Singer crashes Obama summit with 'Occupy' song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singer crashes Obama summit with 'Occupy' song

Makana, who goes by one name, was enlisted to play a luau, or Hawaiian feast, Saturday night 11/12/11 for leaders assembled in Obama's birthplace Honolulu for an annual summit that is formulating plans for a Pacific free-trade pact.

But in the midst of the dinner on the resort strip Waikiki Beach, he pulled open his jacket to reveal a T-shirt that read "Occupy with Aloha," using the Hawaiian word whose various meanings include love and peace. He then sang a marathon version of his new song "We Are The Many."
    http://news.yahoo.com/singer-crashes...212243354.html

Video of We are the many http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq3BY...eature=related

Good going Makana!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Re: Singer crashes Obama summit with 'Occupy' song

Also found a video of Makana talking about him singing this song at the APEC Summit dinner last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-M07...feature=relmfu

Comment

It was also a "breaking news video" on cnn.com complete with an interview!

Comment

Interesting.
        The reason nobody in the room heard it was because he was playing very softly. He was supposed to be doing background music, Hawaiian style; it wasn't a concert or a show where people were supposed to focus on him.
        And most of those in the room were facing the other way (round tables) and were in the middle of discussions with the leaders of other countries, so they were talking to each other, not listening to music. Add to that all the translators, who were translating the conversations, not a song they could barely hear in the first place. (And most of those in the room couldn't see the t-shirt, nor understand the language on it.)
        It was a nice try, if not well thought out. Hard to make an impression when nobody can hear you. And the chances of him get invited to play important future events have probably sunk to near zero.
        Still, nice try!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

But he got his 15 minutes of fame out of it and even if no one in the room heard it a lot of other people heard it once he went to the media about it

Comment

It's on the Star-Advertiser's website now at this link.
            Be sure to read the comments that a bunch of readers have posted at the end of the article. He's getting slammed by a lot of locals, sadly.

Comment

Perhaps he should have stuck with the "standards", like Waimanalo Blues or Hawaii '78. Sometimes "head on" isn't the way to go.

Edit: The reason I say that is that usually when you tackle something "head on" you find closed/made-up minds. But if you slide into the issue and speak to the feelings, a song can go where a protester cannot.
              Last edited by GeckoGeek; November 13, 2011, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                He's getting slammed by a lot of locals, sadly.
                They're probably jealous as hell they didn't get to do it.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I think he did it to the best of the situation!
                  Didn't cause a ruckus at the time, though got the message he wished lightly out there and then much louder today.

And the nationwide maybe international exposure... priceless!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                    Didn't cause a ruckus at the time, though got the message he wished lightly out there and then much louder today.
                    So Makana didn't really "crash" the party. Just sorta snuck in his protest song in an inconspicuous manner.

Gee. If people are going to start exaggerating Makana's exploits just a day after the fact, I can only imagine how much more embellished this story will get as the years go by.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

That's from the lead title of the article I found.
                      Correct! He didn't 'CRASH' the party, but did 'HIS' thing.

Comment

Hawaii's own mini-version of Sinead O'Connor?
                        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

There's an interesting shocking amusing message this morning from someone in Seattle on another message group about Hawaiian music. This person claims that President Obama originally wanted Makana to eat dinner with him at the table there and then put on a show for the 18 presidents/prime ministers after dinner.
                          The Seattle poster (using the screen name Iakonu) did not say where he/she heard that one.
                          Hard to imagine that with all those world leaders having dinner with him that he wanted a musician to sit next to him. Also, the performer who put on the show after dinner had been scheduled way in advance. It was the legendary Manu Boyd and his hula halau.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            There's an interesting shocking amusing message this morning from someone in Seattle on another message group about Hawaiian music. This person claims that President Obama originally wanted Makana to eat dinner with him at the table there and then put on a show for the 18 presidents/prime ministers after dinner.
                            The Seattle poster (using the screen name Iakonu) did not say where he/she heard that one.
                            I meant to add that since LeoLakio is in that other group and also is from Seattle, he perhaps knows who Iakonu is. Leo, how about you post a message in that other group and ask Iakonu to identify their source for that rumor, please.
                            Also, in today's Star-Advertiser, Makana told the author that "he realized that the dinner's attendees weren't paying much [any] attention to the lyrics. "They don't really know what happened, and that's the beauty of it," he said."
                            Really? It's beautiful that nobody there knew it happened? So the point of doing it was... what?
                            Anyway, we're looking forward to LeoLakio getting an answer about the source of that rumor. Thanks, Leo!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                              Gee. If people are going to start exaggerating Makana's exploits just a day after the fact, I can only imagine how much more embellished this story will get as the years go by.
                              Typical Frankie: Perceptive, to-the-point, and... accurate.
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                              X