X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Go Speed Racer Go!

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
    Oh No another remake.

Whatever happened to that magnified idea of starting off new? I guess Hollywood abandoned that a long time ago.
    It's a sign of how much money and resources that Hollywood is pouring into the CGI/SPFX side of the business and conversely, away from writing and creativity.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Sometimes Albert and I watch movies together even though we both have different taste in movies and the reasons why we would watch them.

As we were going to the theater #5 at Ward to see Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay we encounter some movie posters and he suggest seeing those movies when they come out because certain actors are in them, my reaction was "yeah, okay".

Few minutes later as we are sitting down, waiting for the movie to start, he knows that I want to see Speed Racer later on today. He has seen the trailers before and he decided he didn't want to see it but I figure I should try one more shot to entice him to go by saying who was in it. I asked how's about Susan Sarandon, John Goodman or Matthew Fox. However he does not know I was listing the support cast of Speed Racer so when I asked about John Goodman Albert's response was:

Depends on what vehicle he is in
      When I said that all three of them are in the Speed Racer movie he remembered his John Goodman response and added:

He doesn't strike me as a race car driver type
      Which I then said "No, he designs and builds the race car."

We had a good laugh and I asked him later if it was okay to put his John Goodman response to HawaiiThreads to which he said okay.

As far as the movie itself I saw it later on in the afternoon with just a few minutes to spare. Even though it's showing on at least 3, maybe 4 screens at Ward I ended up in one of the smaller ones but it still had room to spare when the movie started.

The feel of the movie is watching real life people in a cartoon backgrounded world. I gave up trying to figure out what time period this movie takes place in.

All of the characters from the cartoon series are here, Speed, Pops, Mom, Spritle, Chim Chim, Trixie, Sparky, Racer X and Inspector Detector with some changes from the series. For instance the Mach 5 was built during the time Rex Racer was still around and Speed was about 10 years old. There is an incident in the movie that causes Rex to leave the family, but he leaves the Mach 5 with Speed and then Rex dies in a cross county race a few years later.

The movie itself is a mixed with racing action, fights, comic relief with Spritle and Chim Chim (which it could do without but I suppose people would complain too if that wasn't in there), villians, evil plans.

If you were a fan of the cartoon series I think you won't be disappointed with this movie and the Mach 5 does run in one of the three races in the movie using some of the gadgets.

Comment

watched it, enjoyed it but i wasn't very impressed. i think my expectations were a bit too high. with the W brothers involved, i was hoping the special effects would knock me up right in the face but it was just an entertaining movie. iron man, for me, was way more entertaining and satisfying.
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Re: Speed Racer

The cartoon never thrilled me as a kid, so I'm not in a rush to see itl. The fact that it came in third behind "IronMan" and "What Happens in Vegas" makes me believe this one failed expectations bigtime.

I'm sure when "Indiana Jones 4" comes out in a few weeks it will shatter some records.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
            Man I remember watching Speed Racer on Checkers and Pogo. I think they play it on Cartoon Network or the Speed Channel once in awhile.
            This question is a crossover for the Checkers and Pogo topic.
            Wasn't there another Japanese animation series on Checkers and Pogo about a girl who was secretly a princess but dressed as a boy because she had swordfighting skills?

Comment

Re: Speed Racer

Saw it this afternoon at Pearlridge with a friend. One thing I can describe about this movie is that it's filming style is sort of like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, only it's in color.

Comment

Working...
              X