it's only a matter of time before that area will be the Kaakako of the Big Island.
        Well...that is until they move the airport, like they did with Kona airport...Now the old Kona Airport is one runway with weeds growing out of it, and a beachpark.....

What do you think the chances are of Hilo Airport moving out more towards Puna ? Lots of open space there....right NOW anyway....

Also, Pua'i Mana'o mentioned that most of Hilo's bayfront is on flood plain/marsh-type land...wouldn't that prohibit the development of many tall buildings ?

I wonder why the weather shift tho'....
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Nah keep the airport in Hilo, they want all the amenities of town they can keep it. I love it out here in Keaau where there is absolutely no air traffic except for the HELCO planes and choppers that SAY they're looking for down power lines...and not pakalolo

Since too many endangered fauna out by the Volcano area so I'm sure the environmentalists will scream if the airport is moved this way

And yes the bayfront area is prone to tsunami's so that's why no development out there, since all the buildings there (Kress Building etc) cannot be torn down for redevelopment anyway.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I wonder why the weather shift tho'....
            Global warming.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
              Global warming.
              That's too easy of an answer
              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

East Hawaii's weather has been changing since Kilauea began blowing nonstop since 1983. There is a hole in the ozone over the isle as a result, and I have noticed the difference in how I could handle the sun as a child, but won't let my kids take the same risks now, because the sun's effects are much stronger.

The weather right now is par for the course as it is dry season.

As for the airport in Hilo, the current one IS the "new airport". It was built in 1975, to the protests and arrests of many Keaukaha residents because the back street homesteaders were forcibly evicted and resettled onto lots 1/3 the size in Pana'ewa (across from now what is Blockbuster, but then, it was in the middle of...nothing).

As for the HilovsKona smackdown, I've contributed enough already to encourage this discussion into data mining, and I've enjoyed everyone's efforts. Thank you, Aaron for creating this thread. I will end on this thought: Euclid wrote, some million years before Christ (well...) that "the shortest distance between two points is a straight line". Kona is the living corollary of this lesson, in that there are no shortcuts on the hwy when they opt to build in a straight line. To place blame on Hilo who buillt in a circumference as dictated naturally due to the lay of the land is misplaced. Hilo has no monopoly on brilliance, strategy or fiscal assets or "infrastructure", and for Kona to shift its focus there takes away from the real needs it has to resolve its very real problem: too many cul de sacs, not enough grid development.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                  To place blame on Hilo who buillt in a circumference as dictated naturally due to the lay of the land is misplaced. Hilo has no monopoly on brilliance, strategy or fiscal assets or "infrastructure", and for Kona to shift its focus there takes away from the real needs it has to resolve its very real problem: too many cul de sacs, not enough grid development.
                  I disagree, a lot of the reason why there is infrastructure issues in West Hawaii today is due to decisions made in the past in Hilo. As you are aware all final decisions from planning to fiscal decisions are made in Hilo. They are certainly not made in Kona. Worse yet previous county administrations put the needs of developers over the needs of the citizenry here.

The upside is the current county council is stacked in favor of West Hawaii finally. Thus critical legislation, like concurrency which will mandate adequate water and road infrastructure is in place to help mitigate the impacts of new development, finally passed the council into law recently. If this legislation was in place earlier, we wouldn't have as bad infrastructure problems on this island.
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                    I disagree, a lot of the reason why there is infrastructure issues in West Hawaii today is due to decisions made in the past in Hilo. As you are aware all final decisions from planning to fiscal decisions are made in Hilo. They are certainly not made in Kona. Worse yet previous county administrations put the needs of developers over the needs of the citizenry here.

The upside is the current county council is stacked in favor of West Hawaii finally. Thus critical legislation, like concurrency which will mandate adequate water and road infrastructure is in place to help mitigate the impacts of new development, finally passed the council into law recently. If this legislation was in place earlier, we wouldn't have as bad infrastructure problems on this island.
                    Aaron, as long as you post in this general format without providing any specific examples, you appear to be sucking sour grapes, instead of taking the opportunity to prove your case and teach us all something new. How many Kona developers suffered at the whim of the Hilo-stacked County Council, prohibiting the inclusion of thoroughfares to alleviate traffic? C'mon--cite some, and without using the word "infrastructure". Tell us how Hilo shaped Kona.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                      Tell us how Hilo shaped Kona.
                      *sigh*, like I said all final planning decisions are made in Hilo. So all these dead end cul-de-sac's and generally poor planning here in Kona ultimately are the fault of previous administrations in Hilo. Developers had to gain their entitlements somewhere and it wasn't here in Kona.

You want examples I see, take Waikoloa Village for example.Land is re-zoned by the County 20-30 years ago. The catch is there was no stipulation imposed on the developer at the time to build supporting infrastructure. 20-30 years pass, the land is sold and re-sold by multiple developers. Now the chickens are coming home roost with the current developer cashing in those entitlements granted eons ago by previous county administrations in Hilo.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                        *sigh*, like I said all final planning decisions are made in Hilo. So all these dead end cul-de-sac's and generally poor planning here in Kona ultimately are the fault of previous administrations in Hilo. Developers had to gain their entitlements somewhere and it wasn't here in Kona.

You want examples I see, take Waikoloa Village for example.Land is re-zoned by the County 20-30 years ago. The catch is there was no stipulation imposed on the developer at the time to build supporting infrastructure. 20-30 years pass, the land is sold and re-sold by multiple developers. Now the chickens are coming home roost with the current developer cashing in those entitlements granted eons ago by previous county administrations in Hilo.
                        The cul-de-sacs were undoubtedly the developer's idea in the hopes of higher sales prices per unit.
                        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                          The cul-de-sacs were undoubtedly the developer's idea in the hopes of higher sales prices per unit.
                          But who approved it ? It wasn't anyone in Kona. All final planning decisions are made in Hilo. Also there is 9 council members, one of which is from Kona. How
                          can one vote beat eight ?
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Blame the developers! Blame the developers!

In the last 10 years, I have been to at least 50 public hearings, council meetings, planning commission meetings, etc etc. on the west side of the island.

Infrastructure has been stopped for one reason after another.....Environment, Bones, NIMBY's, EIS, Financing, and of course, bureaucratic bungling.

I have been to about 6 meetings on the East Side. Do you want to know what the difference is???? Get ready.......

In West Hawaii, everybody shows up to say NO. In East Hawaii, nobody shows up.

Do you get the joke? Do you see the problem? Or do you sympathize with the Politics of NO so much that you cannot possibly see the disasters that these complainers have wrought?
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Tim, I agree with you, the NIMBY's have stalled a lot of things here in Kona. But I'm not blaming the developers completely. As like I said, all final planning decisions are made in Hilo. It is no secret developers in the past greased the wheel to get their projects to go through with limited or no mitigating infrastructure improvements.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

I thought we were talking about developments that were approved and built?

Were those developers "Kona people"?
                                “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                                http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Working...
                                X