budget restaurants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• budget restaurants

family from mainland coming to oahu foa ohana reunion, where da kine budget place for eat,waikiki,kalihi,pearl city area
    tanks braddas an sistas
    poipndr kauai boy

Re: budget restaurants

You can't beat Subway for value, or health.

$8.00 get you a footlong sandwich with choke veggies, chips, & soda. you can eat half now and half for dinner

or you could get something deep-fried in oil, with bleachwhite rice, and mac salad on the side. mmmm....mayonnaise mmmm.....salt hey ! where my veggies?
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

1) How big of a group are you talking about?
      2) What kind of food do they like to eat?
      3) How much money per person are they willing to spend?

Comment

I can recommend Nico's at Pier 38 for really good food at great prices. They open early for breakfast. Everything is tasty. Other good budget places include the Thai place inside the Pearl Highlands food court (there is also a DQ, Blimpie, L&L and a decent Korean spot). I will think of more but that should give you some ideas.

Comment

Any food court. I'm partial to them for groups, since nearly everyone can find something he or she likes there at a reasonable price. PearlRidge has two, Ala Moana and Pearl Highlands each have one.
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
            Other good budget places include the Thai place inside the Pearl Highlands food court.
            I also give Nico's huge ups. I love that place, and I don't even like fish. I like it there, though. I really, really, really hate food courts, but glossyp is right about the Thai place in the Pearl Highlands food court. It's quite good, it's a great value, and the people-watching there is great.

For a few dollars more, the ambience and food at Perry's Smorgy (twelve bucks for dinner) is a good value, too, if you like buffets. You can spend two bucks less at Chan's Gourmet (their word, but definitely not mine!) Buffet for lousy ambience and so-so food, but those two dollars can make a big difference if you're paying for a large group. The lunch buffet at Chan's is $7.99.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

It definitely depends on the size of the crowd! Not sure if Subway can handle a family reunion. Some of the usual suspects for larger gatherings would be Treetops in Manoa and the Pagoda. Not overpriced and can handle a large group, but not gourmet food to be sure.
              Originally posted by glossyp
              I can recommend Nico's at Pier 38 for really good food at great prices. They open early for breakfast. Everything is tasty.
              All right, that's it. I can't believe I haven't made it here yet, after all the great raves. This is where I'm taking the wife for lunch today. See y'all in the "What's for lunch?" thread in a couple of hours...

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                All right, that's it. I can't believe I haven't made it here yet, after all the great raves. This is where I'm taking the wife for lunch today. See y'all in the "What's for lunch?" thread in a couple of hours...
                It's about time! Can't wait for the report!

I thought of a place in Aiea/Pearl City area that serves really great Japanese food, Tadashi. They are in the Pearl Kai SC. It's not super cheap but the food is very good. I'd describe the pricing as inexpensive to moderate. We went with a family group of eight and it was just about $20 per person including tip and we ate alot of food. They don't have a liquor license, so byob if you like beer with your sushi.

Comment

While the food at Nico's at Pier 38 was good I doubt it the place could handle a sizable amount of people. 8 people sure, over 50 people on the other hand, only as take out.

Comment

They cater, too. (Though their 'catering' page is still under construction.) But you'd need a venue.

Tadashi looks good, glossyp. Probably more "budget" than Shokudo. But Shokudo might work for a small group looking for something a little fancier (about a $25 per person average check).

Got a cuisine preference, poipndr?

Comment

Not necessarily for da' beeg reunion, but if you like take some of your cousins for a few drinks and ono 'kine pupus, family style, check out Side Street Inn, just a block over from Ala Moana S.C.

Da' Kal Bi is winnahz!
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

what about Pearl Country Club? you can get a room that seats as little as 50 or as big as 200. depending on lunch/dinner choices it could go from 17.95 to 21.95 per person.

another option is to go to any chinese restaurant. serves family style and kinda cheap.

but personally i'd go with the country club option.

http://www.pearlcc.com/banquet.html

Comment

This isn't on your list of places, but I think it might be worth a special trip: On Nuuanu Avenue near Hungry Lion and Radio Shack is a Thai food place. I don't remember what it's called but the food is authentic Thai served plate-lunch style for about $5 a plate (sticky rice is 50 cents extra). All their curries are super-ono. The only bad thing is that it takes them a long time to make your food (10-15 minutes) but there are tables and chairs and it's worth the wait.

Comment

There's also almost always a line, in addition to the wait. However, it is very, very good. Can't remember the name, either, but it's just past Nuuanu Shopping Plaza (formerly Chun Hoon), in the same building as Sam's Delicatessen (not a deli but a Korean plate-lunch place) and that laundromat. Highly recommended.
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                            X