Big dogs, in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big dogs, in Hawaii

I have seen plenty of people on oahu while visiting with Pit Bull dogs, my gorlfriend and I are moving to Oahu but not for 2 year. We are not just the usual people saying it, we really are but just waiting until we finish school. We are both 28.

I have 2 question, does anyone know any places that accept those kinds of dogs in apartments or rented houses? Our dogs are american bulldog, weimeriner (sp) mixes, but they look like full blown pitbulls. No biting history, they do not bark and are super friendly. I am also aware of the steps I have to take in order to get them to the islands. Who knows people with these kinds of dogs and in what area/apartments do they reside in?

Next question. wilikina dr, is this a bad area, the adress is in the 1600's it would accept my dogs but I just wanted to know if this was a high crime area. I know it is really close to schofield. A few people said traffic is loud, but I do not consider that a bad area. Bad to me would be, shooting, stabbing, house break ins, drug houses etc. It is in Wahiawa. Anyone know??

Re: Big dogs, in Hawaii

The humane society keeps a listing of pet friendly apartment and home rentals. Try googling it or giving them a jingle.

Comment

thanks man, any info on wilikina dr?

Comment

Vanilla lives on another island. Your best bet will be to give your Wilikina Dr. question a little more time. There are a couple of HTers who live in the Wahiawa area but they're not on HT every day. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by mike23 View Post
          Next question. wilikina dr, is this a bad area, the adress is in the 1600's it would accept my dogs but I just wanted to know if this was a high crime area. I know it is really close to schofield. A few people said traffic is loud, but I do not consider that a bad area. Bad to me would be, shooting, stabbing, house break ins, drug houses etc. It is in Wahiawa. Anyone know??
          If you want the official numbers, check out the HPD's statistics page:

http://www.honolulupd.org/statistics/index.htm

Comment

if you are not planning a move for 2 more years, maybe these questions are a bit premature? I can certainly understand wanting to learn more about living here. But..............in 2 years, you may have different dogs (or no dogs), any area you ask about may have totally changed and YOU may have totally changed your situation.

Keep doing your research, keep visiting and keep learning. You've certainly got the right ideas. But I am curious - how did you decide on Wahiawa as a place to live? It's not the typical destination for someone moving here .

Welcome to HT!
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
              if you are not planning a move for 2 more years, maybe these questions are a bit premature? I can certainly understand wanting to learn more about living here. But..............in 2 years, you may have different dogs (or no dogs), any area you ask about may have totally changed and YOU may have totally changed your situation.

Keep doing your research, keep visiting and keep learning. You've certainly got the right ideas. But I am curious - how did you decide on Wahiawa as a place to live? It's not the typical destination for someone moving here .

Welcome to HT!
              Well it may be premature, but time goes by rather quickly and it never hurts to ask.

I will still have my dogs for sure. Unless of course they die? They are 1 year old. The only reason I am considering Wahiawa is because the guy I have been in contact with for a while has 2 Pit Bulls and has 2 properties. One is in honolulu, but he won't accept pets in that one due to certain neighbors, and not wanting to get people upset? Then he has the one in Wahiawa which he accepts these specific type dogs.

This is not set in stone because he may not have the property when it's time, or whatever but having this in mind would not be a bad thing.

Our plan is to save enough money to go there and look for a place and have about 6-9 months worth of expenses.

Thanks, for the help and any other info ould be welcomed.

Comment

you're right - time does go by fast. The man you're talking to is correct about those types of dogs upsetting/scaring neighbors.

Good luck to you in your plans and I hope everything works out well for you with your move.
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                  you're right - time does go by fast. The man you're talking to is correct about those types of dogs upsetting/scaring neighbors.

Good luck to you in your plans and I hope everything works out well for you with your move.
                  I don't see why? Those kinds of dogs seem to be very popular in hawaii. Eveywhere I walked someone somehere was walking one, and no one seemed to care. Anyways, thanks for the advise.

Comment

Originally posted by mike23 View Post
                    I don't see why? Those kinds of dogs seem to be very popular in hawaii. Eveywhere I walked someone somehere was walking one, and no one seemed to care. Anyways, thanks for the advise.
                    Perhaps you've seen larger dogs being walked by homeowners. Or by people who live with family that own the property. Or, by the lucky renter who had found a landlord who accepts big dogs. But be forwarned that many landlords will NOT accept big dogs due to the potential property owner's liability if someone is injured by the dog on their property, even if the dog belongs to a renter.

You are smart to start thinking about these things ahead of time, so you are not caught by suprise if it takes extra effort to find a rental home. Good luck.
                    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Yes, I would bet they are homeowners. That is why I bought my now overpriced home instead of renting. We have a large dog and could not find a rental property (and we had a $4K a month budget for rent) that would accept a dog - even with a security deposit, etc.

Basically, from my experience (and I am also a humane society volunteer), if you have a dog over 20 lbs, you can kiss the idea of renting goodbye---except for a few either animal-loving-landlords or desperate ones (read: dumps).

My two cents----be careful, and plan ahead---which you have. I would hate to have to see you take your dogs into the humane society because you couldn't find or keep a rental with them. We have too many dogs at our shelters as it is.

Comment

I drive Wilikina Drive almost daily by Schofield. I believe the 1600 block you are referring to is one of the condo buildings on this map. (Click on the satellite view.) There are two, one by the military housing and one just north next to the biker bar. The area along Wilikina is a typical "just outside the base" clutter of small businesses and low-rent housing. Personally, I would be careful about renting in that area sight unseen; you will need good building security. The housing and businesses you see from the road are pretty rundown; I would get a tattoo elsewhere.

I have not lived there, but I can tell you what I see around it. The housing you see just adjacent to one of the buildings is military housing, fenced in, so I don't think the condo owners have access. I could be wrong. Across the street is the military base, so no access there either unless you are military. Up the street is a biker bar, a pizza place and a few other businesses.

The reservoir (aka Lake Wilson) behind the building has trees, but it has a deep slope close to the back of the building down to the water. Don't eat the fish...the reservoir is famous for its levels of pollution. As far as big dogs are concerned, just be ready for closeness and not a lot of exercise area. Also remember if you can have multiple large dogs, so can all the other residents of the building, all 5-6 floors of it.

Your nearest shopping is in Wahiawa and in Mililani. It is 15 minutes to the North Shore. There are several bus stops near this area.

Comment

Thanks, I really would like to find someone who is renting a house. Preferably someone with dogs, and understands. There has to be be people who rent houses. Can't someone make you sign something that staing any damage done by the dog or otherwise I would be completely responsible for? That would make sense to me, but who knows. I have 2 dogs, and there is a possibility I woudl let my mother take the bigger one just incase, I dont want to, but I may have too

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                            But be forwarned that many landlords will NOT accept big dogs due to the potential property owner's liability if someone is injured by the dog on their property, even if the dog belongs to a renter.
                            We'd have a lot more vacancies in our rental if we didn't accept pets. Even if the tenants start out petless, it just encourages them to try to hide the evidence.

Our current tenant has a grown chocolate Lab and two cats. She had to go through dozens of places before we listed ours. She understands that her security deposit may go toward cleaning up pet damage. It's the cost of being a pet owner. From a carpet-cleaning and wall-painting perspective, I'd rather have a tenant with pets than parents with toilet-training toddlers.

Aggressive dogs are exactly what liability insurance is for. No company would cancel coverage or jack up the premiums for a single incident. Bites & attacks get a lot of publicity but statistically they're rare and a relatively cheap part of an insurance company's business. Of course they'd "encourage" the landlord to get rid of the dog, if not the tenant, but if a dog attack actually led to lawsuits then the city & state would weigh in well before the insurance company got around to it.
                            Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                            Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                            Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                              We'd have a lot more vacancies in our rental if we didn't accept pets. Even if the tenants start out petless, it just encourages them to try to hide the evidence.

Our current tenant has a grown chocolate Lab and two cats. She had to go through dozens of places before we listed ours. She understands that her security deposit may go toward cleaning up pet damage. It's the cost of being a pet owner. From a carpet-cleaning and wall-painting perspective, I'd rather have a tenant with pets than parents with toilet-training toddlers.

Aggressive dogs are exactly what liability insurance is for. No company would cancel coverage or jack up the premiums for a single incident. Bites & attacks get a lot of publicity but statistically they're rare and a relatively cheap part of an insurance company's business. Of course they'd "encourage" the landlord to get rid of the dog, if not the tenant, but if a dog attack actually led to lawsuits then the city & state would weigh in well before the insurance company got around to it.
                              DO you mind if I ask what apartments you rent? Or if you have a site, or something that I can keep in mind for the future.

Thanks for the post.

Comment

Working...
                              X