Guardians of the Galaxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guardians of the Galaxy

Saw the movie Guardians of the Galaxy this afternoon at the Ward Theater.

If you never have seen any of the movies from Marvel Studios in the last 7 years that should not be problem here, while there are a few ties to those past movies here it is not that noticeable as far as keeping track of the plot.

The pre-credits scene takes place on Earth in 1988 which shows a pre-teen Peter Quill experiencing the death of his mother due to cancer and then gets taken by extra-terrestrials. Twenty six years later in a different part of the galaxy Peter Quill is trying to get an orb for his boss (the same person who took him from Earth). However other parties (including his boss) also wants the same orb which is the driving theme of this movie.

The movie has a good mix of action, sci-fi, humor with a touch of disaster thrown in. One needs to pay attention in this movie, there are scenes where some of the characters are talking and another character is in the background doing something that was mention during the dialogue. As always stay to the end of the credits there is a scene at the very end.

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
    Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Karen Gillan, John C. Reilly, Glenn Close, Benicio del Toro. Directed by James Gunn.

Peter Quill is an Earthling space pirate. He’s kind of a daring, smart-alecky, play-by-his-own-rules kind of guy, like a poor man’s Han Solo, and when he double-crosses the pirate he works with, a bunch of people with a severe interest in the orb he’s recovered come at him from multiple directions. He finds himself in a space prison, where he joins up with a sexy green assassin, a giant muscular thug, a raccoon-looking bounty hunter, and a tree-like thing named Groot. Although each has a selfish interest at heart, the group cautiously agrees to cooperate for the safety of the galaxy when they realize what the orb can do if it falls into the wrong hands.

It’s a fun, funny movie with creative action sequences, great dialogue, interesting characters, and a cool soundtrack. I enjoyed most of the film and laughed aloud multiple times, appreciating the funny details and silly verbal back-and-forth. There’s even some pretty nice emotional heft in a few places.

Strangely, there’s just not much more to say beyond that. Nothing in the film really asks to be thought much about, and all of the tension exists within the context of the immediate danger characters find themselves in. Unlike the Thor-Loki and Magneto-Xavier relationships, which deal with strained loyalties, or the darkly introspective Wolverine and Hulk characters whose difficult battles are with themselves, the characters here—as likeable as they are—don’t give us a lot to chew on. Guardians of the Galaxy is a really entertaining film that doesn’t stick around much the morning after you’ve seen it.

(small spoiler in this paragraph only)
    I have to say that as much as I appreciate the concept of the infinity stones existing across storylines and bringing the separate series together for group films like The Avengers and Civil War, the stones themselves are becoming extremely tired as a device.

I look forward to the sequel, but I really kind of wish the plan was to keep this as a separate series without crossing into other Marvel series.

7/10 (IMDb rating)
    74/100 (Criticker rating)
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
    X