Hiff 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiff 2012

The 2012 Hawaii International Film Festival started yesterday. Anyone here a member? Going to see any movies? Which ones? The wife and I are trying to decide which ones to catch this year. Any suggestions?

http://www.hiff.org

Re: Hiff 2012

"Land of Eb" is quite wonderful
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

It turns out to be a busy week for us, so we didn't get to see any HIFF movies except for one: Cloud Atlas, the new Tom Hanks/Halle Berry movie. It's going to be released this Friday nationwide, but HIFF had an early screening last night. I thought it was brilliant, but I wonder if it's going to have much box office success. I can see how it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Without giving too much of it away, the movie tells six different stories simultaneously. The stories are from different periods in time -- the 19th century, 20th, 21st, 22nd, etc -- but they are intertwined in interesting and poignant ways.

Despite being almost 3 hours long, the pacing was either quick or frantic. I guess with so much story to tell, they can't spend too much time on each one. They cut between the 6 stories frequently and without warning, characters are quickly introduced, and you have to mentally fill in the backstory yourself as the story is rushed along. You have to pay attention, or some of the subtleties of the stories and how they're related may escape you.

It would also help if you're a sci-fi fan. For the future story lines, some common sci-fi themes go unexplained, and as I've explained above, you'll have to fill in the backstory yourself to make sense of those parts of the movie.

Interestingly, they had the same actors play characters of different races, ethnicities, nationalities and even genders. For example, Halle Berry is white in one of the stories, Hugo Weaving (Agent Smith from The Matrix) is Asian in one story and female in another, a couple of Asian actresses play white women, and Hugh Grant is British and American in different stories. My favorite character was a psychopathic Irish thug played by Tom Hanks. I would love to see a movie based off just that one character.

Comment

Just as a remindair there is already a thread for the movie Cloud Atlas. If you want to followup on zff's post about the movie itself please go to the Cloud Atlas thread (where part of that post is requoted there). Otherwise this thread is about the HIFF 2012 event itself.

Comment

Working...
        X