Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fast Food Memories

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
    Ditto, TutuSue.... first ever fast food I had, Grandpa sprung for the 15 cent Mickey D's.... 10 cent Coke, but no fries for me... he was kinda frugal.[...]
    Ah, but even those prices, while very affordable, were still indictive of people's incomes and the overall economy at that time! My very first trip to the supermarket as a married lady netted 6 big bags full of groceries, including all the staples I needed for my first kitchen, for...$18.00! The supermarket was directly across the street from McDonalds and the 15¢ hamburger sign! Those were the good ol' days!

Comment

I DO remember the name "Frings".

The McDLT was an interesting idea, but an environmentally wasteful one, as mentioned.

I hate it when fast food places come out with something "for a limited time only", especially if it's really good.

BTW..The McRib makes an appearance once a year...every year.

Pretty nasty indeed.

One fast food chain memory - well SORTA fast food - Bagel Nosh.
      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I actually do remember "Frings" at JITB...but this was when I was living in Arizona way back when....Jack in the Box also use to have these Pizza Pockets(Pirogi's?) as well, kind of a copycat for Hot Pockets.

I also use to remember when Hawaii use to have El Pollo Loco(late 80's/early 90's), the KFC at Windward City was one of them. I guess marinated chicken with mexican seasoning wasn't popular here. They still exist in LA and the southwest today.

BTW, the McRib at McDonalds are the best fast food sandwich ever! Can't wait for thier yearly return.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          You know, now that I think about it, I don't think Kaneohe even had a Jack in the Box in 1979. Back then, IIRC, we only had McDonald's and Burger King.

Also, IIRC, the next mega-chain burger joint to arrive in Kaneohe before JITB was Wendy's. This is in Kaneohe Shopping Center where Time's Supermarket is still located. Then Wendy's left town and Jack in the Box took their spot there, but I can't remember exactly what year that was. Any "Kaneohe'ians" out there remembah?
          Damn these threads. Makes my head hurt. IIRC, Wendy's built the building that is at the Kaneohe Shopping Center. Today it's a realty office(?). I thought that after Wendy's left, it became an all-you-can-eat yakiniku place. Then Crabbies, then the realty office.

The current Jack in the Box restaurant was a Goodwill store at one time. I remember that it had the cheapest soda machine that we could find on our way home from school back in 1977. Before that it was an IGA supermarket.

Best food from that era? Hands down... Tasty Treat hamburgers. They made their own thousand island type of dressing for the hamburgers. OMG! So ono!

Comment

Jack in the Box took over Wendy's in that stand-alone building in Kaneohe Shopping Center back in the mid-80's I'd say. I think it was in the 90's that they moved out and built their own stand-alone restaurant at a more visible street-side location along Kamehameha highway.

As for Goodwill, IIRC, they took over where (drum roll please) Cornets was! in the main part of that strip mall. Cornets had the space along the street where it eventually became a Fun Factory (or one of those types). Kress was further in, nearer to where Times Supermarket currently is.

Hey, what else do you remember about Tasty Treat? IIRC, their logo was comprised of a soft-serve ice cream cone. Or was that a big prop they had out front. Tasty Treat was also in its own stand-alone building fronting Mui Kwai, where eventually it became L&L Drive Inn. Now it's some other greasy-spoon drive in with an acronym name.
            Originally posted by bueller555 View Post
            Damn these threads. Makes my head hurt. IIRC, Wendy's built the building that is at the Kaneohe Shopping Center. Today it's a realty office(?). I thought that after Wendy's left, it became an all-you-can-eat yakiniku place. Then Crabbies, then the realty office.

The current Jack in the Box restaurant was a Goodwill store at one time. I remember that it had the cheapest soda machine that we could find on our way home from school back in 1977. Before that it was an IGA supermarket.

Best food from that era? Hands down... Tasty Treat hamburgers. They made their own thousand island type of dressing for the hamburgers. OMG! So ono!
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Yes, the Pizza Pockets! Best eatin while drivin' food ever.
              Burl Burlingame
              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

OK then, much more recent than that, did any of you get to try Taco Bell's Kalua Pork Soft Taco ($1.89), Grilled Stuft Burrito ($3.79) or Quesadilla ($2.99?...

I did. FWIW, it was pretty darned good! These three items were available for a limited time around March 2008.
                I tried the kalua pork soft taco and thought it was a winner! I wanted to try the other kalua pork items, but by the time I went back to Taco Bell they were no longer on the menu. If they bring them back, I'll be buying.
                The worst thing McD's tried to do though was make a "plate lunch" out of the same patties they use for their sandwiches. lol Remember that?
                Wow, I think you awakened a deep slumbering memory from the depths of my brain. I have a foggy recollection of eating something from McDonald's that was served on one of their rectangle trays (like their spam and egg breakfasts come on)- it was topped with some rice, two geometric shaped hamburger patties, brown gravy with some lumps of grilled onions. Was that like 10-15 yrs ago? I remember thinking it was alright, but never ordered it again.

My fast food product memories: Jack in the Box used to have "The Supreme Saimin", which used better quality ingredients than their competition: better noddles, more green onions, thicker fishcake, char siu, and two succulent peices of won-ton in a better tasting broth than their competition.

Jack also had a "Ham and Turkey Melt" for a limited time which I haven't forgotten.

Comment

Carnival eats such as Flyin' Saucer which was toasted bread squashed with a Sloppy Joe filling, and Bar-B-Que meat on a stick.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    were still indictive of people's incomes and the overall economy at that time! My very first trip to the supermarket as a married lady netted 6 big bags full of groceries, including all the staples I needed for my first kitchen, for...$18.00!
                    Is that something all married women can remember? As I was growing up and the subject of inflation and groceries would come up, my mother would tell what it was like when she got married, and she could recite exactly how many bags of groceries she bought and how much it cost. (i guess i wasn't listening because i can't remember the exact numbers, something like 12 bags for $30)

Even today when I visit her, if the topic comes up, she will remind me that when she got married she could buy X bags of groceries for X amount of dollars, but today it costs X + 200

Comment

Hey, what else do you remember about Tasty Treat? IIRC, their logo was comprised of a soft-serve ice cream cone.
                      The sign out front sounds right. I was into hamburgers at the time and sometimes their teribeef sandwich and my dad used to order their Chop Steak Hawaiian. Their old style malts were good too. Tasty Treat is the one place that I truly miss.

Comment

I remenber Tasty Treat.
                        Friends family owned it. He used to cook in the window after school. They had the best chop steak on the island.
                        Kaneohe also had a Flakey Jake's, Skippers, Flamingo's, Knight's Inn, Dairy Queen, Shakey's, Magoo's Pizza, Perry Boy's, a Japanese, all you can eat, place that got eaten out of business, Popeyes, El Polo Loco. Bunch of others I can't remember right now.
                        One of my favorites was Windy's.
                        Anyone remember MOS burger???? I never ate there.
                        Best Pizza was Godfathers Pizza.

Comment

I remember Frings. It was just a bag/carton of fries and onion rings mixed together. Not the most innovative offering in the world. But the fact that it was actually touted on Jack-In-The-Box commercials for awhile was probably an indication of a restaurant chain that was desperately in need of fresh marketing ideas at the time.

How many people remember Dinner In A Box? It was just a bigger, fancier sandwich in a box instead of a wrapper. That series of menu items was offered once, but never came back.

I don't anticipate the McD.L.T. ever coming back. The double-sized styrafoam container would be bad P.R. in this day and age of environmental awareness.

Speaking of McDonald's,..... it took a long time for the Hawaii restaurants to get approval from the corporate HQ to allow them to sell locally popular items. Saimin was a success. But plate lunches weren't.

Does anyone remember McDonald's 1976 Olympic stopwatch challenge. You placed your order on the counter, then you pressed the start button on a stopwatch and the clerk had 60 seconds to get your order ready?
                          Last edited by Frankie's Market; February 3, 2009, 12:56 PM.
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Anyone remember Scotty's, Chunky's, Burger Land, Andy's in Kailua?????
                            I miss those places and the food.
                            Anyone know of a drive-in still around like these old places?????

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                              Does anyone remember McDonald's 1976 Olympic stopwatch challenge. You placed your order on the counter, then you pressed the start button on a stopwatch and the clerk had 60 seconds to get your order ready?
                              Oh, yes. The McD's I go to now would loose that race every time. It seems like somewhere along the line they went from having a "stock" of sandwiches ready-to-go to "made to order". Fast Food has been slower ever since. Or maybe it's just because I stop in at odd hours to avoid the rush.

I tried to see if I could find a stopwatch challenge commercial. No luck, but I did find a McDLT

Comment

I remember that stop watch thing. Didn't go to good for them. I remember them all bumping into each other behind the counter.

Anyone remember the burger palce on University Ave.???? They had the beer steamed hotdogs and fries with Old Bay on it.

What about Godfathers Pizza???? I always thought they had the best pizza in Hawaii.

Can someone suggest an alternative to Flamingo's on Kapiolani???? Someplace within walking distance of the NBC. Same good food. Hold a bunch of people. Reasonable prices.

Comment

Working...
                                X