Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > The Workshop
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:13 AM
Kumu

Default Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 4

1) I photographed this huge rose in Amsterdam and doctored it up a little.

2) This is St. Chapelle in Paris. It's got kind of a gothic look to it anyway, so I adjusted it in that direction. One of the French Kings had this built to house what he believed was the crown of thorns worn by Christ. I believe it was later determined not to be authentic. Inside you're surrounded almost entirely by stained glass. It's standing room only. There was a woman whose job was to maintain an atmosphere of reverence, I guess, and every so often she would say "SHHHH" really loud. People would quiet right down. Gradually the voices would slowly begin to increase in volume and she would drop the hammer again.

3) This is one of the windows of the mask shop in Venice, Italy that made the masks used in Stanley Kubrick's last film, "Eyes Wide Shut". These are yet to be painted/decorated.

Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:24 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
glass and body don;t mean anything
As long as I'm not submitting my pics for print. Luckily for me, visual standards are lower online. But I shoot for fun, which I believe is your point, Tat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim75 View Post
This a great abstract. It looks like some tree trunk and maybe a cage or a heavy wire fence in the background. The foreground looks maybe like some kind of nautical thing. What is it?
Hmm, it does look like brass, doesn't it Jim?

The metal is gold-plated copper. It's a printed circuit board (PCB) made from a fiberglass material (FR4), the kind of stuff you find in electronic equipment. It's not the usual green, because it lacks a solder mask. You can scrape off the thin electrical traces (not shown) with your fingernail.

As with most of my shots, this one was pure luck.

I was holding the camera in one hand, which ended up tilted (hence the tree being at an angle). I was holding the board in the other hand, fighting a nasty gust of wind. I was also walking at the time. I took a wild shot.

Even though the picture isn't level, what you'll notice is the edge of board forms an angle with the the tree and metal grating (belonging to the radiator of a central A/C system). The imaginary line which bisects this angle is horizontal. That's my guess as to why this picture works.

Here's the real kicker: this picture is a 1/8th crop of the original JPEG. Most of the shot is meh, except for this little section which caught my eye. I cropped it until the board edge hit the upper right corner perfectly.

I admit I love cropping pictures more than taking them. I love the surprise of finding a picture within a picture. It feels like a treasure hunt.

(the downside of course is I lose a lot of resolution, making it unsuitable for print)
Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:37 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
1) I photographed this huge rose in Amsterdam and doctored it up a little.
Heh, "a little". I think playing with an image in Photoshop is a great way to add another dimension of creativity. It's not very different from the tricks film photographers use in a dark room, I would imagine.

Quote:
2) This is St. Chapelle in Paris. It's got kind of a gothic look to it anyway, so I adjusted it in that direction.
The effect looks like a film negative

Thanks for the little stories behind your pics. I think one cool thing about your photography is all the traveling you do, to get the shots. Maybe you should get one of those new fancy schmancy GPS enabled cameras.
Old August 24th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Kumu

Here's some from today.

Everybody takes this surfboard shot in some form or other.

Old August 25th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
here is some where I am at now, in Old town Fairfax

The old courthouse
I love the sunset light on the brick building. The blue sky is rather vivid also. Nice contrasts and nice details in that wide angle shot.

Quote:
3) Turtle - This guy was crossing the highway and I stopped and helped him on his way, but he had to agree to a photograph.
Haha. I hope you got the turtle to sign a release form

I like the picture of the dwarf poinciana flower. The shape of the flower buds reminds me of microscopic plants. Nice translucent light on the two flower shots. I dig the satin sheen on the surf boards.

BTW, the only reason I know the name of the dwarf poinciana flower was because it was pictured in my mom's calendar. I visited my parents today, saw it, and thought, "Hey, Jim took a picture of that kind of flower!"
Old August 25th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Kumu

Thanks MyopicJoe. One of my coworkers suggested I might like Waimea Valley so I went there today. How cool is that place! I'll post more tomorrow, but the net is dragging and I need to go to bed.

Old August 25th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Kumu

More Waimea Valley.

Old August 25th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Ali`i

I like that tint of lavender. Any of you folk out there, trained in color, got a specific name for that one?

Nice abstract lines and shapes in the second pic, along with translucent sunlight.

Haha that last one looks like a gooey cinnamon roll. The angular lines of the insect's legs makes a nice contrast to the "doughiness" of the flower.

I need to get myself to Waimea Valley ASAP, Jim!
Old August 26th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Ali`i

Does anybody else find this a bit odd? I saw this during my walk this morning:

Here's my take on this: "Now leasing at Discovery Bay: children! Get yours today! Errr...no thanks."

Or how about, "Snappers Bar/Grill is kid-friendly. Exclusive ledge play area for your kids while you drink. Complimentary beheadings included! (Bar not responsible for falls).

I am just joking about my captions, just for the record, but the pics are totally real and un-doctored.
Old August 26th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
"Now leasing at Discovery Bay: children! Get yours today! Errr...no thanks."
Haha. "I'm not happy with the 8-year old model. Can I exchange it for a toddler and a kindergartener?"

Quote:
"Snappers Bar/Grill is kid-friendly. Exclusive ledge play area for your kids while you drink. Complimentary beheadings included! (Bar not responsible for falls).
xD

It is a rather goofy display. I guess they had some dolls on their hands and didn't know what to do with them?
Old August 26th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
Does anybody else find this a bit odd? I saw this during my walk this morning:

Here's my take on this: "Now leasing at Discovery Bay: children! Get yours today! Errr...no thanks."

Or how about, "Snappers Bar/Grill is kid-friendly. Exclusive ledge play area for your kids while you drink. Complimentary beheadings included! (Bar not responsible for falls).

I am just joking about my captions, just for the record, but the pics are totally real and un-doctored.

I was soooo bummed when Shanghai Bistro closed! I lived at Disco Bay for a while and when I left the island, Snappers had not even gotten the liquor license...and the owner was a bit gruff and, well, an ass, lol...I hope they do well though.

An email from God:
To: People of Earth
Date: 9/04/2007
Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
God
Old August 27th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Ali`i

These are not my pictures. They belong to Spanish photographer Chema Madoz. I love the creativity in his surreal pictures.

Old August 31st, 2008, 02:53 PM

A few photos from the Big Island this weekend.

"Poof" is the name of my sister's cat.

Little baby gecko.

White flowers in Honokaa.

All photos taken with my Canon S5 iS EVF digital camera.

These photos and more are posted at my Flickr site.
Old August 31st, 2008, 10:13 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT

Those are great. as always Mel!

An email from God:
To: People of Earth
Date: 9/04/2007
Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
God
Old August 31st, 2008, 10:56 PM
Ali`i

I love this thread. Thanks to all of you who post all these fantastic photos!!! You folks are amazingly talented.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old September 1st, 2008, 12:09 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post
A few photos from the Big Island this weekend.
Great shots Mel! Especially the gecko shot. It absolutely rules!

I hiked up to Maunawili Falls today. As I was walking back, the line from Joni Mitchell's song "Woodstock" popped into my head - "and we've got to find our way . . . back to the garden". The next words that popped into my head - "I think I found my way back".

Old September 1st, 2008, 12:24 AM
Kumu

There were several people at the falls, more as I was leaving. Some were jumping off into the pool. Some from about 15ft. Others from maybe 30ft or more. I asked a local guy how deep it was and he said he didn't know as no-one had ever touched the bottom. They were pretty tolerant of me and my camera. Mahalos to you all for that. I find photographing people kinda tricky (in terms of who minds being in a photo and who doesn't).

Old September 1st, 2008, 12:30 AM
Kumu

More from the trail.

Old September 1st, 2008, 12:46 AM
Kia`aina

Send a message via AIM to sophielynette

Nice photos Jim. I'm like you in that I'm kind of awkward about taking photos of people, usually I try to do it without them noticing, which possibly brings up some sort of moral dilemmas but I try not to think about it too much.

I haven't been doing much photography since I moved here, which is a real shame, kind of complicated, but I'm trying to get into taking and sharing photos again. Here are a series of panoramics I've been shooting off my lanai.

Old September 1st, 2008, 01:45 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophielynette View Post
Nice photos Jim. I'm like you in that I'm kind of awkward about taking photos of people, usually I try to do it without them noticing, which possibly brings up some sort of moral dilemmas but I try not to think about it too much.

I haven't been doing much photography since I moved here, which is a real shame, kind of complicated, but I'm trying to get into taking and sharing photos again. Here are a series of panoramics I've been shooting off my lanai.
Beautiful panoramas, Sophielynette.

Yeah, including people in photos is a challenge. These people knew they were going to be in my photos as I wasn't exactly clicking them off from the hip. I was knee deep in the pond with them at points. At the same time, I wasn't comfortable taking shots of them facing me. That felt too instrusive. Shooting toward their backs was just a step less uncomfortable. I like the photos. I don't think they'b be as interesting without the people. It's one of those deals where the people are an important part of the scene. You don't want to be intrusive, but you want some people in the picture.

I was down at Waikiki last weekend and I found that even more difficult. Even if you're trying to capture the whole crowd, somebody's going to be in the center and people react to a camera being pointed in their general direction. I saw a Hawaiian man with a long white beard. I'd like to have taken his picture as he was interesting. I suppose I should have just asked. If anybody has experience with this, tell us about it.
Old September 1st, 2008, 01:55 AM
Ali`i

Wow! i really like your shots at Maunawili Falls, Jim, especially Post #92. And sophielynette, nice panos. Did you stitch it in PhotoShop? Mel, nice shots, especially the cat and the gecko (except it's not a gecko; it's an anole).

Great shots, everyone! I really like this thread.
Old September 1st, 2008, 02:23 AM
Kia`aina

Send a message via AIM to sophielynette

My camera actually has a built in panoramic function, I don't think I'd have the patience to do them otherwise. It's not an actual panoramic photo, but rather it takes the photo, gives you a semi transparent guide for the next two photos, then stitches them together in camera. I don't always line them up right, but it still looks pretty nice.
Old September 1st, 2008, 02:54 AM
Ali`i

Wow, a whole flood of pictures today. Yay!

Mel:

I took a peek at your flickr site. The colors in your floral shots are wonderfully vivid. Great demonstration of the performance you can squeeze out of a consumer camera. Your pictures remind me to pay more attention to color (I tend to favor lines).

For that gecko shot, did you max out the monster 12x zoom on your camera? Or were you able to sneak up pretty close without spooking the little buggah?

Jim:

I like the second picture with all the wavy tree trunks. Very funky.

Heh, I remember jumping off the rocks at Maunawili Falls. I was too chicken to jump off the spot where the two guys are. I basically picked the lowest ledge, and even then it took me a while to build up my nerve. I didn't exactly jump; more like scooted into the water

The water tastes rather sweet (no, I didn't actually drink the water). Does anyone know if taro or something grows upstream? IIRC there's another set of falls farther up? There's also these little shrimp that live in the pool. They nibble on your skin (it seemed).

Sophie:

Woohoo! Glad to see you picking up the camera again. I dig the deep blue / purple / pink on the right side of your first pic

I really should try panoramics. I wish I still had access to the First Hawaiian Bank building. Great views from the upper floors. I remember the first time I took my wife up the express elevators. At the ground floor the elevator is in this dark well. My wife was leaning against the glass, looking out into darkness, when suddenly we broke into sunlight. I had forgotten to warn her how fast the elevators are and she freaked. It really is dizzying the first few times you ride them.

Last edited by MyopicJoe; September 1st, 2008 at 02:57 AM.
Old September 1st, 2008, 03:13 AM
Ali`i

Wow, Jim. I noticed in the first pic of post #92, your shutter speed was 1/10th of a second? I don't think I could hold my camera that steady, even with the help of image stabilization. *whistle*
Old September 1st, 2008, 03:53 AM
Ali`i

Thumbs up Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 4

OMG!

I love this thread... the flora and fauna along with the man-made.

Me this mornin' at Manoa Falls and beyond!
Looking for "Manoa Falls Plastic Pot" cache.