Plate lunch questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plate lunch questions

I'm a super curious person, I do ask alotta questions about people and the way they do things when I meet them, and food is my favorite subject, so here are my questions...

What are your favorite plate lunch entrees?(please be descriptive if it is not a common food on the mainland, I've never been to Hawaii and I may not know what you are talking about)

Also, How do you make macaroni salad? I know there are at least 15 differnt ways to make it even just in my extended family, so I want to know what is you favorite way to make it or most of all what is your favorite kind to eat?

Re: plate lunch questions

Hi, Susie! I will try to answer the mac salad part of your question. Here macaroni salad has a mayonnaise based dressing, with the usual onion/green pepper addition, occ shredded carrot, and sometimes it is macaroni and potato salad mix with the mayonnaise dressing. In a plate lunch, it will include two scoop rice, the entree AND the mac or mac/potato salad. Carb city!

I haven't picked a favorite entree for a plate lunch; I did have the BEST eggplant in garlic sauce at L&L the other day...very tasty!

Comment

cyleet99: Don't forget that Grace's (at least back in the day, I haven't been there in a while) used to have all of these on their plate lunches: rice, mac salad, and noodles! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
        In a plate lunch, it will include two scoop rice, the entree AND the mac or mac/potato salad. Carb city!
        Carb city. You're not kidding!

More people are health conscious these days and in response, more eateries are offering mixed veggies in lieu of mac salad on a plate lunch.

Korean restaurants usually don't offer mac salad with their take-out meals. They'll stuff in a little paper or styrafoam cup filled with kim chee or some other pickled veggie of your choice.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

When I order plate lunch, I tell them to omit the rice. Some places will give a little bit extra entree or substitute green salad. And I give the mac salad to my husband... yuk, I can't eat that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
            cyleet99: Don't forget that Grace's (at least back in the day, I haven't been there in a while) used to have all of these on their plate lunches: rice, mac salad, and noodles! LOL!
            Don't forget, some people even order a spaghetti plate, with two scoop rice and mac salad (and maybe even garlic bread).

We had a mac salad thread a few years back.

I don't eat plate lunch as much as I used to, but my all-time favorite was the beef curry from Kaneda's lunch wagon (sadly, no more) at Kewalo Basin. It was the old local-style beef curry, not the one you find now days, which is thicker, spicier, and I think influence more by Japanese-style curries.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              Carb city. You're not kidding!

More people are health conscious these days and in response, more eateries are offering mixed veggies in lieu of mac salad on a plate lunch.

Korean restaurants usually don't offer mac salad with their take-out meals. They'll stuff in a little paper or styrafoam cup filled with kim chee or some other pickled veggie of your choice.
              While mac salad isn't common at Korean BBQ places, potato salad is....and just as high in carbs.

Comment

My favorite since 1985 was TWO meatloaf sandwiches from Tsukenjo wagon.
                I loved eating those sandwiches with mayo and ketchup and the cursory
                piece of iceberg lettuce with some chips and a cold bottle of water. I also
                loved their roast pork gravy all over.

Another favorite was "boneless gravy all over" from Rainbows. Unfortunately
                the last time I ate that I had it at kd lang's concert and later that night thought
                I was having a heart attack and ended up going to Castle for "observations"
                since I have no medical history due to adoption........I have not had it since
                mainly because I don't get to that part of the island that often. But I sure could go for one right now with mac salad!

Comment

Originally posted by susie View Post
                  What are your favorite plate lunch entrees?(please be descriptive if it is not a common food on the mainland, I've never been to Hawaii and I may not know what you are talking about)
                  The choice of entrees would be dependent on where you are purchasing your plate lunch from. For instance if I go to L&L Drive Inn (or L&L Hawaiian BBQ) I would order the BBQ Chicken plate lunch. If I went to Grace's then it will be the Chicken Katsu, mainly because they don't make the BBQ Chicken. I don't know what I will order at Zippy's but they too don't make BBQ Chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                    The choice of entrees would be dependent on where you are purchasing your plate lunch from. For instance if I go to L&L Drive Inn (or L&L Hawaiian BBQ) I would order the BBQ Chicken plate lunch. If I went to Grace's then it will be the Chicken Katsu, mainly because they don't make the BBQ Chicken. I don't know what I will order at Zippy's but they too don't make BBQ Chicken.
                    What is Chicken Katsu like?

Also, what is hawaiian bbq like? On the Mainland, Kansas City style is a tangy and flavorful sauce poured all over the meat before cooking. Southern style sauce is sweet, but spicy. And they usually use pork more often in the south whereas in KC they usually use beef. In Memphis they dry rub their bbq with spices and dip it in the sauce. I figure that if it is so different in different parts of the mainland, in Hawaii it must be a horse of a completely different color.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
                      While mac salad isn't common at Korean BBQ places, potato salad is....and just as high in carbs.
                      True, although the potato salad at Korean joints is something that is provided primarily for those patrons with "western" palates who want a non-veggie side dish. For the vast majority of Korean customers, the rice alone satisfies their need for starch.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

What is Chicken Katsu like?
                        Boneless chicken with a bread like crust. Served with one of two sauces.

There is a video intro to the L&L Hawaiian BBQ web site. Chicken Katsu is shown with the red sauce pouring over it (just before the shrimp being displayed).

Comment

What are your favorite plate lunch entrees?
                          Hamburger Steak.

Two hamburger patties covered in fried onions and slathered in gravy along with two ice cream scooper scoops of rice, plus a scoop of macaroni salad.

Looks like this:

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                            Hamburger Steak.

Two hamburger patties covered in fried onions and slathered in gravy along with two ice cream scooper scoops of rice, plus a scoop of macaroni salad.
                            OMG, my husband's favorite. I can't eat that way anymore.. gives me stomach pains!

Comment

the L&L website is very informational.

Comment

Working...
                              X