Disappointing Dishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointing Dishes

We all like to talk about the food that swoons. Ono, delcious, oishii, great-tasting stuff. But how about foods you've tried that left you with a bitter taste, was God-aweful, or even worse, had you running to the bathroom!

I'll hereby nominate the Jimmy Dean Canadian Bacon, Egg White & Chees Muffin Breakfast Sandwich (yeah, that one in the big box from Costco) as a major disappointment. Where's da' sample lady? I bet it would've tasted better from her. lol

After eating that, I appreciate a "fresh" Egg McMuffin that much more.

What dishes or food products have you tried that had you thinking cardboard might taste better? lol
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Disappointing Dishes

There's more times than not that my own cooking disappoints me. Mostly because I don't stick with the original recipe. Instead, playing "doctor", like I did with my first attempt at Okinawan Pig's Feet Soup.

Was good, but not da' same.

But I get Auntie Lynn's Chicken/Pork Adobo recipe down!
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

My former room mate (was like an older brother to me) used to rave about the Arroz con Pollo ( mexican chicken and rice dish) he remembered having as a child growing up in Texas. I tried to replicate it, based upon his description of it. Blech! My first attempt had the texture of a very stiff Chinese Jook with Mexican seasonings in it! LOL.

Fortunately, my room mate was able to get a very good recipe from a fellow policeman who was also Mexican American, and I was able to cook it perfectly thereafter.

Comment

All of this pop-culture fusion-cuisine nonsense is nothing more than "art-nouveau" applied to food.

I went to Sam Choy's in Kona.

We were pressed for time since our flight was scheduled to leave in less than 2 hours. The waiter brought out our dinner with the salad sitting on top of our entree.

He offered to take it back but we had NO TIME to wait for them to try to get it right on the second attempt.

We had to eat that pathetic excuse for food, then pay a ridiculous price for it. I did not leave a tip.

We have not eaten at Sam Choy's since then, and I now make it a point to avoid other "fusion" outlets like Roy's and Alan Wong.
        It you're going to cook food, then just cook the darn food, but if you're trying to create art then use an easel and palette, and restrict your work to a fu*%@&# canvas!

Comment

I took my Mom to Mariposa. I ordered the duck salad. The duck was dry and tasteless like cardboard... I had a hard time swallowing it. The top layer of greens were OK, but it covered a mess of almost rotten greens. I wanted to complain, but I didn't want to ruin the mood for my Mom. I did, however, write a letter to them, but didn't get a response.

Catch of the Day Sushi... are they closed now? My husband and I ordered a mess of different sushis. The rice was a little hard and tasteless, but passable. Later that night, I woke up and kept throwing up (sorry). My husband was OK, so I think it may have been the fried oyster nigiris, which he didn't touch. I'm assuming it was the food because I was otherwise OK.

Comment

Chocolate cake and beer don't mix but I didn't feel it until a few hours later.

Also that meatloaf I had from Foodland a few days ago was meant to be heated and I didn't do that.

Comment

EVERYTHING at L&L in Rancho Cucamonga, CA last time I went a few months ago. I was so sad about that too. We spent $60 gettin all sorts of local grindz and NOTHING was good.
              I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

The oysters rockafellar at Chart house were a bit of a let down for me, NOT how I am used to them. To smothered in bad hollandaise and just over all to greasy.
                flickr

An email from God:
                To: People of Earth
                Date: 9/04/2007
                Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                God

Comment

Last night I went to the UH Wahine volleyball game at the Stan Sheriff Center. The garlic fries looked and smelled so ono! But, unfortunately, they were way too garlicky (for me, anyways)... I couldn't even eat like half of them! Next time, I think I will try the onion rings or stick to Dippin' Dots, like my kids always get!
                  I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

I've had a lover or two that wasn't as good as I thought they might've been.
                    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post

lol
                      flickr

An email from God:
                      To: People of Earth
                      Date: 9/04/2007
                      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                      God

Comment

Re: Disappointing Dishes: L&L "Hawaiian Barbecue"

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                        So French men aren't the "great lovers" the media portrays them to be, huh?

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
                        EVERYTHING at L&L in Rancho Cucamonga, CA last time I went a few months ago. I was so sad about that too. We spent $60 gettin all sorts of local grindz and NOTHING was good.
                        Don't feel bad. Most of the L&L's here on Oahu are just as bad. IMO, just overall generic, mediocre food that has as much character as the plate it's sitting on.

I've heard there's an L&L location out Ewa Beach side that's really good. Whoopie. "1 out of 10" isn't good enough. They need to be consistent. Or, if they are consisent, then they consistently suck.

I haven't been to the original L&L on Liliha Street in a while, but I remember that one was EXCELLENT.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
                          L&L... Gross. The thought of their food makes me sick.

Comment

Originally posted by nikki View Post
                            L&L... Gross. The thought of their food makes me sick.
                            Beggars no can be choosy. Lau laus not easy to get in the Bay Area South Bay. You can get some that are frozen, but humbug fixing it.

I go to the Campbell and Milpitas L&Ls & stick to lau lau almost exclusively because it's fatty, moist and they tell me they're flown in from Hawaii. $5.95 for a mini isn't outrageous; was $4.95 when L&Ls first opened.
                            Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                              What dishes or food products have you tried that had you thinking cardboard might taste better? lol
                              Most of the Pizza in LA(or anywhere outside of NY) is pretty dismal. I have to search high and low to get a decent slice here in LA

The same goes for Chinese food here in LA, 90% of the time...big time disappointment.

Speaking of breakfast sandwiches, Starbucks started having them at select locations. M A J O R disappoinment.

Nothing beats an McD's Egg McMuffin for the quick breakfast sandwich.
                              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Working...
                              X