Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody going to see Makaha Sons on 9/22?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody going to see Makaha Sons on 9/22?

Aloha! How many of you are going to this show? I'm pretty sure my 'ohana and I are going, and I'm so excited about it! It should be a lifetime treasure for me.

'Alika
    'Alika

Re: Anybody going to see Makaha Sons on 9/22?

Looks like nobody else from this board is. Well then, let me tell you about it. They'll be playing in Exiter, NH, about a half hour or so away from my house in Maine, on 9/22/07. Hoku Zuttermeister will also be there, along with Andy Wang, a slack key player in New York who owns taropatch.net. I post on there frequently, so I'm very excited about meeting Andy. He said the same thing about me. I also hope that I can ask Hoku if I can sing "'Alika" with him. 'A'ole pilikia, I feel ready to do it now. I know the story and everything and will tell my audience about it before I sing it. I may even translate each line of the song after I sing it in Hawaiian. Also, at the end of the concert, I hope to ask all the performers if we can all sing "Hawai'i Aloha" and have the audience sing along. Wish me luck!

A hui hou,
    'Alika
    'Alika

Comment

Originally posted by akrauth View Post
      Looks like nobody else from this board is.
      No comments from us here in Hawai`i nei, as we can see the Sons all over the place and usually for free. Just another reason for "Lucky we live Hawai`i."
      But enjoy the show!

I also hope that I can ask Hoku if I can sing "'Alika" with him. 'A'ole pilikia, I feel ready to do it now. I know the story and everything and will tell my audience about it before I sing it.
      Respectfully, it would probably be best to let Hoku himself tell the story, in order to ensure cultural integrity and correctness. Just a humble suggestion.

Also, at the end of the concert, I hope to ask all the performers if we can all sing "Hawai'i Aloha" and have the audience sing along.
      Um, they always do that. Good thinking, though.
      Again, enjoy the show!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I also hope that I can ask Hoku if I can sing "'Alika" with him. 'A'ole pilikia, I feel ready to do it now. I know the story and everything and will tell my audience about it before I sing it. I may even translate each line of the song after I sing it in Hawaiian.
        Aloha, `Alika.

If you can be in touch with Hoku before the show, ask if you could practice it with him prior to the concert, so he can hear how your voice would work with his. You could ask about the translation and presentation of the song - but remember to let him (and the Makaha Sons) make the decisions as to what you should do and not do. It's their show, after all - and remember that Hoku is their guest artist, and may not be in a position to ask for your inclusion.

Please don't be hurt if they feel they have to say no; but of course, it will be a very sweet moment for you if they say yes, and we'll be ready to give you electronic cheers from many miles away. You're very lucky that they are touring near you; any time we get Hawaiian artists coming to share with us on the continent, it's a blessing.

Comment

Aloha nui kakou,

Mahalo nui loa to all of you for all the suggestions and advice you have written to me. If I hadn't written that follow-up message, I don't think I would have ever gotten those replies. So, mahalo once again. I just wanted to say that I had already taken Leo's post into consideration, meaning that I did think about the fact that anything can happen when I'm there. Thus, my feelings won't be hurt if I can't ask about either of the songs. I also realized that this may not be the same as a concert in Hawai'i Nei because there's a time limit, I think. Also, we're here on the mainland, not in the islands, and so it might not be as laid-back as some of the entertainment I have sung at when I've been over there. That's fine with me. We'll just have to wait and see! I'll tell you what happens.

Aloha a hui hou,
          'Alika
          'Alika

Comment

I just wanted to say that I had already taken Leo's post into consideration
            That doesn't surprise me, `Alika - I know you do your research well. I hope you have a fantastic time, no matter what.

Comment

I know I will. I'm sure all the performers will be fantastic.

'Alika
              'Alika

Comment

I also hope that I can ask Hoku if I can sing "'Alika" with him. 'A'ole pilikia, I feel ready to do it now. I know the story and everything and will tell my audience about it before I sing it. I may even translate each line of the song after I sing it in Hawaiian. Also, at the end of the concert, I hope to ask all the performers if we can all sing "Hawai'i Aloha" and have the audience sing along. Wish me luck!

A hui hou,
                'Alika
                sweetie, am I understanding you correctly? You want to ask to sing "ʻAlika" on stage during the concert? And then request how to close the show?

Please do not do this. To do so is mahaʻoi and offensive and puts them in the position of having to hōʻole you, which is not fair to do to them. You have to think of their needs, honey. They have a job to do, yes though they love their job, it is nevertheless a job. Enjoy the ʻaha mele for what it is and do not attempt to alter it.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                  sweetie, am I understanding you correctly? You want to ask to sing "ʻAlika" on stage during the concert? And then request how to close the show?

Please do not do this. To do so is mahaʻoi and offensive and puts them in the position of having to hōʻole you, which is not fair to do to them. You have to think of their needs, honey. They have a job to do, yes though they love their job, it is nevertheless a job. Enjoy the ʻaha mele for what it is and do not attempt to alter it.
                  Hey akrauth... listen to PM. In this case, she knows what she's talking about.

I was going to say the same thing, but wouldn't have been as polite, then some donkey would have made a stupid comment... and then the thread wouldn't be about you and the concert.

So yeah. Listen to PM's advice.

Comment

Aloha e, `Alika,
                    Just wanted to say that I'll be at the concert . I live in Kingston, NH, about 45 minutes from York, and about 20 min. from Stratham, where the concert will be held.
                    I am a member of Hui Na Kawaiuaili; there are eight of us, from Maine and New Hampshire, dancing in the show.I am very busy right now making all the holomus we'll wear, and we're all practicing our okoles off. We are so honored and excited to be doing this!
                    I would love to meet you after the show; I'll be the blondest dancer you'll see on stage~ the only kama`aina is our kumu, Leimomi Hoover!
                    If you like, you can email me at hyetti@juno.com...the address I use the most.
                    A Hui Hou,
                    Aunty Nane

Comment

OOps...
                      here's the address written correctly:
                      hyetti@juno.com
                      K den...

Comment

Hui, I'll also be attending.....to watch NH_Hula_Aunty dance! I leave for Oahu next week but will be back in time for the NH concert. Looking forward to watching this concert.
                        Lovena

Comment

I forgot to put this in my previous post....

I'd like to meet up with you as well so email me. To email me just click on my username at the top left-hand corner of this message, scroll down to "Send Email" to get my email addy.
                          Lovena

Comment

Why not? I do not plan on stealing the show for any means. I just thought that this may be something I'd be able to do because I know that in Hawai'i Nei, anyone who can sing or dance is welcome to show off their skills most of the time. What I didn't think about originally was that there's a time limit and it's at a different venue than some of the ones I've been able to sing at when I've visited the mokupuni. If you do not think I should even ask, then I won't. Did you get the point that what I'm hoping to do is ask if I can even do it, not just go up there and start belting the song out? Hope you don't mind me asking that.

On a different note, NH Hula Auntie and East Coast Tropics, I will e-mail you very shortly.

Aloha,
                            'Alika
                            'Alika

Comment

Maybe the answer, `Alika, is if you just ask if you can sing with or for Hoku backstage, sometime before or after the show. Don't bring up the suggestion of coming onstage at all. If he feels it's appropriate, then he may offer. If it's not appropriate, then you haven't put him in an awkward position - and that's what's important here.

Comment

Working...
                              X