Lanai Wind Farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lanai Wind Farm

So it seems like a repeat of Molokai with the opposition to the proposed wind farm???

Why? For once, this seems like such a win-win project.

Re: Lanai Wind Farm

1) a blight on the horizon

2) a hazard for birds

I'm not for or against it at this time, and I lean toward renewable energy, but I could think of at least 2 issues people may have.

Comment

32 Lanai residents...signed a petition....questioned how the plan would affect access, the environment and whether it would benefit Lana'i residents.

Classic Liberal Cognitive Dissonance. I would bet a nickel that every petitioner considers themselves an environmentalist. But they are really not.

glurg
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
        1) a blight on the horizon

2) a hazard for birds

I'm not for or against it at this time, and I lean toward renewable energy, but I could think of at least 2 issues people may have.
        I can see those as concerns but isn't blight subjective? For me, I see those wind turbines as clean and green. As for birds, a study can be done and birds aren't blind.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
          I can see those as concerns but isn't blight subjective?
          It's subjective to a few people. But to a community who don't want something to distract from the natural scenic landscape, it's more than that. Much like a community on Oahu rejecting the building of more aboveground power lines.

As for birds, a study can be done and birds aren't blind.
          Well, there should be a study of bird's migratory flight paths in the area. And while they are blind, they can't see colors well. Which is why the modern windmills are painted white.

And tall, white-painted windmills are distractions to the scenic landscape that we're proud of.

There is another issue, access to the area for fishing and hunting, if any. Also a safety issue if the public allowed access near the wind farm, unless windmills are equipped with sensors to determine when the prop is experiencing stress fracture or wear-and-tear and need to be replaced or else it might break off during the operation sending the debris into harm's way.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Urggh. This reminds me of my last trip thru Kansas. There were billboards (ugly, detract from the scenery, and possible hazards to migrating birds) that were all about "No windmills in Kansas!! Don't destroy our land and scenery", yet Kansas has the ugliest scenery I have ever seen, (and tons of wind), and to top it off, there are oil derricks everywhere (which are also really really ugly and detract from the scenery)!

And to address Random, is there any evidence from the past 10 years to substantiate the possibility that a windmill prop could break off and cause harm to anyone? Hasn't happened, as far as I've ever heard of.

Those 32 petitioners, well, too bad so sad for you, folks. You guys can burn fossil fuels for your power for your 32 homes. Fine.

Yay windmills!!
            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
              And to address Random, is there any evidence from the past 10 years to substantiate the possibility that a windmill prop could break off and cause harm to anyone? Hasn't happened, as far as I've ever heard of.
              I saw some footage last week (on the Discovery Channel's new "Destroyed In Seconds" program) of a windmill in Denmark that failed to brake in high winds; one of the three blades finally disintegrated, causing the demolition of the entire unit, and scattering pieces over an area twice as large as had been evacuated. No injuries, fortunately.

This isn't meant as an endorsement or rejection of wind turbines - just answering TG's request.

Footage here.

Comment

Hmmm. Regrettable that there has been an accident involving windmills.

Iirc, Denmark has the most windmills of any country, some of which date back to the 1800's, and Hawaii has none.

Anyway, if I saw a row of windmills in Kauai, I would think "Wow, what an environmentally aware and progressive island, that is interested in solving energy problems, and reducing their dependence on oil and on the mainland. Nice!", not "Eww! How ugly!!"

And, Lanai's population is 2800. They won't even need a lot of windmills to be self sufficient. Sooo, 32 ticked off residents vs. 2768 residents benefitted. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Yay windmills!! More windmills, please!
                ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

After reading the Advertiser article whatever energy that this wind farm produces doesn't feed into the Lanai power grid, instead they want to transmit it to Oahu.

To me that is not to bright thinking, you would think they would at least try to get to Lanai on using wind power.

And as far as a wind turbine coming apart, well granted it's not a 100% safe at least it would be easier to clean up than a nuclear, geothermal or oil burning power plant failing, assuming the wind turbine doesn't take out the rest of the other wind turbine.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                    After reading the Advertiser article whatever energy that this wind farm produces doesn't feed into the Lanai power grid, instead they want to transmit it to Oahu.

To me that is not to bright thinking, you would think they would at least try to get to Lanai on using wind power.

And as far as a wind turbine coming apart, well granted it's not a 100% safe at least it would be easier to clean up than a nuclear, geothermal or oil burning power plant failing, assuming the wind turbine doesn't take out the rest of the other wind turbine.
                    The same applies to the Moloka'i wind farm proposal. Talked to one of the guys at First Wind, and the person said our own island's power grid technology is not compatible. That and Oahu is the most demanding of all the Hawaiian islands when it comes to power usage. Hey, it's not my problem that Oahu is so metropolitan.

I'd say leave Oahu in the dark and let them pay their bills as much as us, if not more.

--left Oahu, returned to Moloka'i.
                    Last edited by Random; September 2, 2008, 01:45 PM.

Comment

And, Lanai's population is 2800. They won't even need a lot of windmills to be self sufficient. Sooo, 32 ticked off residents vs. 2768 residents benefitted. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
                      Yeah, kinda like with the rails transit situation on Oahu, right?
                      Last edited by Random; September 2, 2008, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Anyway, if I saw a row of windmills in Kauai, I would think "Wow, what an environmentally aware and progressive island, that is interested in solving energy problems, and reducing their dependence on oil and on the mainland. Nice!", not "Eww! How ugly!!"

Yay windmills!! More windmills, please!
                        Meh. Kauai's ugly as it is. Better to be called the Windmill Isle rather than the Garden Isle, after a controlled burn.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post

Actually, the article addresses why they don't plan on feeding into the Lanai power grid. It's not cost effective to build a 10 mile transmission line to the grid because Lanai only needs 4.5 MW. On the other hand, delivering and selling 300 to 400 MW to Oahu is. They did say putting up one 5MW windmill next to the plant would work if people don't object. Lanai's not doing well economically. Murdock has said he's losing money. I don't know why people can't seem to grasp that having a viable economy is a good thing. Looks like Molokai II is in the works.

Comment

It's a no-brainer.
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Murdock has said he's losing money.
                              He could sell Lanai, preferably to the county or state.

Comment

Working...
                              X