Growing Up In Hawai'i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Growing Up In Hawai'i

i loved watching wrestling with my dad at block arena. remember the mighty midgets? ripper collins, the francis clan, lord tally ho blairs, etc.

lika: mrs. montero? sister bernadette? i don't remember them. i was there from 1974-76. i'm trying to think: i think there was a damien montero? sister alice, sister carmen (she later left and got married), mrs. espiritu, sister josephine. lots of sisters. what about mrs. basug? mrs. gongob?
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Re: off topic...sorry!

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      [...]I want to say it was Adohr Milk, but.[...]
      It sure was!
      [...]Engineer Bill [...]Sheriff John, Chucko The Birthday Clown, and... Soupy Sales.
      I don't remember Chucko, possibly because I was a huge Bozo the Clown fan! The others I do remember. I was in college when Soupy was wildly popular. We used to gather in the dorm's rec room every week day afternoon to watch!

Other shows I watched religiously included Capt. Midnight (zooooooom), Time for Beany, Howdy Doody (with Buffalo Bob and Clarabelle!), and the Mickey Mouse Club.
      Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
      Engineer Bill/Stulla died this last Tues, at 97(!).
      Loved Engineer Bill. I'm fairly certain that was the only time I'd drink milk!
      Bombastic LA newsman, George Putnam just passed away last week, also in his 90s.
      Wow! There's a blast from the past! I thought he was old when I was a kid!
      Sheriff John/Rovick is still alive, so we can still sing 'Come on, laugh and be happy and the world will laugh with you...'
      www.tvparty.com/lostlasheriff.html
      Not to mention..."Put another candle on my birthday cake; we're gonna bake a birthday caaaake..."
      Man, life was simply great growing up in LA.
      Children's shows certainly weren't lacking, were they!!! Such innocent times.

Comment

Re: off topic...sorry!

Originally posted by tutusue View Post

Children's shows certainly weren't lacking, were they!!! Such innocent times.
        we had checkers and pogo poge. don't know why, but i liked watching lassie, daniel boone and the waltons. "good night john boy." rat patrol, gilligan's island, f troop and hogan's heroes. i dream of genie (spelling), too...
        "chaos reigns within.
        order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
          i loved watching wrestling with my dad at block arena. remember the mighty midgets? ripper collins, the francis clan, lord tally ho blairs, etc.

lika: mrs. montero? sister bernadette? i don't remember them. i was there from 1974-76. i'm trying to think: i think there was a damien montero? sister alice, sister carmen (she later left and got married), mrs. espiritu, sister josephine. lots of sisters. what about mrs. basug? mrs. gongob?
          Ok you one baby den. I know Dominic Montero. What about Ms. Sibonga, they lived right there on St Joe's property and she had 3 or 4 sons. Was Father Ernest there then? Big round German dude.
          ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

hm, maybe regarding ms. sibonga.

now, you got me stumped regarding the reverend? shoots! i can picture his face and remember that he used to be at st. augustine before st. joseph's. father? father? darn that's going to bug me.

nah, not one baby anymore. lol. will be 46 next month. gosh, i'm having a moment. i forgot how old i was going to be--had to do the math.

now that i think about it, it's the sabogs i had in mind not ms. sibonga. and, it's damien montaire not montero.
            Last edited by kani-lehua; September 27, 2008, 04:17 PM.
            "chaos reigns within.
            order shall return."

Comment

Heeeerrrrrre's Chucko!

www.tvparty.com/lostlachucko.html

For some reason, I liked Chucko even better than Bozo.
              Maybe it was that cool lil carrousel hat, but it's hard to beat Bozo's hair!
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

There was a villain from Hawai'i, Prince Curtis Kuhio who head butted opponents with a hold (?) he called the Aloha. He never really caught on as a villain, though. Blassie sure did. And so did The Intelligent Sensational Destroyer, a masked wrestler who turned out to be a champion wrestler named Dick Beyer. Lou's Garage had a large card on a tripod and their announcer would give their pitch, and like clockwork one of the wrestlers would always grab the card and smash it over Dick Lane's head, or one of the other wrestlers' heads, or even the announcer's head. The WWF wrestling of today doesn't ring my bell at all, but living close to Mexico I can watch Mexican wrestling live from Mexico D.F. and lets just say the soul of 1960's TV wrestling is alive and well in Mexico, its as well choreographed as a Broadway show and twice as funny.

Comment

At first I wasn't going to post this because technically I didn't grow up in Hawaii. But after reading about all of you growing up in California, I had to chime in. Even though the island I grew up on was in the Atlantic, my childhood is much more similar to those who did grow up in Hawaii. Especially those who grew up in Ewa or Kihei. There were no mountains though, just water and sand. Our island was really a big sand dune surrounded by water. There were 10 miles of marshes before you got "off-shore". As kids, we thought everyone lived the way we did. Everyone I knew had at least one boat. We had a 16 ft (I have no idea what make - always called our boats by name) with an old Evenrude (or maybe Johnson) outboard on it. We also had a Sunfish - which, was both the name and the make. My cousin and I tipped the Sunfish once when we were 8 - my Mom says we were younger than that, but I seem to remember being 8. Anyway, between the two of us we didn't have enough weight to bring it upright. So we had to swim to shore and go get my older cousins. The boats were always on the bay side. We weren't allowed to take them on the ocean side. But lots of memories of the ocean too. We were body surfing champs (you know, legends in our own minds). When we were teenagers we all had our own boards (old school long boards) but we never had the waves like in Hawaii. The Atlantic has consistent 2 - 4 ft. waves year around - unlike Hawaii that has no waves in the summer and killer waves in the winter. Back in those days, Gidget was big and I always got teased about being the real Gidget. It didn't hurt that I sort of looked like her. I refuse to call myself an old surfer chick - ever since Jeff Spicolli (sp?) from Fast Times at Ridgemont High, the image of surfers just hasn't been the same. I describe myself as a born and bred beach baby.

One thing that was different from growing up in Hawaii was the boardwalk and piers. We all got summer jobs as soon as we turned 14. We couldn't wait until we turned 14 so we could get a job (what were we thinking?) Mostly in the shops and games that lined the boardwalk. I worked in a bathing suit shop. I knew just about everyone who worked the rides and shops - all of us were either local teenagers or college kids working for the summer.

Another thing that was different (and I only learned about this from the thread about knowing how to swim) was having classes on water safety and swimming. I didn't know of anyone who couldn't swim. The head of the life gaurds would come in and talk to us about boating safety, life saving and stuff. I remember learning how to row out from the beach and how to save a drowning victim. I think this was all before we were ten. All the life gaurds in town were, at one point, related. The head life gaurd was the father of nine boys - all life gaurds by the time we were teenagers. Except for the tourists, it was a very small town. I think there were less than 500 students in the whole high school. I seem to recall there being 75 students in my graduating class - could be wrong on that, but not by much.

Well, I seem to be rambling here. If I get the chance, I'll post on the child rearing thread and talk about raising a child in that environment.

Comment

OMG, acousticlady...That's exactly my story, 'cept for the island in the Atlantic! I'm from a very small beach town on the Pacific! I mean...the boardwalk, small school (90 in my grad. class), surfing, lifeguards, Gidget (she was my best friend in jr. high...the one who went to Rome!!!), etc, etc...it's a match!!! Might we be twin daughters of different parents?

Comment

Interesting thread. I spent da first four years of my life in one tiny hale on Tantalus wit my parents. Dat hale was wea dey lived befoa I was born, and from wea dey wen watch Pearl Harbor get bombed. Real scared time foa dem.

Den we wen move down to Mānoa Valley near da old Chinese cemetery. My childhood? Wow...

Ti-leaf sliding down da hill behind our hale, playing chasemastah in da Pake Cemetery (I know, I know...)... sneaking in to watch da funerals dea (but we nevah wen kakaroach notting, I swear!), walking to school, climbing da mango trees in our yard, playing in Mānoa Stream, riding our bikes all around da place. Going beach alla time... watching da showers move down da valley walls...being able to see da ocean instead of hotels...

Learning to swim in da ocean, never being sked of da watah.

So much freedom we had! Take off in da kakahiaka, come home foa lunch sometimes, always foa dinnah. And like Lika says, knowing if we misbehave, da aunties and uncos going yell at us. So we wen behave.

Good ting dey neva wen catch us kakaroaching Hawaiian lemons from da Doherty's yard, yeah?

Kanikapila wit friends, hula classes... talking pidgin outsai school and loving it, being immersed in a multi-cultural environment, having words and phrases from odda languages incorporated into everyday language, learning songs from odda cultures, attending Bon dances, lu‘au. Going barefoot to school. Being friends with kids from all kine cultures and invited to their homes to learn even more.

I could go on and on....
                      Aloha,
                      Mokihana

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        OMG, acousticlady...That's exactly my story, 'cept for the island in the Atlantic! I'm from a very small beach town on the Pacific! I mean...the boardwalk, small school (90 in my grad. class), surfing, lifeguards, Gidget (she was my best friend in jr. high...the one who went to Rome!!!), etc, etc...it's a match!!! Might we be twin daughters of different parents?
                        I've wondering the same thing .

Comment

Oh my--guess there are a lot of us from the same era!! Chucko was my FAVORITE when I was about 3 or 4!! Now, get this--when I was in second grade, we got a new student, and she was (is) Sheriff John's younger daughter, Sandy! She and her older sister, Wendy, went to school where I did for many years (Laurel Hall Lutheran School in North Hollywood). Sandy and I were very good friends. Her parents were so sweet and he was just the nicest man.

I loved seeing other names from the past...how many of you remember Tom Hatten, and a guy who had a cartoon show and his name was "Skipper Frank"? Loved him, too. I was sad to hear last week about George Putnam; my parents watched him every single night (over their freshly-baked chocolate cake and glass of whole milk--these were the days before we knew anything about cholesterol!!!). Do you guys remember Tom Duggan and Paul Coates? My parents watched those sometimes, but they didn't really like either of them, and they were "grown-up" shows, so I didn't ever look at them--whenever I was up that late. Now here is a really rare one--there was another guy who hosted a cartoon show, around lunchtime, back in the mid to late 50s, who went by the name of "Uncle Luther". (The name today would be kinda scary--HA!) I remember him vaguely. There was a dog, too, named Sparky, with someone named Fireman Joe...lots of these were when I was really little, so they are just smoky memories stuck in my brain.

My husband's from Louisiana and they didn't have even a quarter of the shows we did in L.A.!! But he does remember Monkey Mugs, some little monkey on a show!! HAHAHA! (For the record, we're 55 and 57, so that will tell you our era...)

Comment

I remember a talk show with 4 guy's, called The Bitter End. One of them, a burly (nearly bald) dude always with a cigar hawking his furs during commercial, and another pitched Zachary All, a men's clothier on 'The Miricle Mile'.
                            It got pretty lively. But no Joe Pine pistol waving...

Go now, Hawaii! (Malcom Love), 'cause LA is taking over this thread!

Comment

I remember a 1960 era talk show with 4 guy's, one, a nearly bald burly dude that smoked a cigar and hawked his furs during commercial, and another that did Zachery All, a men's clothier on 'The Miracle Mile'.
                              It got pretty lively, but no Joe Pine pistol waving...

Go now, Hawaii! (Malcom Love), 'cause LA is taking over this thread.

Comment

Yup, chase-masta, jun-ken-po, so much good fun growing up hana-buda days. Hanafuda, kanikapila, and the scraps afta words. I no can believe this Island was so deserted. Plenty pineapple and sugar cane all over da place. Moving from Oahu to Maui was da pit`s. First time I see one mosquito truck and first time I see cane burning. That was back in the 60`s when Maui was. Wahiawa had mo action den Maui. But anyway, I wen go school hea and raised my family hea. Seen this Island change "big time". Trains going from Wailuku, to Kahului Pier. I`m the oldest in the family so guess I had to take all the crap growing up. Oh well, at least I wen build character.
                                bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Working...
                                X