Apple Announcements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Announcements

Well, the much-anticipated WWDC kicked off today, with most of the attention focused on good ol' Steve Jobs' keynote address.

Main product announcement? The Mac Pro (no, not a Macpro), the replacement to the G5 tower. A dual dual-core (Quad Core), 64-bit, 3GHz machine that's now Apple's top-of-the-line, and that now marks the completion of Apple's conversion to Intel processors.

Also covered, the upcoming Leopard release of OSX (multiple desktops via Spaces), Time Machine (backup utility), upgrades to Mail, iCal, iChat (including some fun green/bluescreen-like live video effects that don't require a green/bluescreen at all), Spotlight...

Well, no full-screen iPod, no iPhone, nor many of the other common predictions... but things are clearly going well for Apple.

Re: Apple Announcements

But the stock price went down right after Jobs started talking.

Comment

Well, I'm an Apple customer and fan, not a stockholder. Besides. Things are bound to be wobbly up or down right around a major Apple conference. Folks who were expecting the iPhone are probably bummed, but those just requiring a consistent and quality product line and ongoing innovation are pretty happy.

I'm impressed that for the simpler configurations, the Mac Pro comes in under $2,500. Compared to reasonably appointed but high-end PC towers, that's downright competitive... even without all the media creation and other advantages a Mac comes with.

Comment

People still buy Macs? Veddy Interesting?
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

A few folks, yes. Though I'm sure the crowds in the Apple Store are just as much there for the free chili and rice than for the merchandise.

And, seriously, not everyone buying Macs are longstanding cult members who've gotten addicted to the Kool-Aid. Fifty percent of Mac purchases these days are to people new to the platform. And while that's still bupkis and a half versus bupkis to some folks... it's pretty damn good for this particular "niche" company.

Comment

Long time PC and Linux user, now an (almost) full time Mac user here (Linux server at home, and Windows PCs at work). After a while you get tired of putting up with BS from your computer and it's a joyful bit of relaxation when it more or less just works. Yeah, there are exceptions to that, but the things really are nice. And they are reasonably priced for what they are too (not just Macs, compare "apples to apples" vs Dell or something, and see what I mean).

I'd rather watch a Jobs keynote any day vs MS too. "One more thing" and some righteously deserved digs at MS' attitude, or "developers developers developers developers!!"

Anyone watching their electric bill would do well to take a look at them too -- they are some of the quietest, least power hungry computers you can get right now for the CPU power.

Comment

After having bought and maintained 9 PCs over the last 20 years, I finally got fed up and bought a Mac this time. Damn, they're expensive. But they sure do come loaded with cool stuff. And they really do just work. I had been hassling for months with getting my cell phone to talk to my PC, but the Mac made a Bluetooth connection easily, the first time, with no extra software needed. Whee!

Now if I could just get it to run my Windows programs, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
                That's what Boot Camp, Parallels, and the forthcoming CrossOver Mac are for! I know those options were one safety net that a few recent switchers have kept in mind for comfort... but all the ones I know so far find they don't need Windows anymore at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
                  If you bought the newest Macs with an Intel processor, all you need is either Boot Camp or Parallels Desktop and of course a copy of Windows XP. Install all of this on your Intel Mac, and you can probably run most of your Windows programs.

While I don't own a Mac Intel yet, I hear that the Parallels is the better of the 2 currently available Windows solutions to run on Mac.

After seeing the new Mac Pro introduced at yesterday's conference, I surely would love to have one.

Addendum: Looks like I got caught in a simultaneous posting trap. Probably typed too slow.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

After spending all that dough on a Mac, I am reluctant to drop another couple hundred for a full copy of Windows to install and run under Boot Camp or Parallels. Crossover Mac is supposed to run Windows programs without needing Windows itself, so I'm waiting for that -- or even better, for its free cousin, Darwine.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
                      But the stock price went down right after Jobs started talking.

Figures...everytime Apple comes out with the "New and Improved" model of anything they drop the price leaving the initial buyers with empty wallets and a less powerful machine.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                        Still ? New apple stores opening all the time. If you do any sort of Post Production professionally, be it music or video, chances are you're working on a Mac. You'll rarely see them in, say, a real estate or insurance office.
                        That being said, both platforms are becoming more similar every day.

I've always been an apple user, but it's really down to what you learned on.

Also, Those PC's get those nasty viruses...almost none on a MAC :-)
                        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                          Figures...everytime Apple comes out with the "New and Improved" model of anything they drop the price leaving the initial buyers with empty wallets and a less powerful machine.
                          Yeah, damn them! That never happens in any other industry with any other product!

I hear you on paying for Windows, Eric. Considering that a distaste for Windows would be one of the more common reasons for buying a Mac, it seems a bit ridiculous to shell out money for that operating system. But for those who have PC-only apps (particularly those that WINE derivatives won't support), or have to do cross-platform testing, dual-boot and virtualization are pretty darn good options. And options that only exist on the Mac side of the fence.

A friend of mine has a MacBook running OSX, pre-release Vista, and Ubuntu. A triple-boot system!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                            I know, I just bought an iMac yesterday and I'm waiting for them to announce next week that a new merom/conroe based one is to be released at the same price, or something. I'll bring out my KHAAAN!! at that time.

The way I try to look at it, if you were content to pay what they were asking for what they offered before, there shouldn't be a problem, right? They're just trying to maximize their profits by following economics: charge what people are willing to pay (or a little more).

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                              only the one's smart enough to know the difference. I mean there are a lot of people who haven't a clue about Macs too. Just because you own a computer doesn't mean you're techie. I mean look how many people still use AOL?!?!?

With Macs you hardly have to concern yourself with spyware, malware, etc, etc. Seems like Window boxes need security updates every other day! Plus any geek worth his broadband would love to own one of these new Macs that were shown yesterday.

A real plus with the new Intel Macs is the ability to boot into Windows( God forbid!), or Red Hat(any open source OS)!

Bottomline, all you need to know is, Redmond steals most of their innovation from Cupertino!

Comment

Working...
                              X