Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Checkers and Pogo

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Pretty good list. But don't forget the Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies shorts. While many cartoons entered and exited C&P's programming rotation, these classic WB cartoons were a constant staple. Since the C&P show aired before the age of political correctness, they even showed titles which have been shunned by the likes of Cartoon Network/Nickelodeon due to racial stereotypes, like Bugs Bunny Nips The Nips and Tokio Jokio. (When I look back on it now, I'm kinda surprised that KGMB allowed young, impressionable kids to be exposed to all that outdated World War II propaganda.)

Other favorites included Max, the 2000 year old mouse. (Lots of historical information in that one.) Also, the Marvel Comics cartoons from the 1960s. (Spider Man, Iron Man, Captain America, Incredible Hulk, Mighty Thor, and the Submariner.)
    Did any of these cartoons had a group called MAD, which stood for Maladjusted, Anti-Social, and Darn Mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
      Did any of these cartoons had a group called MAD
      Those were the bad guys from Tom of T.H.U.M.B.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        Those were the bad guys from Tom of T.H.U.M.B.
        I enjoyed Tom of T.H.U.M.B., King Kong, Tennessee Tuxedo as a kid and much to my delight my two young boys like watching the same cartoons I watched as a kid. In fact if you buy the King Kong DVD cartoon the Tom of T.H.U.M.B. is included.

Aj

Comment

Because originally that's how the two cartoons were packaged. Tom of T.H.U.M.B. was sandwiched between two King Kong cartoons in one half hour episode.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
            Because originally that's how the two cartoons were packaged. Tom of T.H.U.M.B. was sandwiched between two King Kong cartoons in one half hour episode.
            I agree. That is how I remembered them. Voice of King Kong's friend I believe was the same voice of Rankin Bass' version of Rudolph. I think they were Rankin Bass Productions.

Aj

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the Tom of T.H.U.M.B. DVD. Got the George Of the Jungle/Super Chicken/Tom Slick DVD set and the Milton The Monster/Fearless Fly set. Can't believe how much I remember from these shows.

Comment

Was The Three Stooges shorts in the "Checkers and Pogo" show?

When you're a small kid, you took the characters seriously, and they seemed to lose in every episode. I couldn't watch the Peanuts specials because Charlie Brown always came out with the short end of the stick except for the Christmas special. In that one, the Peanuts gang took Charlie Brown's runt tree and remodel it into a winning Christmas tree.
                As an older kid, the guys you hang with had "the Moe one, the Larry One, and the Curly one." Those guys might have hit too close to home with their pecking order during your insecure teen years.
                Then when you got to be college age and older, you could really enjoy the humor of The Three Stooges especially after consuming mass quantities of beer.

Comment

In honor of father's day, dad gets a gift bag from his kids. For some reason in the depts of my memory, I remember Superspy going through his gift bag. One of those goodies in which he showed to the camera was skunk soap. And he said that "skunk soap would make you kusai." To a small kid, that's what I'm talkin' about the jokes I wanna hear.

Comment

One year in December during the late 60's or early 70's KGMB announced that they were bringing in snow to Hawaii. Kids of all ages were invited to come down to the studio one evening and play in the snow after trucks had it delivered to the KGMB front lawn. Not sure if it was a Checkers and Pogo thing but I'm sure they helped advertise for the event. My parents brought us down to play in it for as long as it lasted.

Comment

There was a lawn in front of KGMB TV's studio?
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Lawn or a large patch of grass somewhere near the front as I recall. Somewhere in that general area.....

Comment

Originally posted by PearlCityMike View Post
                          Lawn or a large patch of grass somewhere near the front as I recall. Somewhere in that general area.....
                          Was it like the artificial turf lawn on The Brady Bunch?
                          Last edited by Walkoff Balk; June 23, 2008, 07:24 PM. Reason: add

Comment

For you Hawaii 5-0 fans with the season 4 DVD set, quick. Take out disc 5 and watch the episode "While You're At It, Bring In The Moon." You'll see Professor Fun (aka Fred Ball) making a couple of brief appearances as a nosy reporter. And guess what he's wearing?

A Checkers & Pogo Aloha shirt.

Fred's wearing a blue pattern. I had one with a brown pattern. Many sizes ago, of course.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post

A Checkers & Pogo Aloha shirt.

Fred's wearing a blue pattern. I had one with a brown pattern. Many sizes ago, of course.
                              Who else still has that inside out Aloha shirt at their parents home?

Comment

R.I.P. Cleo The Hippo

Sad to see the passing of the animal that was responsible for one of the most dramatic and traumatic (for a little kid) moments on "On The Go" when she attacked the KGMB cameraman while trying to protect her young baby.

Cleo the hippo dies at Honolulu Zoo

One of Honolulu Zoo's oldest animals has died.

Cleopatra, known as Cleo, was the second oldest hippopotamus in captivity in the U.S.

A zoo veterinarian put her to sleep on Saturday because she was suffering from growing complications of old age.

The 3,500-pound hippo could no longer stand on her own.

She was just a few weeks shy of her 53rd birthday.

Cleo will be sent to a university lab for research and study.

Comment

Working...
                                X