HT Recipes: Soup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HT Recipes: Soup

This is the place for Hawaii Threads members to share your favorite soup recipes.

Hot, cold, entree or side dish. Soup warms the soul.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Jook Recipe by Pomai

Jook (also called "Chook" and Congee) is a rice porridge soup introduced to Hawaii by Chinese immigrants during the plantation era. It's now a local tradition to make this soup after Thankgiving with the leftover turkey. Other variations exist such as Chicken (Gai Jook). Also pork and beef, though turkey is by far the most popular version in Hawaii. The perfect dish on a cool Hawaiian winter night.

Jook

Serving size: A small army or several hungry Jook fans

Soup:
    • Turkey bones (the whole carcass, including some meat still on)
    • Turkey meat (whole leftover meat, white and dark), shredded
    • Rice (white medium grain, regular 'kine like Hinode) - 3 to 5 cups
    • Ginger, roughly chopped - about 1 "finger"
    • Chung Choi (preserved salted turnip) You can find this in the asian section of any supermarket. Chopped rough (leave the salt on) - 1 piece
    • Peanuts (raw, peeled) - amount at your discretion
    • Water - enough to cover bones and fill pot
    • Cooking Oil - 2 oz. (1/4 cup)
    • Hawaiian Salt

Garnish: (chop each finely)
    • Chinese Parsley (a.k.a. Cilantro)
    • Green Onion
    • Choong Choi, rinse salt off
    • Water Chestnuts
    • Cashews (unsalted)
    • Lettuce, shredded
    • Shoyu
    *The garnishing possibilites are up to you.. be creative!

In a bowl, rinse raw rice in water and drain. Pour about 1 oz. of oil and sprinkle Hawaiian salt lightly, then toss to coat. Let the rice "marinate" in this overnight at room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap. This is what's called "Hoy Fah".. to make the rice "bloom like a flower".

In a very large stock pot, pour 1 oz. of oil. Set stove dial to medium-high and place in Turkey bones. You want to brown the bones a bit, as this will add flavor to your stock. After the bones have browned slightly, pour in water to cover and fill pot about 5/6th from the top. Throw in chopped Choong Choi and ginger. Bring to boil then let simmer for about 2-3 hours.

Strain turkey broth from bones, choong choi and ginger through a sieve into another pot the same size. discard the bones and other stock ingredients. Important: Don't use any of the meat that was on those bones, as it no longer has any flavor.. it's just straw!

Return turkey broth to stove. Add marinated raw rice to pot and bring to boil, then reduce to simmer. Add turkey meat and raw peanuts. Let the whole thing simmer until the rice becomes very soft and the broth becomes gelatinous from the starch in the rice. The turkey meat should also be tender and loose. This should take about 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

When the Jook reaches a porridge-like consistency, finish it by adding Hawaiian Salt to desired taste. Don't overdo the salt. Just enough to bring out the flavor. If the Jook is too thin, you can always add more raw rice and let it simmer longer. Do this until it's just the right thickness.. like a loose porridge.

Enjoy hot with your favorite garnishes.

Last words: I've made this recipe 4 years in a row and everytime it was a family hit. Someone said it was better than Jook they've tried in Hong Kong. The quantities given are approximate. You will need to use your own "soup-making judgement" which will give your Jook your signature. A key ingredient in good Jook is the Chung Choi. You can omit it, but it will be missing that "special something" that Jook fans expects to taste. Also, don't forget the garnishes. That's what gives it added flavor, character and texture contrast. I thank my calabash Chinese aunt for teaching me how to make this. ~ Pomai
    Last edited by Pomai; November 26, 2005, 02:00 PM. Reason: Added Introduction
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: HT Recipes: Soup

Anybody get good recipe for Portagee Bean Soup? I do mine sort of "oyoso" and was curious about how other people make it. Any unusual seekrit ingredients? Share?

eta: I'm not looking for "googled" recipes or strictly cookbook recipes. I'm looking for tried and true, this is the way I make it for my family kine recipes
      Last edited by Adri; September 1, 2006, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri
        Anybody get good recipe for Portagee Bean Soup? I do mine sort of "oyoso" and was curious about how other people make it. Any unusual seekrit ingredients? Share?

eta: I'm not looking for "googled" recipes or strictly cookbook recipes. I'm looking for tried and true, this is the way I make it for my family kine recipes
        I see all kine ways of making Portugese soup - some pretty wierd kine!
        But da best is my Moms simple recipe - just ham shanks, portugese sausage, beans, cabbage, tomato sauce and macaroni. The real key ingreideint is high quality ham shanks, not ham hocks.

I get the exact stuff if you are really interested in a good, simple recipe from my mom tommorow after work and post 'um here..........

edit: Lol, ok, mebbe you do want the recipe since I just googled "oyoso"

eh, and no fo get - the difference between one Portagee and one Portugese.. da Portugese guy get papers!
        Last edited by Kahalu'u_Chrome; September 1, 2006, 10:40 PM.
        It doesn't take money to make someone smile for a little bit. All it takes is Aloha. ~ Auntie Lynn

Comment

Auntie Lynn's Port. Bean Soup

Ingredients

1 Pkg. Cut Pieces Ham Hocks
          1 Pkg. Port. Sausage
          1 can Kidney beans
          1 can Garbanzo Beans (optional)
          handful of macaroni or spagetti noodles
          1 cup sliced cabbage
          1/2 cup sliced onions
          1 cut carrot
          2 Potatoes (cut into fourths)
          2 cloves garlic crushed
          1 bunch cilantro
          1 bay leaf
          2 large cans tomato sauce
          1 whole can tomato
          pepper,salt, garlic powder to taste
          msg (optional)

Preparation

Of course, wash all your ingredients good.
          Put Ham Hocks into big pot. Cover with water over three inches higher. Add everything else. Boil till everything comes soft - usually takes between 1-1/2 hours to 2 hours. Last 1/2 hour throw in cut potatoes. Onolicious!

Note: if too much water(this is first recipe) take some out. play with recipe till it becomes yours. heheheh

Auntie Lynn

Auntie Lynn's Family Secret as shared on KHON@ with Malolo Morales -
          whenever making meat soft - put in a metal spoon into the pot and boil along with your food.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Auntie, I definately goin' try 'dis one. Sounds so ono! I love to dip french bread with buttah' on top in dis' 'kine soup. Winnahz!

Originally posted by 1stwahine

Ingredients

1 Pkg. Port. Sausage
            1 can Kidney beans
            1 cup sliced cabbage
            1/2 cup sliced onions
            1 cut carrot
            2 cloves garlic crushed
            1 bunch cilantro
            1 bay leaf
            1 whole can tomato
            msg (optional)

Preparation

Put Ham Hocks into big pot. Cover with water over three inches higher. Add everything else. Boil till everything comes soft - usually takes between 1-1/2 hours to 2 hours. Last 1/2 hour throw in cut potatoes. Onolicious!

Note: if too much water(this is first recipe) take some out. play with recipe till it becomes yours. heheheh

Auntie Lynn

whenever making meat soft - put in a metal spoon into the pot and boil along with your food.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
              Auntie, I definately goin' try 'dis one. Sounds so ono! I love to dip french bread with buttah' on top in dis' 'kine soup. Winnahz!
              Any kine of bread or roll is definitely a winner with this soup. Put plenty butter! Onolicious gurrans! Espeacially, on a rainy day!

Enjoy

Auntie Lynn

Comment

This part is especially interesting. Never heard of this meat tenderizing method before. Sounds like some metallurgical reaction between the (stainless steel?) spoon and the pot that does the trick. Which may bring to question exactly which type (metal-wise) of pot would work best for this to be effective.

Whoah.. all of a sudden ʻdis bean soup stay "scientificicistist".

Iʻve done Portuguese Bean Soup before, and it took over 2 hours on medium simmer before the smoked ham hocks became fork-tender.

You right about daʻ bread. Moʻ buttah, moʻ bettah! Witʻ poi on da side, we stylinʻ.
                Last edited by Pomai; September 2, 2006, 07:30 AM.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                  This part is especially interesting. Never heard of this meat tenderizing method before. Sounds like some metallurgical reaction between the (stainless steel?) spoon and the pot that does the trick. Which may bring to question exactly which type (metal-wise) of pot would work best for this to be effective. Whoah.. all of a sudden ʻdis bean soup stay"scientificicistist".
                  heheheh. Malolo wen asked da same thing when the camera was rolling. Dis is wat I told him. "It was a Secret Technique passed down from the old cooks in da family on my Potorican side!" "I dunno how it works or the scientifics behind it but it works." As for what kind of Pot to use? Any kind.

Note: I do have one special Pot that I use especially for Port. Bean Soup. It's a Cast Iron Pot.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Forget the hamburgers at Dukes!!! Start cooking and bring a pot of your soup aunty!!! Save us all a few burger bucks!!!

That sounds ONO!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                      Forget the hamburgers at Dukes!!! Start cooking and bring a pot of your soup aunty!!! Save us all a few burger bucks!!!

That sounds ONO!
                      Oh! No!! He got up!!!

Here we go again.

hahahahahaha

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Thanks Auntie! That does sound good. and thanks for the tip about the spoon, I neva heard that one before either

Kahalu'u_Chrome, I still interested in your mom's recipe too Thanks!

Now if only the weather would cooperate and rain (instead of just sprinkle and be muggy), that would be perfect for soup eating

Comment

Ingredients

1 Pkg. Port. Sausage
                          1 can Kidney beans
                          1 cup sliced cabbage
                          1/2 cup sliced onions
                          1 cut carrot
                          2 cloves garlic crushed
                          1 bunch cilantro
                          1 bay leaf
                          1 whole can tomato
                          msg (optional)

Preparation

Auntie Lynn

This looks terrific---I printed out the recipe!

Just one question---does it matter what brand of Portuguese sausage you use? Do you have a favorite? I want to get this right...

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                            This looks terrific---I printed out the recipe!

Just one question---does it matter what brand of Portuguese sausage you use? Do you have a favorite? I want to get this right...
                            Any brand will do. I usually buy Redondo's because of the size. However, for taste I prefer Gouveia's!

Let me know how your Soup came out.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Any brand will do. I usually buy Redondo's because of the size. However, for taste I prefer Gouveia's!

Let me know how your Soup came out.

Auntie Lynn
                              Thanks, Auntie. I'm working 75 hours in eight days. This is my only full day off until Thursday---I should be cleaning and doing laundry but look where I am .

I'll be able to pick up the ingredients by the end of the week. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Comment

Working...
                              X