• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weight Watchers

Originally posted by Ecntrc View Post
    Hey ladies thanks.

Hey now, WW is not just for the ladies...i'm a guy

Glad to see you're changing your eating habits for the better.
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
      I'm sure theres nothing better than a morning bike ride in Hawaii.
      Except maybe a morning bike ride in super-bike-friendly Portland I got into that for my transportation to/from work to a large degree, and it helped me lose about 25 lbs, even with almost no diet changes (and I used to eat pretty bad). Unfortunately I think I did something wrong (over-did it?) and messed up my knees a bit.. I've been trying to get them recovered but in the mean time I've regained about 10 lbs

My wife and I were considering doing WW. The endorsements on here certainly make it sound good.

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
        Except maybe a morning bike ride in super-bike-friendly Portland I got into that for my transportation to/from work to a large degree, and it helped me lose about 25 lbs, even with almost no diet changes (and I used to eat pretty bad). Unfortunately I think I did something wrong (over-did it?) and messed up my knees a bit.. I've been trying to get them recovered but in the mean time I've regained about 10 lbs

My wife and I were considering doing WW. The endorsements on here certainly make it sound good.
        It works....How many miles was your bike ride to work ?

No offense, I'll still take the Hawaii Bike ride over Portland OR Burbank (where I live)

When I was there in December, I took the bikes out and cruised around Kailua a few times. Definitely a nice ride.

Comment

Unfortunately I think I did something wrong (over-did it?) and messed up my knees a bit.. I've been trying to get them recovered but in the mean time I've regained about 10 lbs
          One of the main reasons why you end up with bad knees from bike riding is because your seat isn't adjusted properly (it's probably too low). The best thing to do is take yourself and your bike to a bike shop and have one of the pros adjust it correctly for you. I used to have the same problem when I went to the gym and used the exercise bikes there (both the upright and the recumbent ones). When I got my 18-speed, I had a pro adjust the seat (they put it in a bike stand and have you sit on it to see how much your knees are flexing and then adjust the seat accordingly). Since I hadn't been on a bike since I was a small kid, it felt weird at first riding that high up, but I never have had any problems with my knees on that bike.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Hey now, WW is not just for the ladies...i'm a guy

Glad to see you're changing your eating habits for the better.

ohh ok sorry uncle i nevah know. my bad

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
              One of the main reasons why you end up with bad knees from bike riding is because your seat isn't adjusted properly (it's probably too low).
              Yeah, I've been through all that with some friends who know what they're doing. I think what happened was I overdid it early on and over-developed one set of leg muscles, and now it twists my knee to pedal very hard at all. Well, that and early on I *did* have a badly adjusted bike. I need to go see a doctor about it, and once I figure out what's wrong (and if they OK it) I'm going to go have a bike shop do the full-on adjusting with their fancy tools.

It works....How many miles was your bike ride to work ?
              It's about 5.5 miles each way. My bike odometer reads 1341 right now, since about March '05. I went a little crazy. I didn't go back and forth every day, but because we have a nice light rail here I can take my bike back and forth if I don't feel like going both ways.

No offense, I'll still take the Hawaii Bike ride over Portland OR Burbank (where I live)

When I was there in December, I took the bikes out and cruised around Kailua a few times. Definitely a nice ride.
              Yeah, I bet. I've just heard a lot of horror stories about lack of bike lanes, bad bike paths, drivers running people down, etc... here they have an awesome set of rails-to-trails, multi-use paths, and bike lanes. They even have bike-specific street signs with directions, distance, and estimated biking time to places. Pretty crazy. Some really nice scenery too. I bet Kailua beats it hands-down in December though. Early summer or early fall though... whoo, awesome. I've been meaning to do a couple of longish (~60 miles) trips out here in the Columbia Gorge and places like that. I guess it'll depend if I can work out what's up with my knees though.

Comment

So I took a trip to the gym today because my kid absolutely ran me nuts and Im tiered of sitting in the house.. So I left, I did 10 minutes on the treadmill and I got bored real quick. So I grabbed a jump rope and I figured I could jump rope without my ankles or actually bottom part of my shins hurting. I was wrong. Almost a year ago, may 06 I fell down the stairs at my husbands cousins house and ever since then I cant use those machines that you use with your legs, obviously now I cant jump rope because it starts to hurt. I had a doc look at them and she said theres no blood clots or anything they took xrays but its still bruised and semi numb. My left one is still indented also. Ill have a doc in HI look at them when I get home.

As for the gym issue, Im sorry but Im over it. Ill do my laps MWF, T&T ill probably just stay home at do taebo flex, but i cant wait to get home to start dancing hula again. I danced for 16 years and left b/c I moved to ewa beach, and it was all the way in hawaii kai but once I get home I am making that drive every saturday morning I dont care.. Its always been a passion. And its a great workout.

Any other workouts anyone know of?

yeah WW isnt only for ladies.. for guys too!! I noticed alot of married couples do it together which is fantastic. My husband wont do it with me. But since hes been lifting hes or I have noticed that hes been eating better. Healthier.

Anyways, does anyone attend meetings still? if so where do you attend them?

Comment

When I used to go to the gym during lunch each day at work, I'd take a book and read while doing the recumbent bike for 30 minutes. I've heard since then that it's not very good to tax your brain and also do aerobic workouts, but it sure made the time fly by.

One more thing on the bike subject, this is a great article about bikes and pain. That guy's site in general is pretty awesome, you can tell he's an old school bike nerd.

Comment

the best thing I ever did was hire a personal trainer for a couple of months. It has paid off in spades, in terms of getting me to concentrate on form, muscle groups, journalling, target exercises, compound exercises, critically reviewing my weak areas, and getting that external feedback, which is not unlike weighing in in front of somebody.

There is no boredom when some adrenalized d*c*head is screaming at you to 'gimme three more!' Gyaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaahere'sonnnneeeheeerressughtw oooherresshiiityaaaathrreee!

pax

Comment

I've heard since then that it's not very good to tax your brain and also do aerobic workouts,
                      Uh, why? What happens?

Comment

Does anyone do spinning? I heard it damages the nerves "down there"

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                          the best thing I ever did was hire a personal trainer for a couple of months. It has paid off in spades, in terms of getting me to concentrate on form, muscle groups, journalling, target exercises, compound exercises, critically reviewing my weak areas, and getting that external feedback, which is not unlike weighing in in front of somebody.

There is no boredom when some adrenalized d*c*head is screaming at you to 'gimme three more!' Gyaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaahere'sonnnneeeheeerressughtw oooherresshiiityaaaathrreee!

I too had a personal trainer for a while and it was great. My guy didn't yell, he was just a good guy who knew his stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                            Uh, why? What happens?
                            Honestly I have no idea I was just told that by a friend of mine who was really into training and working out. Might just be urban legend. (Or maybe it explains me, after a number of months of doing it... )

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
                              Does anyone do spinning? I heard it damages the nerves "down there"

It can, as can cycling in general:

http://www.bikepptc.org/saddlesore.html

Ouch.

Comment

I just happen to overhear the Jenny McCarthy commerical about free registration. I visited the Web site and it said it's only at certain locations, so I looked up my zipcode and it said that the local ones around me (Ewa Beach) are doing the free registration thang as well as most of the HI locations I clicked. So, if you decide to attend the meetings, they're waiving the $26 fee (til 2/24) so it's just $14 a meeting.

Comment

Working...
                                X