X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Superferry

Originally posted by Aaron S
    I guess you haven't been to a major airport and saw the USDA Beagle Brigade
    [Probably with DHS now]. They use dogs to sniff out fruit and other prohibited
    agriculture items.
    Whenever I visit Hawaii (and that's twice a year) I never fly through HNL if I can possibly help it; I always try to fly direct to Maui. I've never seen the beagles at OGG, although I'm sure they're hard at work in the baggage handling areas.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

On our ferries, they only use the dogs, and people are allowed to sit in their cars if they like. The BC (Canada) car ferries will not allow people to sit in their cars; once they're loaded on the ship, you have to stay on the top deck until you get to the other side.
      The Hawaii Superferry will be like the one in Canada where all the passengers must be on the top 2 decks after boarding alone or with their vehicle. The vehicles will be stored on the bottom 2 decks. The Hawaii Superferry will be slightly bigger than the Spirit of Ontario ferry that passed through Hawaii in March. It will however be very similar in design and configuration.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
        The Hawaii Superferry will be like the one in Canada where all the passengers must be on the top 2 decks after boarding alone or with their vehicle. The vehicles will be stored on the bottom 2 decks. The Hawaii Superferry will be slightly bigger than the Spirit of Ontario ferry that passed through Hawaii in March. It will however be very similar in design and configuration.
        I was on Maui when the SuperFerry made a port of call in Kahului earlier this year. Unfortunately, because the harbor is so crammed for space right now and security issues, I only could see it from the Maui Mall (sort of) and the Beach Road. I guess they are having to add additional piers in Kahului Harbor to accommodate both the SuperFerry and the new cruise ships over the next couple of years.

I've ridden on the BC Ferry from Prince George, BC to the Queen Charlotte Islands (an 8-hour trip), and I really like those ferries. Their noses open up, so you just drive your car on board, they secure it and you go upstairs. Upstairs, you can either rent a cabin or sprawl out on the seats.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I've had the opportunity to tour the Superferry when it docked in Honolulu. I've also been on the ferries on Pugeot Sound in Washington back in the early 80's. The Superferry is way more advanced than those I rode in Seattle, however there was about 20 years spanning both visits so I'm sure the Seattle ferries are as up to date by now.

One thing's for sure, don't compare the Superferry with Seaflight. I can see myself on a 4-hour ride on the Superferry and I'm one to get sea sick easily.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            Whenever I visit Hawaii (and that's twice a year) I never fly through HNL if I can possibly help it; I always try to fly direct to Maui. I've never seen the beagles at OGG, although I'm sure they're hard at work in the baggage handling areas.
            I know for a fact Honolulu has a USDA [Part of DHS/CBP now] beagle brigade. Since Maui has not as many international arrivals they don't use dogs on Maui
            to sniff out fruit etc as far as I know. I have also seen US Customs
            [Now US CBP] use dogs to look for illegal contraband also.
            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Hawaii Super Ferry

http://www.kauaiworld.com/articles/2...ness/bus01.txt
              The Kona Blog

Comment

From the article Aaron linked:
                It was as if the Superferry were already a done deal, and the only thing remaining were mundane details. But as Garibaldi and Dick admitted, the Superferry isn't a done deal yet. "We've raised $3.3 million in equity capitol," Garibaldi said. They expect to raise another $55 million and already have some 50 companies and individuals investing in the project. With a conservative cost estimate of $152 million for the two ships alone, financing for the Superferry is still a long way off, though Garibaldi insists that there is plenty of money waiting in the wings as the idea for the Superferry builds a head of emotional - and promotional - steam throughout the islands.
                Some helpful background details like the above in this piece. I, too, have been functioning under the false impression that the bills are all paid and that the only thing we're waiting for are the ships themselves. They've got a long way to go.

But, as the article also conveyed, there's no shortage of enthusiasm for this project. Here's hoping consumer interest is strong enough to encourage more folks with deep pockets, like Steve Case, to buy in.

Comment

As long as this is privately financed all the way, it is a good idea.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

As far as I understood the harbor improvements will be paid by the state/federal
                    government. With the cost being paid back through wharfage fees.
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

The harbor improvements by the state have long been in the State DOT master plan. I have no problem with that.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=1946
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

From the article, "Super Ferry will require upgraded harbors":
                          The state will have to invest in some major harbor improvements to get ready for the Hawaii Super Ferry, and state Transportation Director Rodney Haraga is wondering how much he’ll have to spend. If harbor improvements are underfunded, the Super Ferry company could decide to leave Hawaii for a market with better facilities, he said.
                          I wonder if the possibility that the Super Ferry could give up on us is one expressed or at least acknowledged by the company, or just a thought thrown in to add weight to the debate over the harbor improvements? I doubt the Super Ferry investors would want to plant doubts like that when they're still trying to get a firm foothold here.

I'm reminded of the Pacific Business News article on the "harbor crunch." Harbor infrastructure and capacity is a bigger problem than just for ferries, or just for cruise ships. I don't think there should be much hesitation in biting the bullet and investing in upgrading across the board.

Comment

I think its a great idea and I have no problems if my taxes are raised to support this or whatever mode of rapid transit the city has a plan for and that they will stick with.

Considering I will use these modes of travel it even gives me more incentive to not only support it but also pay for it thru my taxes or whatever means.

However, I was not pleased with the city raising the vehicle registration fees so they could help finance the raises for the HPD. While I support HPD getting whatever raise they can get, I question why considering the amount of police officers there are versus amount of people owning vehicles on this island as to where all the extra money went and will go in future years unless it goes to their retirement. I'm not sure.

Makiki Boy

Comment

During a public hearing last night, the people of Maui expressed concerns about the expansion of Kahului Harbor in order to accomodate the ferry plus additional cruise ships, not to mention the canoe clubs that use Kahului Harbor for races and practices. Heehee, looks like people are finally beginning to realize that maybe the additional income that would be generated by the Superferry and additional cruise ships isn't worth losing what they have today...a place that's nearby where they can safely launch their small boats, canoes, go fishing and surfing. I'm sure this isn't the end of it.

http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=3380

Miulang

Comment

After reading about some of the objections to the Superferry, I'm conflicted.

On the one hand, we sorely need a better interisland transport system. Flying between islands really doesn't make sense given the relatively short distances involved.

But on the other hand, it sounds like there are legitimate worries about environmental issues like hitting baby whales while going at high speeds (don't laugh, it's a serious concern) and spreading invasive species (wanna see mongoose on Kaua'i?).

Comment

Working...
                                X