Going to Big Island, what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Going to Big Island, what to do?

Leaving in 2 days.....given I'm not going to really buy anything, bringing $100 should be enough for just food for 4 nights right?

Comment

And what's a pickie?

Comment

Originally posted by tptpgogogo View Post
        Leaving in 2 days.....given I'm not going to really buy anything, bringing $100 should be enough for just food for 4 nights right?
        If you don't mind fast food places then yeah $100 should be enough.

Comment

Hopefully, you don't have a big OPU.

Juss kidding.

To eat is own.

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm going to be staying in Hilo and am going to spend a whole day going around the island,
            bringing $100 should be enough for just food for 4 nights right?
            It will be quite a long day of driving to do the entire island in one day, but doable. Just remember that it is called the BIG island for a reason, and be selective in what you are choosing to do, or else you'll find yourself out of time.

Do you mean $100 for the entire 4 days (breakfast, lunch & dinner)? If so, you might consider stopping at Walmart and getting an inexpensive cooler and stocking up on soda/water, some bread, and the makings for sandwiches, etc. Besides being cheaper than buying fast food, you will find that if you get hungry at, say, the above mentioned Milolii, you are not going to find a place to grab a bite to eat nearby.

You are going to have a blast, Hawaii Island is such a treat when seeking to see Nature in action!
            Last edited by Amati; April 30, 2009, 08:15 AM.
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
              ... you might consider stopping at Walmart and getting an inexpensive cooler and stocking up on soda/water, some bread, and the makings for sandwiches, etc....
              You are going to have a blast, Hawaii Island is such a treat when seeking to see Nature in action!
              I second that! Hope you have a ton of fun!!!
              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

.....given I'm not going to really buy anything, bringing $100 should be enough for just food for 4 nights right?
                Not going to buy anything?!?

Don't tell your friends or co-workers where you're going, or they'll ask why you didn't bring back any goodies from Big Island Candies!

I usually need more than $100 just for the omiyage!!!

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                I wanna see the pickies.
                And what's a pickie?
                I think Barry is referring to the pictures that he hopes you'll post.
                To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

I'm going to be staying in Hilo and am going to spend a whole day going around the island...
                  I agree with Barry, sinjin & Amati that your group will do a LOT of driving if you plan to "go around the island" in a day. Unfortunately, that really doesn't allow a lot of time to see or do much of anything else.

I'm speaking from experience here. Although I have done it on occasion, I don't enjoy it much... because I'm usually the only one driving.

If you and your friends were able to do an overnight on the Kona side, you could spend more time exploring Waimea & Kohala... do some snorkeling in Kailua-Kona... as well as the excellent suggestions of visiting Miloli'i and Pu'uhonua o Honaunau.

Manago Hotel in Captain Cook is clean & affordable. I think quad occupancy is about $65 per night + taxes (guess you'd have to sneak the 5th person in, though, LOL).

Then you'd also be able to do as sinjin suggested, and have a great pork chop dinner!
                  Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                  Eat the pork chops at the Manago in Capt. Cook.
                  Pork chops or the fried opelu... Da buggah so ono, brok' da mout'!
                  OMG, just the thought is making me hungry!
                  To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Originally posted by musubi View Post
                    ...or the fried opelu... Da buggah so ono, brok' da mout'!
                    OMG, just the thought is making me hungry!
                    Mahalo for that. Can't wait to get back there.
                    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

When driving around, make sure you stop at any place that looks interesting, explore, and take pictures!

And don't take any lava or volcanic rocks home with you or you'll be mailing them back posthaste! Bad, bad luck!

I always wondered:
                      1. Where do you address those when you do mail them back?
                      2. Does the post office just keep them until they get a big stack and then dump them weekly or something?
                      3. Do they even put them back at all?

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                        When driving around, make sure you stop at any place that looks interesting, explore, and take pictures!

And don't take any lava or volcanic rocks home with you or you'll be mailing them back posthaste! Bad, bad luck!

I always wondered:
                        1. Where do you address those when you do mail them back?
                        2. Does the post office just keep them until they get a big stack and then dump them weekly or something?
                        3. Do they even put them back at all?
                        They do. I believe there's an exhibit with the notes accompanying returned lava at Volcanoes Nat'l Park HQ IIRC. Funny reading but not always funny haha.
                        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Working...
                        X