• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "ipod" recommendation

i recently returned from a trip that had two legs and a long layover:

leg 1 = 7 hours
    layover = 6 hours
    leg 2 = 7 hours

while in the air, i thought it'd be nice to have an ipod to watch movies of my choosing so i later did a search and the variety of options is overwhelming so i'm turning once again to you guys who have a better grasp of what's "good".

i'm basically looking for something that will hold/play at least 3 movies and i'd like to spend not much more than $200.

i don't know which generation model is best, which has the best screen, which is least buggy, etc but i'm all ears. (i absolutely don't care about having the latest model; just what works best.)

thanks for any suggestions
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: "ipod" recommendation

I have an iPod Touch and recently went to Vegas. i think the flight was 5.5 hrs. I forget already but I did have a full charge when I stepped onto the plane. I watched two movies and i started getting 'shutdown messages' 1/2 way thru the 2nd movie. I think I paid 300 for this Touch.

Anyhoo, I dont know of any video player that lasts as long or longer than this particular iPod. Maybe get it and charge it while on layover at the airport.

Maybe pick up a sub-300 dollar laptop and buy a spare battery?

Comment

Originally posted by asuhoru View Post
      [...]Maybe get it and charge it while on layover at the airport.

Or, if an appropriate iPod is found, maybe pick up an external iPod battery?

Comment

How about the Griffin Tunejuice? It used standard 9V batteries.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/tunejuice

Garry

Comment

I picked up a Sandisk Fuze from Best Buy. It has 8 gigs and costs less than $150.

I'm not sure how you plan to DL movies into your player, but I usually just DL from OVguide.com. Some of the video is low quality, but it works. I have over 2 oo MP3z and over 150 of my favorite 80's music videos, and I still havent used half the memory.

DD
          www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Or, if an appropriate iPod is found, maybe pick up an external iPod battery?
            check out this thread and a few battery options;

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=419864

this seems worth the risk @ just $15

http://www.duracelldirect.com/part_drpwrv.aspx

thanks for the suggestion!
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

thanks for the replies; a few days went by without any responses so i went looking elsewhere on the web and found out a lot; also went to the apple store at ala moana and i must admit: i immediately lusted after the Touch! what a cool, sleek player!

anyway, i decided to take a chance and i ordered a refurbished touch (16 gigs) for around $300. should be here on wednesday. (1 yr warranty included) i searched craigslist but couldn't find anything decent plus they often didn't include all the stuff that comes with a new one (e.g., docking station, cable, etc); maybe just stolen goods.

i can't wait for it to get here!

<regarding the laptop idea, no that won't work for me; i've got a good, portable laptop but i don't wanna use it just to watch movies while in the air; definitely a hassle whereas a Touch is so much smaller; sure, the picture won't be as good as my laptop but flying in coach is ridiculous to begin with; there's simply not enough space to hassle with a laptop; besides, if the person in front of me decides to recline his/her seat, i'll be watching the laptop's screen will be resting against my big fat stomach and my eyes aren't there!>

I have an iPod Touch and recently went to Vegas. i think the flight was 5.5 hrs. I forget already but I did have a full charge when I stepped onto the plane. I watched two movies and i started getting 'shutdown messages' 1/2 way thru the 2nd movie. I think I paid 300 for this Touch.

Anyhoo, I dont know of any video player that lasts as long or longer than this particular iPod. Maybe get it and charge it while on layover at the airport.

Comment

Re: &quot;ipod&quot; recommendation

thanks for another good suggestion but i'm a little concerned because at the bottom of the page, it doesn't specifically include the touch as a supported product....

* late edit: just found this; it's their updated version that will work with the touch:
                http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/tunejuice2

i wish they'd say how many hours it'll add to the play time tho.....

Originally posted by gchun View Post
                How about the Griffin Tunejuice? It used standard 9V batteries.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/tunejuice

Garry
                Last edited by shaveice; July 20, 2008, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Hey, that TuneJuice2 looks good! I might be needing to do an upgrade!!

I wish, just like you, they could include play time, but I guess that's hard to determine since playback could be a video, which probably drains the ipod faster than audio only.

GC

Comment

If they'd just say, as an example, 8 hours of music and 3 hours of video on one charge then we, the consumers, would have a guideline. My iPod battery is wearing down so I'll be looking for something external fairly soon.

Comment

it just occurred to me that the apple site (if i remember correctly) says that the touch will play 5 hours of movies on a single, full charge so i wonder why you were getting that low charge message half way thru the second movie? maybe false advertising. anyway, an external battery is a must for me....

regarding how much more these batteries will provide, i missed it:

TuneJuice2 claims this: "When your iPod battery runs low, TuneJuice will provide up to 14 hours of additional audio play, or 2 more hours of video enjoyment. Pop 4 AAA batteries into TuneJuice (your first 4 are included) and keep rocking...."

and the DRPWRV External Battery claims this: "...Triples the iPod's run time. " Definitely vague since the time will vary (music vs video). anyway, that's what these products are claiming...

I have an iPod Touch and recently went to Vegas. i think the flight was 5.5 hrs. I forget already but I did have a full charge when I stepped onto the plane. I watched two movies and i started getting 'shutdown messages' 1/2 way thru the 2nd movie.
                      Last edited by shaveice; July 20, 2008, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X