Tropical Storm Lana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tropical Storm Lana

This system is becoming a concern, or at least too close for comfort. News bulletins began their reports with confidence that it was heading in a steady westerly pattern. Now their report says its direction is west-northwest!!!

This screen capture of Tropical Storm Lana is of NOAA's satellite loop @ about 8:30pm Hawaii time, Thursday night, July 31st (tonight)...

And it indeed appears veering more in a northwesterly pattern.

NOAA current pacific-wide visible satellite loop here:
    http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/tpac/loop-vis.html

NOAA satellite master page here:
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/satellite.shtml

NOAA National Hurricane Center here:
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml?epac]

Please say your prayers (that it goes away!) and get your Hurricane Preparedness Kits ready just in case. Seriously.
    Last edited by Pomai; July 30, 2009, 09:45 PM. Reason: sp.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Tropical Storm Lana

Two things come to mind:

1) They are using "L" for the storm names now? I didn't think that many storms got generated this year?

2) Damm and I got an event for this Sunday, I hope this storm doesn't hit the state.

Comment

Most of the tropical storms that we hear about in Hawaii get started in the Eastern Pacific, off the Mexican coast. They typically run out of steam before they get all the way out to the Hawaiian Islands.

But Lana is a Central Pacific storm... just like Hurricane Iniki and Hurricane Iwa were. Central Pacific storms get started close to us, so they don't lose all their punch before they get here. In fact, Lana's track looks an awful lot like the first few days of Iniki's track back in 1992.

I agree with Pomai. We need to watch this one.

Comment

Here's another good hurricane tracking website:

http://www.stormpulse.com/pacific/

Comment

If you have the bandwidth then go to the satellite looper at
          http://metocph.nmci.navy.mil/animator.php
          and choose "Hawaii Area IR" in the upper left-hand corner.

In the lower left-hand corner replace the "10" with "50" images, then click on "Last". Wait for it to load the last 50 GOES IR satellite images and start looping them. Maybe go "Faster" to about 3 frames per second.

Thursday afternoon around 2-4 PM Hawaii time (0000-0200 UTC 31 July) the storm looked like it was developing an eye wall and spinning up to hurricane strength. Since then it's lost the eye while becoming bigger & mushier.

Latest prediction (Friday evening) is passing south this weekend at wind speeds of less than 40 knots. Sunday could be rainy on Oahu.
          http://metocph.nmci.navy.mil/jtwc/warnings/ep0609.gif

And the south shore surf should be great!
          http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/pages/SRF.php
          Last edited by Nords; July 31, 2009, 06:24 PM.
          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
            1) They are using "L" for the storm names now? I didn't think that many storms got generated this year?
            Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
            Most of the tropical storms that we hear about in Hawaii get started in the Eastern Pacific, off the Mexican coast. They typically run out of steam before they get all the way out to the Hawaiian Islands.

But Lana is a Central Pacific storm.
            Found out that list of storm names for the Central Pacific operate differently from the list of storm names for the Eastern Pacific. The Central Pacific list doesn't start from the letter A at the start of the season like it's done with the Eastern Pacific list.

In fact the storm before Lana, which is Kika happened in 2008.
            Last edited by helen; August 7, 2009, 10:57 AM. Reason: added an URL

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
              [...]
              Please say your prayers (that it goes away!) and get your Hurricane Preparedness Kits ready just in case. Seriously.
              Hurricane kit is ready for Felicia which automatically overlaps to Lana!!! Any ETA for Lana?

Comment

Tropical Storm Lana was the name of the storm from last week which passed south of the state.

Enrique is the other storm that was next to Felicia, but Enrique has been downgraded to a Tropical Depression and it's 3 day track ends on Saturday.

Comment

So I won't need that extra bottle of wine for Lana? Lana's pau already?!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    Lana's pau already?!
                    Forget pau Lana - drink the wine when pau hana!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Forget pau Lana - drink the wine when pau hana!
                      Ok...it must be 5:00 somewhere in the world!

Comment

As explained to the the topic starter. We don't get tropic storms but we do get gales and power cuts. Houses blacked out as are the roads. I keep a supply of food in mine and the family come down for an adventure.
                        Like the olden days,,,, we sing songs

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          Ok...it must be 5:00 somewhere in the world!
                          HAHAHA.............that's always my thought on the weekend. It's 5:00 somewhere!
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                          X