KHNL - the future of news?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KHNL - the future of news?

Wayne Harada reports on big changes for KHNL news as the station moves to their new digs ... a switch from a "News Director" to a "Content Director." Dan Dennision is out and Program Director Dan Schmidt is in.

Just exactly what "content" is, however, is not discussed or defined in the story - beyond noting that News8 will be the first local hi-def newscast:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...localnewsfront

Wonder if they will be called KHNL Content? Or perhaps Content8?

Re: KHNL - the future of news?

How will they be different? Will the anchors do the news walking around the studio instead of reading the news sitting down? There was a funny scene in Airplane where a Polynesian newscaster was doing the news by drums and then he did camera face turn when they switch to a different camera angle.

Comment

Interesting timing. I was noticing Honolulu Advertiser's readers pics and "Get Published" articles mulling it over along with the challenges of newspaper finances and wondered .....

Perhaps the future of news is professionally edited submissions? Some of the stuff we see now is just thinly disguised press releases, so I'm not sure it's that big of a change.

Perhaps the day of reporters is past and now it's the dawn of community reporting. At the end of the day, it's really about ratings - and money. At least they won't be calling it news anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
        How will they be different? Will the anchors do the news walking around the studio instead of reading the news sitting down?
        You know who liked to anchor the news standing up, Paul Udell, when he was in Indianapolis and also when he first came to Hawaii in 1979 and anchored at KHON he often always would stand and deliver the news. In fact there was no anchor desk when he did the news at KHON, so the co-anchors (Barbara Tanabe), sports (Joe Moore/Les Keiter), in house reporters like Scott Shirai all delivered the news sitting down on sofas or couches with coffee tables in front of them. Odd news setting if you ask me.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
          You know who liked to anchor the news standing up, Paul Udell, when he was in Indianapolis and also when he first came to Hawaii in 1979 and anchored at KHON he often always would stand and deliver the news. In fact there was no anchor desk when he did the news at KHON, so the co-anchors (Barbara Tanabe), sports (Joe Moore/Les Keiter), in house reporters like Scott Shirai all delivered the news sitting down on sofas or couches with coffee tables in front of them. Odd news setting if you ask me.

Aj
          That's all kind of innovative, but until an anchor delivers the news while lying on a sofabed, under the covers, I don't think we'll be ready to reinvent journalism just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
            Some of the stuff we see now is just thinly disguised press releases, so I'm not sure it's that big of a change ... At least they won't be calling it news anymore.
            Sorry, but I think that’s just wishful thinking on your part. Content director or news director, you can be sure KHNL is going to sell this stuff as news. And unfortunately, others may follow suit if the scheme can bring it, ratings and moneywise. *sigh*

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Well, no matter what KHNL has tried, it hasn't worked yet.

By the way - the "early" numbers from the November rating period should be leaking out soon. Anyone heard anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                How will they be different? Will the anchors do the news walking around the studio instead of reading the news sitting down?
                KHNL used to do that when they first started to do newscasting.

Comment

The change is part of Raycom's (KHNL/KFVE corporate parent) across the board layoffs at all of its stations.

Comment

The NFL just broadcast a game in 3-D. They can show a hurricane or storm coming at you in hi-def.

Comment

This reaction is not orginal - comes from a veteran TV news guy, but thought I'd pass it along:

"Is Content assembled piece by piece like news? Or does Content even come in pieces? Is fairness considered? Must a story of DisContent be balanced by one of DatContent? Does the staff work at a large round table of Contents?"

Comment

I'm pretty sure things will pretty much remain the same, except the assistant news directors will handle the day-to-day operations. Dan Schmidt will have oversight over personnel, budgets and expenses.
                        Raycom just got rid of one high paying position that oversaw the lowest rated newscast and consolidated the department under programming and commercial production.

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
                          I'm pretty sure things will pretty much remain the same, except the assistant news directors will handle the day-to-day operations.
                          KHNL calls Rich Meiers and Randy Ennis “assistant news directors” but clearly, they already had their hands full when they were given those additional titles. Correct me if I am wrong, but Meiers is still the executive producer, and Ennis is still the operations manager, right? Those are full-time jobs with a myriad of responsibilities. It will be interesting to see how they will now “handle” the elimination of Dennison’s position on a long-term basis.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Hey, should have known Ms. E has a better story - but just got around to seeing it:

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...NLKFVE-TV.html

Comment

Thank you for your kind words about my story vs. the Tizer's!
                              I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Working...
                              X