Hawaii's Puerto Rican Cuisine Scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii's Puerto Rican Cuisine Scene

Upon running an HT search, this Pasteles and Gandule Rice, along with, "Anybody know whea get quality pasteles for sale??" thread came up.

We need to update this, along with including more than just Gandule Rice and Pasteles.

In that thread, Glen mentioned The Pastele Shop on the corner of Gulick and School Street. Been there recently, and done that...

The Pastele Shop - Pastele Plate, including Bacalao Salad, $8.50

New in Ewa Beach on Ft. Weaver Rd. is "Taste of Puerto Rico"...

From there is this interesting twist of an empanada called an Alcapurrias...

Someone mentioned Jackie's Diner in Waimalu Shopping Center. Anyone been there recently? How's it?

Another interesting dish I'd like to try is Ensalada De Pulpo.. basically a marinated Octopus Salad. I'm game for that!

What other more unusual Puerto Rican dishes do you enjoy that you recommend we try?

Love the stuff.

Viva Puerto Rico!
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Mmmm, deep fried pastele!

Anybody ever had pastele stew?
    I've heard about it, seen it (not exactly enticing), got a recipe for it, but never tried it yet.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: Pasteles' Altered Egos

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
      Anybody ever had pastele stew?
      I've heard about it, seen it (not exactly enticing), got a recipe for it, but never tried it yet.
      I haven't tried it either, but most of of the shops that sell Pasteles shops also sell the stew, including those places I mentioned.

Here's a Pastele Stew recipe.

There's also a Pastele Sausage....

What's interesting about this bad boy is that it really tastes like a Pastele, including the use of bananas in the sausage mixture. Wild.

Anyone got choke Ti Leaves in your yard? The Pastele Shop will buy them from you at 7 cents each. I guess Ti Leaves work just as well as Banana leaves (perhaps better) for making them.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Hawaii's Puerto Rican Cuisine Scene

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
        Someone mentioned Jackie's Diner in Waimalu Shopping Center. Anyone been there recently? How's it?
        eric and i went there sometime last year. i could have sworn i did a "what's for lunch" on it but couldn't find it...so maybe i didn't. anyway, we had their tripe stew, pateles, and bacalau salad. the salad was mostly iceberg and scant with the bacalau. tripe stew was ono as was the pastele (we chose spicy) but we felt that for the price the servings were a tad small. i think the pastele was maybe 2" x 4" x 1/2" or so.

story from advertiser from last year that inspired us to go is here.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Re: Mmmm, deep fried pastele!

oh yes i have tried pastele stew just minus the masa, how yummy you can just eat that with plain rice ono..ono...ono..

Comment

Re: Mmmm, deep fried pastele!

how weird. i was just talking to a friend of mine who learned to make the pastele stew and gandule rice about a week ago. mmm.

i like jackie's, but cyn is right. mostly lettuce in the bacalau salad.
            "chaos reigns within.
            reflect, repent and reboot.
            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Hello everyone again its been years since i've visisted and just re-looking at old posts i had to comment.

the one thing i notice about the recipes for pasteles stews and what not, is the SOFRITO that everyone is missing. Without this it just doesnt taste like the REAL authentic puerto rican food this is a must have. If any of you want the recipe let me know.

Comment

Im a huge fan of stew and soups, and I think I would love a great bowl of pastele stew, I have only tried it once and this was from the outdoor set up every other week at Davies Pacific building, there was a stand there about a year ago and technically it was good, but I found the meat to be on the tough side. Not a fan of chewing my meat, but I think it would have been excellent had it been falling off the bone tender..
                n'importe

Comment

Working...
                X