Hawaii's News Papers Which do you Prefer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii's News Papers Which do you Prefer

I do Prefer the SB over all, I Like the stories and the comics, I normally read it on my way home on the bus.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
      I agree that this is irritating. And it’s not just the homepage that takes forever. But the Advertiser does do one thing that almost makes up for their sluggish web site: they almost always have their main content elements up by 1 a.m. The Star-Bulletin, on the other hand, drags their feet in this regard. I have never seen them beat the Advertiser to the punch, and at least once or twice it has them until sun-up to have their stories online!

♪ Yesterday’s news is yesterday’s blues. ♫
      You may want to do a little research next time before you stand in judgment.

One of the intrinsic differences between afternoon and morning newspapers is in their deadline times. Advertiser = morning paper. Star-Bulletin = afternoon paper. Writers have story submission deadlines. Page layout editors have deadlines for submission to the presses. Seeing how online production crews receive their content in parallel with the presses, it's a bit ridiculous to expect the online edition for an afternoon paper with a final deadline of 10 or 11p.m. to go live at the same time as the online edition of a morning paper with a final deadline of 6 or 7p.m.

Think about it this way: sure McDonalds and Ruth Chris Steakhouse both serve food, but do you fault RCS for not offering a 20 oz. Cowboy Ribeye at six in the morning?

Some things are worth waiting a little longer for ...
      "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

I like the sports columnists on both the Advertiser and the Bulletin. So, it comes down to Lee(I hate June Jones)Cataluna or Charles(I hate Mayo)Memminger.

Comment

hi this is sansei and in response to GChun,we've had the same problem's only since i shared my comment's with the sb headmanager,he found a new delivery guy with his son who does a great job at delivery and the previous guy we had who rode a moped,he first threw one paper in my mom's plant's and then he threw another one on our step's and so we'd have two paper's so i shared my thought's with the sbheadmanger and he found this new young guy and he and his father come by and deliver our sb paper so thing's are good now so i thought to share this with you and everyone.

well thank's for your time

Comment

I read the Star-Bulletin. Seldom ever read the Advertiser.

The Star-Bulletin's website is a lot easier to navigate and cleaner than the Adv. The Bulletin's site was a LOT cleaner when Blaine used to run the show, but it got messed up once the company got sold to the Canadians.

As for color quality, when both the Bulletin and Adv were printed at the old HNA building, the Bulletin was consistently better. Since then the Adv got an awesome press system and the Bulletin was run on a poorly set-up offset press in Kaneohe.

There were some guys who were willing and capable of making it all look better. But the powers-that-be prevailed and the prepress and press system apparently was left as-is. Thus sometimes the Bulletin and MidWeek look like you need fancy 3D glasses to see the pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
              One of the intrinsic differences between afternoon and morning newspapers is in their deadline times. Advertiser = morning paper. Star-Bulletin = afternoon paper.
              That may be true now. But once upon a time the Star-Bulletin decided they were actually going to compete against the Honolulu Advertiser. For a little while, there was a war, with both papers publishing morning and afternoon editions. Does this guy still have faith in his product? I know, I know. The MidWeek press is overtaxed, right?

Seeing how online production crews receive their content in parallel with the presses, it's a bit ridiculous to expect the online edition for an afternoon paper with a final deadline of 10 or 11p.m. to go live at the same time as the online edition of a morning paper
              Says you. Why should online production crews receive their content wholesale? Some writers finish their copy before others. "Features," columns, etc. are often completed days in advance. If an editor has already approved the story, it should go directly to the webmaster. That is ofcourse, if Star-Bulletin is trying to be competitive.

Some things are worth waiting a little longer for ...
              ♪ Yesterday’s news is yesterday’s blues. ♫

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Why should online production crews receive their content wholesale? Some writers finish their copy before others. "Features," columns, etc. are often completed days in advance. If an editor has already approved the story, it should go directly to the webmaster. That is ofcourse, if Star-Bulletin is trying to be competitive.
                Obviously you don't know how a newsroom works.

Yeah some copy is done "days" in advance (most likely features or columns as you suspect), but it's not edited or copy-edited until right before it goes to press. Photos and graphics aren't decided upon until page layout is done.

What runs online is generally a mirror image of what runs in the paper edition. And none of that is decided until right before printing.

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
                  Obviously you don't know how a newsroom works.
                  No obviously, I am critiquing the way your newsroom works. Your statement is quite presumptuous. I expect this from a “straight out of Ka Leo” hire like yourself. Avoid the Karl Rove tactics, dick. It’s bad form.

Yeah some copy is done "days" in advance (most likely features or columns as you suspect), but it's not edited or copy-edited until right before it goes to press. Photos and graphics aren't decided upon until page layout is done.
                  This is completely irrelevant. You can put breaking news items on the web page, which generally doesn’t require “waiting until print.” Breaking news rarely employs photos or graphics.

The bottom line is you hold the reader hostage by “sitting” on the latest news when it could be divulged. Or is it because you are waiting for the Honolulu Advertiser to break the news first, so you can compare notes?

What runs online is generally a mirror image of what runs in the paper edition. And none of that is decided until right before printing.
                  And unfortunately, this inflexibility to market trends is one of the biggest drawbacks of SB.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

I expect this from a “straight out of Ka Leo” hire like yourself.
                    Huh? Care to clarify?

As for the rest of your commentary, well... it's duly noted. Thank you for your input.

Comment

And unfortunately, this inflexibility to market trends is one of the biggest drawbacks of SB.
                      If I may assume to interpret what TuNnL is saying - this is a problem with a number of print outlets: basing the content of their website on what they can prepare for a print edition is an old business model.

In these days when more and more people are turning away from print and towards the internet for news, it's a huge challenge for traditional newspapers to adjust, and most of them are only doing so in small increments, and often begrudgingly.

It's not an easy change to make for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that publishers can't get the revenue from their website that they can from a print edition. Getting reporters, journalists, photographers, illustrators, columnists, analysts, etc., to develop material for the website exclusively has been a sticking point in union negotiations at some papers, too.

(Interpretation humbly submitted by someone who still subscribes to a daily newspaper, as well as being an internet user.)

Comment

Huh? Care to clarify?

As for the rest of your commentary, well... it's duly noted. Thank you for your input.

This is in regard to Dick being a straight-out-of Ka Leo hire. It's been 14 years or so, but I think Dick either interned at The Advertiser in 1994, when I did, or he was just hanging out with his good buddy and Tiser staffer, Cory Lum a lot. I actually think Dick was on staff for a bit. I'm sure, if Dick cares to, he will bring his photographic memory into play here.
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                          This is in regard to Dick being a straight-out-of Ka Leo hire. It's been 14 years or so, but I think Dick either interned at The Advertiser in 1994, when I did, or he was just hanging out with his good buddy and Tiser staffer, Cory Lum a lot. I actually think Dick was on staff for a bit. I'm sure, if Dick cares to, he will bring his photographic memory into play here.
                          I'm sure TuNnL's vast wealth of knowledge will be able to fill us all in on my work history. I'm certainly waiting to get filled in myself...

TuNnL?

Comment

Dick is hardly "straight out of Ka Leo".

He's been with the Bulletin ever since the Canadians bought the company back in 2001. He's probably earning top scale by now.

As for the quality level of journalists coming from the college paper, there's a LONG list of award-winning photographers, reporters and editors in all aspects of the industry who started their careers right out of the UH paper.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                              Dick is hardly "straight out of Ka Leo".
                              “Hardly”? As Lavagal pointed out earlier, I am correct. I know he’s been with SB for awhile — that wasn’t the point. His world-view on newsrooms likely stems from a lack of “compare and contrast” opportunities in his experience. Read the whole thread before you post.

As for the quality level of journalists coming from the college paper
                              ...that is not in question. Although it would help if more people would pay attention to their situation.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

“Hardly”? As Lavagal pointed out earlier, I am correct.
                                Are you sure?

My take on the events of my life don't seem to jive with yours.

Comment

Working...
                                X