Clear All

Re: Island Fever

TG, Sorry to hear your experiencing island fever. I went through
    something similar when I lived in Guam for about a year. Funny thing
    is now I sort of miss it...

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
      [...]We have so many folks who come on this list and ask questions about moving here. and always someone will tell that person what living here is REALLY like. But, it seems that they never believe us.
      I wonder if, for some, their yearning to live in paradise is so deep that they think our experiences won't apply to them! I recall more than a couple of newbies who came to HT and got answers they didn't want to hear. Their participation was short lived!
      I've never felt claustrophobic here because I can look out at the water and see only endless open space. and I AM claustrophobic!
      It's so interesting to me how this is such an individual experience! A former BF lived a few blocks from the beach in Santa Monica. He wasn't a claustrophobic person but when he'd visit me on Oahu he always remarked how "contained" he felt on an island because all he could see was water!!! It made him uncomfortable even tho' he lived near the beach! Now you know why he's a "former"!
      But, for us local folks - it takes a while to be friends with a newbie - not because they aren't worthy of being friends, but because we don't want to invest the energy to get close to someone who is just going to leave.
      Even tho' TG's been here a short time, I think I remember her mentioning this was an issue for her, too.
      a surrogate family can temporarily replace the other and can be a rich source of happiness.
      Ah yes, the family of choice!!! Love 'em all!
      Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
      I once had 'Cabin Fever'. I got weird, okay weirder.

[...]Nanaimo on Vancouver Island.
      I looooooove Vancouver Island and especially Nanaimo!
      They had more snow than since the 50's that year.
      [...]
      Factors:
      Too (bleep) cold
      Solid grey skies for months
      Indoors too much
      [...]
      Definitely out of sorts physically and emotionally.
      Luckily, the fever was only for a short period.
      [...]
      There's a medical condition called Seasonal Affective Disorder (aka: SAD). I wonder if that's what you had, MM.
      Winter-onset SAD is most likely caused by your body's reaction to the lack of sunlight. Light therapy is one option for treating this type of SAD because increased sunlight can improve symptoms.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        I looooooove Vancouver Island and especially Nanaimo!
        I think we're going to take the AF's folks up there this time, when they visit (from Kane`ohe) in April. I love driving the Malahat, and we've stayed in Duncan a couple times.
        Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
        Try volunteer work.
        THAT is one of the best suggestions yet.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
          Try volunteer work.
          Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          [...]
          THAT is one of the best suggestions yet.
          And not the first time it was made!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            And not the first time it was made!
            True - sorry to have not given you credit for post #6, Sue.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              True - sorry to have not given you credit for post #6, Sue.
              Nah...credit isn't important. That volunteering was suggested more than once is...'cuz it works!

Comment

I'm so sorry to read Turtlegirl is plagued with the Fever now. I hope you will quickly get through this, and begin enjoying things again.

Just wondering, do most newcomers (not visitor types) get the Fever? Is it just psychological? I've heard it discussed many times, but until you get it, well...... dunno. I guess I'll have to see for myself.

I live 20 minutes from the Pacific Ocean; never go see it. I rarely leave my house, unless it's to ship out eBay, or buy supplies. In fact, I usually stay in my bedroom at least 12-18 hours a day. I don't have agoraphobia or any social issues; I just really, really like my house, and everything in it. I sure hope I can be so happy in my future home (dreams of Punalu'u), as I love solitude, my pets, and my plants. Maybe that lifestyle would help me prevent Rock Fever?

I do agree that it's great to do volunteer work; did it for many years... right now I have "volunteered" to help my dad care for mom with Alzheimer's... a hard job for just one person.

I pretty sure I can handle the Fever, as I am very adaptable to nearly everything and anyone. I'm an only child, so I have really learned to play quietly by myself in my personal space. Still, you guys are right... It's something all newcomers should really think about. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
                  I live 20 minutes from the Pacific Ocean; never go see it. I rarely leave my house, unless it's to ship out eBay, or buy supplies. In fact, I usually stay in my bedroom at least 12-18 hours a day. I don't have agoraphobia or any social issues; I just really, really like my house, and everything in it. I sure hope I can be so happy in my future home (dreams of Punalu'u), as I love solitude, my pets, and my plants. Maybe that lifestyle would help me prevent Rock Fever? Any thoughts?
                  Punalu'u is a wonderful, tranquil area. You may even find yourself outside with neighbors oftener than originally thought.
                  Life is made up of chapters...
                  Places we live
                  Jobs we have
                  Loves of our lives
                  Friends
                  And more, so go for it! I think you'll do fine.
                  Quite often we're stronger than we think.
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I don't expect to get a response as a Foreigner/Haole, I very seldom do except for some recipes I post.

My friend lives off McCulley and moved there from LA 30 yrs ago and she is desperate to get away. She comes to Europe (from Paradise) twice each year ,,,,, "Looking for a way to get off that rock."

I made many friends on Oahu and they visit me. Yet I would never dream of going back there.
                    Last edited by Barry; February 1, 2009, 01:27 AM.

Comment

I remember about people complaining about 'rock fever'. I never understood what they meant...was it being stuck on a small island?...was it having only the ocean on the horizon?...Was it like cabin fever?...Claustophobia?

Then I went to the mainland to live. And panicked! Only land, stretching as far as the eye could see. And clouds, too. It just went on until forever. It was too big and too wide and I felt too alone.

Now I live where there is at least a Mauka (the Pyrenees), and a Makai (the Atlantic coast at Biarritz) that I can see...so I feel 'safe'.

It's all to do from your sense of perspective. Try to keep ahold of your sense of humour.
                      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post

Just wondering, do most newcomers (not visitor types) get the Fever? Is it just psychological? I've heard it discussed many times, but until you get it, well...... dunno. I guess I'll have to see for myself. It's something all newcomers should really think about. Any thoughts?
                        I think everything is relative. The island I grew up on is soooo small, it made Maui look like the mainland. No rock fever - I am more comfortable being surrounded by water. Yet, now, I am in a land-locked situation. By the end of the semester I get mainland fever so bad I can't wait to get back home. I am seriously feeling it now. Part of my problem is that I am generally only here when it is cold and cloudy (though the fall is nice). There is not much chance for socializing. Too much ice and snow, not to mention I'm working all the time (for the record, the opportunities I have at my institution override any negative feelings about the area). But I also think there is a definite culture clash going on here. Of course, I also think there is definite inbreeding going on here too, but that is a different story..........

Anyway, I think the whole rock fever thing is psychological. It depends on what you are used to. If Hawaii is very different from your life experiences, then it is more likely you will get it. Just as living in upstate NY is so very different for me.

Comment

I've been kind of going through the opposite lately. I don't want to leave. I'm really dreading going back to the mainland because it's everything I don't want to go back to. TG- I hope you don't mind me sharing some of our Kahuku Beach Talk from Friday...

Hawaii has been a great change of pace for me. All of my friends at home are work. I likened it to a game of Risk. I just want to hang on to Australia and be happy, but stupid Asia (this one friend) is trying to invade (she's talking smack about me while I'm not there and trying to take my other friends), so I have to go take all her countries through Kamchaca, so I can make an alliance with North America (this other friend) and we can hold it all together. You can ask why does it got to be like that? Well- it just does. These are girls I've known for 15 years. And Dallas is so spread out, it's hard to make friends. I don't have kids, I don't have a career- so my options are a little limited. Or the old me would have done that. Me now? Maybe I just don't care anymore. Invade Australia. I'm sick of having to plan stragetic war moves just to keep my social life running smoothly.

But here- it's not like that. I like the laid-back lifestyle and all that comes with it. I don't know if I could do it forever. Maybe like 2 or 3 years. There really aren't a whole lotta jobs in certain fields, and the scenery is gorgeous, but if it's not for you, there's no shame in admitting it and moving on. But a very wise person told me not to make any rash decisions before I turn 29 because that's when I'm supposed to leave all the drama and junk of my 20's behind me. I think living here has made both Jason and I realize we don't want to live in Dallas anymore. We're over the materialistic lifestyle and the Snackwell friends that come with it (you know, they look great, but you bite into them, and they're all looks and no substanace. Plus, they taste like s%^#)

But as for you, TG, I gave you my opinion the day you helped me box up my surfboard (that was awesome!). Let me know how it all turned out!!
                          Last edited by surlygirly; February 1, 2009, 11:19 PM. Reason: Computer cut me off!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Move to Hilo and live in the fern forest.
                            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                              Punalu'u is a wonderful, tranquil area. You may even find yourself outside with neighbors oftener than originally thought.
                              Life is made up of chapters...
                              Places we live
                              Jobs we have
                              Loves of our lives
                              Friends
                              And more, so go for it! I think you'll do fine.
                              Quite often we're stronger than we think.
                              Thanks for the insight, MM.... I admire the way you get out in nature each time you can, with your hiking & geocache hobby... you have inspired me to go outside again. There's just so much that I still want to see. Like everything.

After I rolled my Jeep in the desert, on a rockhounding trip, I started to stay home a lot. Like an old bear licking her wounds. I'm feeling a lot better, but with the aging process and some permanent injuries, I've become too sedentary. I DO want to get out more, and be one with nature again.

As far as rock fever... hmmph. Probably couldn't get it if I tried. Too much fun to be had. Yes, Punalu'u made a huge impression on me. LikaNui's Kaneohe photos have me crazy to go to the Sandbar! I guess I'm really attracted to that whole area. So how could I get the fever? No worries.

SB
                              barb

Comment

Maybe if you go back and visit or...ooooh, I know! Live six months in one place and six in Hawaii! Then you can f-ing go to the beach and f-ing BBQ every weekend for half the year and can get the city out of your system for the other half. Come visit me while you're mainlanding it!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Working...
                                X