Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Ramen on Oahu

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of doing a special report on my food blog about ramen (since there are so many places here that feature it, and so many ways to make it). I was wondering what your favorite places were so I can get an idea of where I should try to appropriately rank them!

Any input would be great :P

Right now the places that jump to mind for evaluation are:

Goma Tei
    Tenkaippin
    Kyoto Ramen
    Taiyo's
    Nihon Noodle
    Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Re: Best Ramen on Oahu

Goma Tei and Gomaichi for the exact same reason: Tan tan. That spicy sesame broth is unbelievable.

A distant (but very respectable) second goes to Tai Sei for its fresh-fresh-fresh noodles, made on the premises. These noodles are so good that even though they're great in standard ramen broths, they're better in something less powerful, such as the shoyu-vinegar sauce Tai Sei serves with its cold noodle dish.

The next tier is a bunch of interchangeable ramen bowls at Ayame, Ezogiku, Taiyo, and Young's.

Sumo is a few stories lower than those. Edible, but if you're a real fan, you'll wonder why you bothered. And huge negative points for not putting vinegar on the table.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

what about jimbo's?
      "chaos reigns within.
      reflect, repent and reboot.
      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Is Jimbo still open? I went when it first flung the doors wide, and was fairly impressed, but if I remember correctly it is an udon restaurant, and not a ramen shop. The broth and noodles were very, very well-prepared, but it's udon. Even the best-tasting udon in the world shouldn't cost you what Jimbo charges.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I like Taishōken on Keʻeaumoku Street.

Comment

i thought they were still open. sorry, udon, not ramen. my bad!
            "chaos reigns within.
            reflect, repent and reboot.
            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I haven't been there in a looooong time but I used to frequent Ezogiku in the Waimalu Shopping Center. It wasn't the BEST ramen in town, but it was always consistent and always good. Order the Gomoku (sp?) - it's not on the menu (or never used to be). It has everything in it!
              So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Add Sahnoya ramen on King Street to your list.

Comment

Originally posted by localmoco View Post
                  Add Sahnoya ramen on King Street to your list.
                  Sonoya is a passable bowl of ramen, but its strength is really that you can get it late. And don't expect to have your water-glass refilled unless you walk to the pitcher and get it yourself.
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
                    IOrder the Gomoku (sp?) - it's not on the menu (or never used to be). It has everything in it!
                    My mom managed that restaurant from sometime in my sixth grade year until about six years later. Gomoku ramen was always on the menu; it was one of the most popular orders.
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I love the one in the corner. Da one across Mckinley High School and Kaiser Permanente. They make onolicious Ramen and the Oyako Dumburi is #1. They give Kim Chee too. Try their Gozoya special.

Dang! Wat is the name?

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                        I love the one in the corner. Da one across Mckinley High School and Kaiser Permanente. They make onolicious Ramen and the Oyako Dumburi is #1. They give Kim Chee too. Try their Gozoya special.
                        Oh yeah. That used to be Ichi Ban Rahmen (their spelling, not mine). Can't remember what its current name is now. Yes, good ramen there; I'd put it at the top of the third tier: Not as good as Tai Sei but better than Ayame, Ezogiku, and Taiyo. The gyoza IS exceptional and the service is very friendly.

Dyasu, I have to add Mr. Ojisan to the list. Everything in it tastes like it was selected with great care and with attention paid to the quality of each ingredient. That's the only explanation I have for how good the ramen is there. It's tasty as heck and everything tastes fresh, although I'm quite sure the noodles are the standard noodles they use just about everywhere else. It's the everything else in the bowl that I admire. Get the miso ramen. And if you're there with a friend, split an order of karaage: It's ridiculously good there.

Oh, it just came to me. I think it's Ichi-Ryu.
                        Last edited by scrivener; March 17, 2008, 02:09 PM. Reason: "What is a youth? Impetuous fire. What is a maid? Ice and desire..."
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                          I like Taishōken on Keʻeaumoku Street.
                          I still have to try that. Did you get the noodle dish you dip in the broth?
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post

Dang! Wat is the name?

Auntie Lynn
                            Ichi-Ryu
                            Katsu curry is good too!
                            just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                              Oh, it just came to me. I think it's Ichi-Ryu.
                              Originally posted by jkpescador View Post
                              Ichi-Ryu
                              Katsu curry is good too!
                              Das da one...uh ah. Dances around my computa.
                              http://www.yelp.com/biz/ichi-ryu-noodles-house-honolulu

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn
                              Note: Picture taken from Cynthia A.of Yelp.
                              Attached Files
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                              X