Weather updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather updates

We don't seem to have a thread where we can just post occasional weather updates... but we do now. If something strange or unusual is happening in your neighborhood, this is the place.

Right now I'm under mostly blue skies here on Kaneohe Bay, but I've been hearing thunder for the past hour or so. About a mile and half from me, the Ko`olau mountains are covered with thick clouds, and I can see at least two dozen waterfalls. Thick ones, too.
    Sweet!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Weather updates

Saturday night, and daytime Sunday saw heavy rainfall in Kahalu`u. Sunday night we had plenty of thunder and lightning, and the waterfalls coming off the Ko`olaus were as big as I have ever seen them. Our road was flooded in several places, as if a shallow (six to eight inch deep) stream was flowing across the road.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Yeah, Sunday afternoon was when I saw the rain up in your area but zero here, just a mile or so away. Glad you agree about the size of those waterfalls; they were amazing.
      Right now looks exactly like yesterday. Heavy clouds over the Ko`olau, lots of thuinder, and it looks like rain in your area but none here.
      Kinda fun lying in bed last night and seeing all those lightning bolts.

Comment

At the moment, there’s a lot of serious thundering going on in town, but I can’t see any lightning. It might be because the sun is still out ... somewhere. Last night there was a lot of lightning, but no thunder. Maybe tonight it will all come together, along with a heavy dose of rain.

Comment

Woah! HUGE bolt of lightning and clap of thunder in Waikiki. It's also pouring. This, about 15 minutes after I watched canoes paddle toward the ocean down the Ala Wai Canal. Can't be fun out there right now!

Comment

Holy Moley! It's getting serious. I just saw a lighting bolt touch down just below Tantalus!

Comment

This, in downtown Honolulu (water spout or twister?)...and YIKES, that was just one heckuva triple bolt of lightning.
              Attached Files

Comment

It sounded like the island just cracked in half!

Comment

Wow! The rain is now coming down in wave after wave of heavy sheets, illuminated now and then by lightning. Lots of water.

Comment

Yes, waterspout, Tutu. (Two of them, actually, right off Honolulu harbor.) When they touch land they become tornadoes. I saw a couple of waterspouts start to form over here, but they never touched down.
                    Power went off here in Kaneohe at 5:05pm and just came back on about five minutes ago. But only part of Kaneohe is back on.
                    The power outage was a lightning strike hitting the plant at the back of Palolo Valley. Power was out from Kahala to Hawaii Kai and on the windward side from Waimanalo clear up to Kualoa Point (Chinaman's Hat area).
                    Massive thunder and lightning over here but no rain.
                    I'm gonna send this off now in case the power goes back out again.

Comment

Okay, the other part of Kaneohe just came back on.
                      This is like that time the entire island went off, and they could only turn it back on section by section. Must be what they're doing now.

Comment

Lots of thunder and lightning rolled through Ewa Beach area. So much thunder it just became this sort ambient growl that just rolled and rolled and rolled. . .

Looks like it's moved off to the west, but can still hear it growling out there; growling and flickering. Pretty intense storm.

Got a few pics of the waterspout from my phone while riding the bus on H-1. Not as good as the one above though. Strange days.
                        Grab some goggles and answer to nobody.

Comment

I woke up at 1:06am to the absolute loudest thunder I've ever heard. Had to have been at least 150 decibels, I'm sure. Ten times louder than those 'boomer' fireworks, easily. I actually had an earache from it. I'm surprised it didn't blow out all the windows. Must've been a lightning strike within a few hundred yards of here, I suppose.
                          Power went out at least one more time during the night.
                          An occasional thunder this morning, and this afternoon as the land heats up we might have the same weather situations as yesterday.

Comment

Yeah, weather forecast is calling for nuttiness again today. . . I wore the big coat to work. :P
                            Grab some goggles and answer to nobody.

Comment

Lots of distant thunder and lightning and local rain in mauka Kahalu`u last night, but we kept our power overnight.
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                              X