Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

Do they exist in Hawaii?

I recall reading or hearing once that they don't exist in Hawaii.. but.. hmm.. whats that all about? (Gotta be myth!)

Re: Snakes & Mosquitos in Hawaii?

Simple answer: mosquitos yes, snakes no, unless they hitchhike on a plane from Guam or are smuggled in by idjits on the Mainland who should know better.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Except for those little blind burrowing snakes -- the ones that look like earthworms until they open their mouths! They probably got brought in in the soil around some potted plants. Saw a few at UH when the gardeners were working. Weird little guys.

Edit: Here's a photo of one of those blind snakes.
      Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; August 9, 2005, 09:46 AM.

Comment

No question whatever about mosquitos! Plenty of them. I don't know why they couldn't just drink my blood without leaving itchy poison afterwards.

Comment

and another question about mosquitos.. where do they usually bite?

in brazil.. they almost always bite on the toes or fingers and nowhere else.. in the philippines its almost always on the legs and arms. In the mainland, just about anywhere.. they are so mixed there like the people, huh?

Here in Seoul.. I often get bit right on the face.. often while sleeping! grrr!!

how about in Hawaii.. where often do you usually get your mosquito bites??

Comment

Ankles. Neatly turned-out thin-skinned ankles. I have seven cans of OFF around the house, and I still forget to use the stuff to keep the no-see-ums away.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Personally I have yet to meet a mosquito with a discerning palate. As long as they find uncovered skin they see a buffet.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                Personally I have yet to meet a mosquito with a discerning palate. As long as they find uncovered skin they see a buffet.
                I have to disagree with you tutu -

I can go to my wifes farm and come back with 20 welts.
                My wife and I can walk holding hands and she doesn't get bit nearly as much as me.

None of her other family members get bit nearly as much as me when they go up there.

Comment

Mosquito repellants -

1. I've heard eating lots of garlic products makes your body odor not as appealing to them.
                  2. Citranella Candles and Citranella plants if you have access to them
                  3. Mosquito punks (the coils)
                  4. Mosquito Tents
                  5. Bug Sprays such as "Off"
                  6. Avon "Skin so Soft"
                  7. Keeping puddles of water from accumulating around your properties.

Anyone else have any others?

I don't get bit nearly as much on Oahu as I do on the Big Island!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                    Mosquito repellants -

1. I've heard eating lots of garlic products makes your body odor not as appealing to them.
                    2. Citranella Candles and Citranella plants if you have access to them
                    3. Mosquito punks (the coils)
                    4. Mosquito Tents
                    5. Bug Sprays such as "Off"
                    6. Avon "Skin so Soft"
                    7. Keeping puddles of water from accumulating around your properties.

Anyone else have any others?

I don't get bit nearly as much on Oahu as I do on the Big Island!
                    I eat plenty of garlic. No help there.
                    Avon Skin so Soft don't do squat.
                    Extra strength Off works good.
                    Surprisingly, those little personal electronic skeeter thingies work. If I forget my Off, I turn one of these things on.

My wife and daughter seldom get bit while I get blitzed. Mostly around my legs, but I guess they run out of biting room and get me on my arms and sometimes the face. My wife likes to smack the ones on my face and forehead.

After my encouter with "Black Knights", while camping at Hovenweep Nat'l Monument in CO, skeeter bites can't compare. Black Knights, as they were called by our host, are biting gnats that hover in thick clouds. They attack any exposed skin. Some feel them right away, others like me start seeing welts a couple days later. Almost every square inch from my knees down to my ankles had a welt and itched relentlessly for almost a week.

Comment

No snakes, unless you consider earthworms. Totally harmless worms.

As for mosquitos, still trying to figure out a way of getting rid of them. If I got $1 for every mosquito bite that I got, I would be a very wealthy dude!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
                        As for mosquitos, still trying to figure out a way of getting rid of them. If I got $1 for every mosquito bite that I got, I would be a very wealthy dude!!!
                        You can only do your part in your own yard and hope the neighbors have the same consideration. If you got the bucks, there is a contraption that attracts and kills skeeters. It uses propane and produces carbon dioxide, which is what the skeeters are attracted to. It draws them into a recepticle then zaps them. Just set it up in your backyard, set it and forget it. Oh, it'll set you back at least a couple hundred bucks, but is reported to work very well.

Comment

Thanks for reporting on that mosquito trap. Considering really getting that thing since we have about 11K+ of brush. Brush means trees and trees mean mosquitos. Ya, we can get rid of the brush, but it's the entire back coastline of all of our neighbors!!!

Comment

Hawaii does have snakes.
                            ...Only one snake lives on land in Hawaii, the tiny Brahminy blind snake, which looks like a worm. Yellow-bellied sea snakes, about 3 feet long, are sometimes found in Hawaii waters, but only rarely.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/10/14/news/story12.html

Yellow Bellied Sea Snakes.... Scary! I wonder how many of us have seen one of these... only to mistake it for an eel?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale View Post
                              Some guys in Florida have come up with a cheap mosquito-control solution -- the Skeeter Bag. You attach a net to a regular box fan, and just keep it running all the time. Mosquitoes get sucked in, are trapped in the net, and die. Easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X