Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
    I still think of Checkers and Pogo when I look at the KFC on the corner of Kapiolani and Koreamoku.
    What was there? The times I went C&P it was at the KGMB building that's still there. It was in the same studio and diagonally opposite of the news set. Same cameras, control room, etc used for both.
    Last edited by GeckoGeek; September 22, 2007, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
      That's in contrast to the Kaneohe store that's been demoed. Not gutted, demolished flat.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        I'll tell ya' what's a distant memory. Remember "Jelly's," across the street?
        Kinda hard fo' remember Jelly's when they tore the old building down.

Splurged my money on comics and games there.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          Kinda hard fo' remember Jelly's when they tore the old building down.
          Kinda hard fo' remember? Uhhh, yeah, that's what I meant by something that is truly a "distant memory." An old building/store that is physically gone, not re-modeled or renovated.

Speaking of another old Jelly's store that's a distant memory: How many of you remember the old building that used to sit right on the location where Hawaiki Tower (KHON's headquarters) is now? If memory serves me right, Records Hawaii used to be right next door to Jelly's.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

[I][...]Speaking of another old Jelly's store that's a distant memory: How many of you remember the old building that used to sit right on the location where Hawaiki Tower (KHON's headquarters) is now?[...]
            The 404 Piikoi building?

Comment

Speaking of another old Jelly's store that's a distant memory: How many of you remember the old building that used to sit right on the location where Hawaiki Tower (KHON's headquarters) is now? If memory serves me right, Records Hawaii used to be right next door to Jelly's.
              That's the one I remember. I don't think they were next door to each other. I remember RH being about the middle and Jelly's at the right end. I'm not sure what else was there. I think a clothing store that specialized in exercise(?) clothing?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                That's the one I remember. I don't think they were next door to each other. I remember RH being about the middle and Jelly's at the right end. I'm not sure what else was there. I think a clothing store that specialized in exercise(?) clothing?
                Maybe Jelly's and Records Hawaii weren't directly adjacent to each other, but they were practically next door neighbors.

A number of businesses came and went in that dumpy old building. I remember on the far left hand side, there was a discount appliance/electronics outlet. (And I DO remember that exact location for a fact. They set up a tarp to the left of the building and used that as a car stereo installation bay.)
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The old building where Jellys and Records Hawaii was in was known as 404 Piikoi. Both stores were located next to each other, and next to Records Hawaii was Job Lot, a little discount store that sold all kinds of cheap stuff. I still have the cheap tinny speakers that I bought from them years ago and they still work. I used to connect them to my old Sony Walkman cassette player, which also still works!

We've discussed Jellys in other threads, but back in the day that was my favorite record store to go to, especially when they had those huge vinyl blowout record sales where LPs would go for as low as 7 for $1. I still have many of those.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

In the late 80's there was a clothing store near RH called THE BOX that was there for a bit before relocating to Ala Moana Shopping Center's "Guava Lane". Anyone remember GL? It was previously "McInerny's", after "Guava Lane" there was "North Beach Leather", "ACA Joe's", "Vis a Vis"...
                    ___
                    "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
                      In the late 80's there was a clothing store near RH called THE BOX that was there for a bit before relocating to Ala Moana Shopping Center's "Guava Lane". Anyone remember GL? It was previously "McInerny's", after "Guava Lane" there was "North Beach Leather", "ACA Joe's", "Vis a Vis"...
                      That Guava Lane stuff was the beginning of a change for Ala Moana Center where focus shifted away from targeting price and value oriented locals toward the high end spending tourists from Japan. The center hasn't changed since and has continually become a huge hodge podge of mostly high-end, high-priced boutique, specialty and department stores, not to mention the higher priced eateries too.

About the only store with value for the locals is Longs' and to a lesser degree, Sears and maybe Foodland. It is no wonder WalMart decided to build close by since they represent the kind of price and value conscious shopper that has long ago been abandoned by Ala Moana Center. Walgreens is the second such store to be located within the corridor targeting the same value and price conscious shopper.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

That Guava Lane stuff was the beginning of a change for Ala Moana Center where focus shifted away from targeting price and value oriented locals toward the high end spending tourists from Japan. The center hasn't changed since and has continually become a huge hodge podge of mostly high-end, high-priced boutique, specialty and department stores, not to mention the higher priced eateries too.

About the only store with value for the locals is Longs' and to a lesser degree, Sears and maybe Foodland. It is no wonder WalMart decided to build close by since they represent the kind of price and value conscious shopper that has long ago been abandoned by Ala Moana Center. Walgreens is the second such store to be located within the corridor targeting the same value and price conscious shopper.
                        You're right Mel it was, Ala Moana has never been the same. I'm priced out of most of that row, but we find some good deals on clothing and apparel during end of season sales at some stores. I don't mind their transition since I prefer Pearlridge anyways, but it's become almost like a maze!
                        ___
                        "Be god to each other."

Comment

Don't forget Ross and Sam's Club! (OK...Sam's Club is just an extension of Walmart)
                          I noticed that they are moving along on the Kaneohe Walgreens as well. They fenced in the old Star Market parking lot and tore down the building. Makes it harder to get in and out of Jamba Juice and Starbucks! Glad Starbucks is drive through and Jamba Juice will take curbside pickups that are called in.
                          I look forward to Walgreens. I grew up in the Chicago area and looked forward to their Sunday ads (just like I look forward to Longs' ads now).

Comment

I remember THE BOX...or at least I do because I saw some old commercials for it recently!

Aj

Comment

I worked at the old T&C at Guava Lane. That was probably one of the last dept stores that subleased out space to other vendors as a business model. GEM of Hawaii was like that and so was Shirokiya to a limited extent.

Comment

Can I have a "G" Please?

The signs are lighted tonight.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X